User Avatar Image

Books: a literary discussion

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

57ASs.jpg

So I've been eying and lusting after a nook and its fancy new 1.3 firmware even though I know I can't afford one. And all that looking at something meant to read books made me think about...BOOKS.

Let's talk about books. Anybody read anything recent that was really good? Have an obscure old favorite?

Where do you read books? When do you read them? What books do you read? How do you read books?

Etc and so forth.

If it involves books, say it. I'd like some good recommendations on recently published books and currently running ongoing series, too.

My favorite book of all time is Dumas's "Count of Monte Cristo"(or at least the unabridged English translation), though I of course love the geek standbys as well(Hitchhiker's Guide, Neuromancer, Slaughterhouse-Five, Snow Crash, et all). I also have Star Wars books as somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

Also, this isn't the thread about pictures of boobs. There shouldn't be pictures of boobs in this thread.

...unless it's a picture of a book that just HAPPENS to contain boobs. Because then it's absolutely on-topic and worthy of discussion.

SO.

BOOKS.

268 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If you guys aren't doing a group book read, I'm reading Dracula anyway. I'm tired of putting it off.

• @Secret Fawful said: If you guys aren't doing a group book read, I'm reading Dracula anyway. I'm tired of putting it off.

I'll read Dracula too! I had to put it off due to finals, but now... I'm free!:D

• Every human beeing wih a heart beating in her/his chest should at least have read one book from Jack Vance.

I suggest getting Alastor for example. I can't remember how many people i bought this book already, i once got it as a present as well. Trust me, this is awesome and i rarely use this word!

alastor-tor1995.jpg

• Taking place over a single night, “Ticktock” by Dean Koontz is a story that puts your brain on standby and simply pulls you along for the ride.

Vietnamese-American Tommy Phan drives his mother crazy by forsaking the old Asian traditions. When he finds a peculiar doll at his doorstep, however, the tables are turned and the craziness he has to face never stops.

In his own afterword, Koontz calls “Ticktock” a screwball comedy and indeed, the tale is filled with humour, though sometimes a particular comedic line seems a little forced or overdone. Nevertheless, the book is a very good prelude to future stories like “Life Expectancy” and “Relentless”. While “Ticktock” might seem a very simple and somewhat silly story about which many people say it’s not really worthy of the Koontz byline, there’s more to it than meets the eye.

Even though the main character has Vietnamese origins, Koontz never goes overboard with the Asian references as he does with the pastry analogies in “Life Expectancy”. Though constantly comparing the character’s life with his own fictional child, detective Chip Nguyen, does get old after a while. After all the military or law inforcement trained heroes, being a regular guy makes Tommy Phan a real breath of fresh air.

Straying even more from the formula, the heroine of the story this time is the one to call the shots. Deliverance Payne is to me personally one of the more memorable Koontz characters and I’ve always felt there’s so much more story to her than is told in these few pages.

The villain of the piece is a supernatural monster straight out of a horror movie, very similar to the golem in “Dragon Tears”. In this very lighthearted story, the creature at first comes over more as some kind of gremlin, but when our heroes witness the screams of a pair of innocent victims, the reader is hit with the seriousness of the situation and for me personally, that scene immediately puts the story in a completely different mood.

“Ticktock” is a rather quick read, with great dialogue and no real long paragraphs judging some aspect of society. It’ll resonate with some people, but not everyone will find it memorable.

• So I just wanted to recommend the book I'm reading right now, Haruki Murakami's South of the Border, West of the Sun. It taps into a feeling anyone who's been in love will be familiar with: a forbidden yearning for the past you can't grab onto, because you'll hurt and maybe harm someone else in the process. It captures the essence of a past life of mine, but it somehow feels global and not personal. It's really quite lovely.

southoftheborder.jpg

Read it, everyone, especially if you've loved and lost.

• And if you like that one, you should give Sputnik Sweethearts and Norwegian Wood a read as well.

