User Avatar Image

Found out why I didn't enjoy ToMi Soundtrack as much as the others

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 282 users

Clint Bajakian didn't help composing it! Seriously! He made the entire Outlaws soundtrack which is one of my favorites ever, and I just recently found out he helped Michael Land with Escape and LeChuck's Revenge music, which are my favorites for the Monkey series.

;)

Here comes the troll accusations

53 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ Stareye: Wait, what? What limitation was there on CMI's OST? I can't think any.

And yeah, sadly, ToMI's isn't as memorable as the others, and I agree that's most probable due to the Wii. S&M series and Wallace & Gromnit aren't as limited in the musical area as ToMI was...

• @Hassat Hunter said: @ Stareye: Wait, what? What limitation was there on CMI's OST? I can't think any.

And yeah, sadly, ToMI's isn't as memorable as the others, and I agree that's most probable due to the Wii. S&M series and Wallace & Gromnit aren't as limited in the musical area as ToMI was...

Wasn't it midi?

• Yeah, that's the problem I had with the music. Not memorable. Too atmospheric and forgettable. Not enough caribbean feel!

I did like the tune as you drop down to find the Manatee. Otherwise it was all reasonably well-done music, but pretty forgettable.

• Ironically, the best piece of music was from Monkey Island 2.

• @StarEye said: Wasn't it midi?

Pretty sure it wasn't.

• @StarEye said: Wasn't it midi?

CMI's soundtrack was digital audio with a large share of live instruments... so was EMI. And I agree that it's difficult to compare the effect of the soundtracks from MI1 and MI2 with the later games, because those had voice over and ambient sounds, which "distracts" from the music a bit, and requires the compositions to stay a little more in the background. In MI1 and MI2 on the other hand the music was basically the only soundscape the games had (ignoring the occasional sound effects).

I personally like MI2's soundtrack the best, but ToMI's soundtrack had its high points, especially in the later chapters. I agree though, that the pure MIDI takes a little bit away from the potential the new compositions had.

• Again, I disagree. I think Tales' music stands out as some of the better compositions in the series. Maybe not the best original melodies (this belongs to Secret and Revenge), but in terms of the themes carried over from the other games it made excellent use of them, especially Chapter Five when previous themes were made more dramatic than ever before. So they were based from midi. So they had to be compressed on the Wii. So what? Michael Land is an excellent composer and he not only delivered a great soundtrack, but pulled it off as a one man band.

Listen to this and tell me it's not awesome:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzslUbKeLhg

And don't get me wrong, the game did create Winslow's theme, Morgan's Theme and DeSinge's theme, all of which are extremely memorable to me.

Not arguing! Just stating my opinion. It seems like everyone on the board recently has begun to hate or nitpick at TMI these past few months. Hmm...maybe Monkey Island 2: Special Edition has us all distracted or something.

• I think the music was really great, but then again I haven't really played the other games (Shame on me) to compare the music.

But I think ToMI music caught the mood just right, I can listen to them all in a row, and only very few times do I have to skip one.

• @thin029 said: Clint Bajakian didn't help composing it! Seriously! He made the entire Outlaws soundtrack which is one of my favorites ever, and I just recently found out he helped Michael Land with Escape and LeChuck's Revenge music, which are my favorites for the Monkey series.

;)

Here comes the troll accusations

You do know that Clint Bajakian had nothing to do with the soundtracks for SMI or CMI either, right?

• Of course I know, that's why I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING about those games' music.
    Duh.

Add Comment