User Avatar Image

Found out why I didn't enjoy ToMi Soundtrack as much as the others

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 296 users

Clint Bajakian didn't help composing it! Seriously! He made the entire Outlaws soundtrack which is one of my favorites ever, and I just recently found out he helped Michael Land with Escape and LeChuck's Revenge music, which are my favorites for the Monkey series.

;)

Here comes the troll accusations

53 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How dare you have an opinion! I call troll.

• Hahahahaha, but seriously, last time I stated I didn't like ToMI's rushed soundtrack people got overly angry at me.

• I didn't really dislike it, but it's certainly my least favorite soundtrack out of all the games. (yes, even EMI) Something about it is just not as memorable. It's hard to describe but even in the old games the tunes just sounded more lively and "organic."

• I still blame the Wii for this, why get a brilliant composer like Michael Land and then restrict him because of some stupid limits on a consoles hardware. The music he done on his own for Curse and Melee Island on Escape are brilliant.

• @Ash735 said: I still blame the Wii for this, why get a brilliant composer like Michael Land and then restrict him because of some stupid limits on a consoles hardware. The music he done on his own for Curse and Melee Island on Escape are brilliant.

Uhm, hardware restrictions didn't stop the earlier MI games from having some of the best music ever in games. That's really a completely nonsense, and only an excuse to bash the Wii.

The problem with the music in Tales, to me, was that it didn't play an as important role as it did in the earlier games. In Tales, it was less intrusive, less present. It just laid there in the background, and felt like it was there just to have music. For me, in certain games, music should be the main focus to create an atmosphere, and it feels like it was downplayed a lot in Tales. But I guess it could depend on how important you think music is and how much you love music in general.

• Yes but earlier MI Games that were wholly MIDI based didn't have Voices and other sound effects distractions, once Monkey Island got them, the soundtrack itself went fully scored, dialling back to MIDI based but still having the voices and sound effects minimize the feeling of the music even more, plus the samples were short, there were barely any tracks over 1:20.

• What about CMI then? And Escape? Just face it, hardware restrictions is not an excuse for less-than-stellar music. A good song is good, wether it's played through simple PC stereo speakers or a massive HI-FI system. Blaming the Wii for not being able to compose great music is really just plain dumb.

• Good grief -- I'm a serious collector of film, television and game music, and I can safely say that I rank ToMI as among the best music in the franchise, well above the last two entries! Oh well...

• Right now I can't say that TMI's music is memorable, but thats not it's fault. I think after replaying it will give me my opinion. (Just waiting for the dvd to arrive!)

Add Comment