• Oh wow, let's see... I have a whole range of books I read, and it didn't help that I was a complete and total bookworm for most of Middle School. Let's see what books I loved that I can remember at the moment

-"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (entire series) by Douglas Adams. Kudos to my Math Teacher in middle school who suggested that book to me, read that book 5 times in a row for two years.

-"Eat. Pray. Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Ok, so it's a girly book, sue me! That book put me in such a good mood throughout Senior Year. I should read it again.

-A lot of Tracy Chevalier's books like "Girl With A Pearl Earring", "Falling Angels". Basically, they were books taking place back in the early days. I don't remember much, but I remember loving the books. My English teacher tested me on her books while the rest of my class read books like "The Pearl" or "Of Mice and Men" (both books that I wasn't a fan of. Can't remember it for the life of me).

-"Catcher in the Rye" and "To Kill a Mocking Bird" were the only two books I actually took the time to sit down and read. I really enjoyed those books.

-I also loved Dan Brown's work (The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Lost Symbol, Deception Point etc.) I'm a sucker for mystery and suspense.

-I also like reading books from comedians and film directors, so I have Kevin Smith's "My Boring Ass Life" (great book to read when traveling) and I love George Carlin's work. I have all of his stand up routine books: "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?" "Napalm and Silly Putty", "Brain Droppings" and I also have the newest (and unfortunately last) book "Last Words" which is more of his biography (or "sortabiography" as he called it) then a stand up routine.

-Currently, I'm reading a book called "The Bronze Horseman" which takes place in Soviet Russia during World War II. Finally found time to sit down and read it.

Now, there are plenty of other books I've read, but I just can't remember (and too damn lazy) to type the rest.

• Kindle firmware update, version 2.5.3 is finally out.

Amazon's site lists the following as what was changed:

Kindle Version 2.5 Overview

We're excited to announce that a new, free software update is now available for Kindle and will be automatically delivered to your device. The features included in this update are:

[LIST]
    [*]Collections: Organize your books and documents into one or more collections.
    [*]PDF Pan and Zoom: Zoom into PDFs and pan around to easily view small print and detailed tables or graphics.
    [*]Password Protection: Password protect your Kindle when you're not using it.
    [*]More Font Sizes & Improved Clarity: Enjoy two new larger font sizes and sharper fonts for an even more comfortable reading experience.
    [*]Facebook & Twitter Posts: Share meaningful book passages with friends on Facebook and Twitter directly from your Kindle.
    [*]Popular Highlights: See what the Kindle community thinks are the most interesting passages in the books you're reading.
    [/LIST]

My wife and I aren't going to use the "popular highlights" or Twitter/Facebook update. However, I have already started creating collections, and they're quite useful.

62174194.png

Also, the update doesn't mention it, but I'm almost sure that the Kindle didn't used to have a way of displaying book titles that were too long to fit. But now they do display when highlighted (as shown below.) If a title is still too long when highlighted, the text will wrap to a smaller font just below the progress bar.

67855531.png

Also, I'm not going to use them, but now the Kindle has 2 more (huge) font sizes.

85094977.png

Nevermind the skin on the border of the device. It is my wife's after all.

• My wife and I like listening to music, but we find that often times we instead listen to audio books, most commonly the Stephen Fry (UK) version of the Harry Potter series. The whole series.

I didn't used to read very often, but since I got back into reading after I got introduced to Harry Potter (about the time book 4 came out,) I find that I read a lot now.

"Weasley can save anything,
    He never leaves a single ring,
    That's why Gryffindors all sing:
    Weasley is our King."

• While I rather enjoy reading I have been rather inactive on it until recently. A friend suggested me to read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a fantasy book and it's simply amazing. It's helped me start reading on a regular basis again because the writing makes me feel like I'm there and it's so well written that I'm already excited that the second book will be out later this year and I'm not even done with the book yet.

As for how we're listing our favorites I would have to say: Harry Potter series, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, Oracle Night by Paul Auster, The Dark Tower series, Firestarter by Stephen King, The Regulators by Richard Bachman, Brave New World, Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn, and The Tempest by Shakespeare.

Add Comment