User Avatar Image

WASD + mouse VS gamepad in TPZ - which one's the better gaming experience?

posted by Pantagruel's Friend on - last edited - Viewed by 827 users

I bought a gamepad recently, and was really curious how The Penal Zone plays with it, as there were some people full of praises for the fluency and natural feel of the game when playing with a gamepad.

Up to this point, I'm somewhat disappointed with the results - it's OK to play with the gamepad, moving around is definitely better than WASD, but then, environment interaction is much better with the mouse. I'm interested in what others think about the issue, so I put up this poll. And especially those who find the gamepad solution superior - why do you think / feel so?

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Pantagruel's Friend said: I bought a gamepad recently, and was really curious how The Penal Zone plays with it, as there were some people full of praises for the fluency and natural feel of the game when playing with a gamepad.

Up to this point, I'm somewhat disappointed with the results - it's OK to play with the gamepad, moving around is definitely better than WASD, but then, environment interaction is much better with the mouse. I'm interested in what others think about the issue, so I put up this poll. And especially those who find the gamepad solution superior - why do you think / feel so?

I started playing with the gamepad and it just didn't do it for me. I ended up switching for click and drag which I found much better and not as awkward as in ToMI. I find both superior to WASD though.

• I love how using the gamepad lets me play while leaning backward instead of forward. With a good chair that makes for a really good experience. Mouse + WASD is pretty good too, though, and I like it more than click-and-drag.

• arrowkeys + mouse is the best.

• I like how playing with a gamepad feels with my computer hooked up to a television. It lets me sit back and relax, and because the Sam and Max games aren't particularly intense or detail-centric, playing on a TV isn't a disadvantage(as it might be for a game of Civilization, for example). I played all of episode 1 with a gamepad, and I never once had trouble selecting things or performing any action. It's also nice that I can push a button to perform some actions, like going into Max mode, and not having to click an icon in the top right corner of the screen.

• I'm a huge fan of click'n'dragging.
    Haven't had the experience of a gamepad though, so I can't contribute anything. (Other than I'm not really a fan of the keyboard.)

• It all really depends on the game , things like Tomb raider, Resident evil, Metal gear all play very fluidly with gamepads, most PC elitists will say that keys and mouse are better for everything. Even FPS games, personally i prefer to pull a trigger than to click a mouse, but for any point n click game, prefer to use the mouse to .. point and ... uh .. click,

I also think the wiimote is a great way of playing sports/sword games but for playing a point n click games , i think my arm would just get tired.

I think as humans we tend to imprint ourselves on the first medium we encounter so I bet the people that prefer gamepads had a console before a pc/mac (or ZX) and vice versa

• @Dage said: I think as humans we tend to imprint ourselves on the first medium we encounter so I bet the people that prefer gamepads had a console before a pc/mac (or ZX) and vice versa

I had consoles first. Had had a nintendo, super nintendo, game boy, game gear, game boy pocket, N64 and possibly gameboy advance before I had a computer.
    I had played at least the frst 3 before I played on a computer (which was long before I had one).

And obviously there are people who prefer click and drag even though its new. I put your theory in doubt.

• I wonder how many people who voted have tried playing with a gamepad. Not doubting the validity of poll results or anything, but I don't know how many people have actually tried every control option.

Add Comment