38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: Sam & Max: Freelance Police was all but finished when they canned that. The game was complete.

The other main difference between the Sam & Max cancellation and what people are worried about happening now is at the time S&M was canceled digital distribution didn't exist. LucasArts would have had to put money into printing and shipping discs. With MI2: SE pretty much all the money that was going to go into it has already gone into it. Since it's being distributed electronically there are no additional costs.

S&M was canceled because of a business decision (right or wrong), LA thought they would lose money on the game. With MI2:SE they're at the point where they can only make money, why would any company throw away profits?

Really, times have changed, the industry has changed. Sam & Max and MI2:SE are two completely different animals.

• @Thespis said: With MI2:SE they're at the point where they can only make money, why would any company throw away profits?

I have no idea, but sometimes (more regularly than seems "common sense") they do that.
    For example because they think that time spend by the devs could be spend on a more profitable game. Sacrificing $5M for $50M isn't that hard a decision now, ain't it?

So yeah, it's a dangerous time. Let's hope for the best.

• Well DAMN... does this mean more SE are unlikely? I hope they get a replacement with as much, if not MORE love of the old adventure games that made Lucasarts games the huge thing they are today.

Eugh... let's hope Lucasarts don't pull another retard moron moment and decide there's "No market for adventure games" again. Imbeciles.

• Oh no!!!! Worsest news of the year... :(

I hope It doesn't hurt the adventure remakes or Tales of Monkey Island Season 2...

Thanks for bringing back the adventure legacy to LucasArts, Darrell! We will miss you...

• well even if they focas on star wars they can still licence out a a new series cos they wont be doing any work on it TTG will be doing it all.

• Yeah its sad what has become of Lucas Arts, they might redeem themselves someday, but i doubt it.

Surely they must soon become tired of doing mediocre starwars games?, even the new movies sucks in comparison to the old.

Go back and do more adventure games, its kinda scary to think about then, its all by chance the Sam & max licens expired, who knows we might never have gotten to play Sam & max or telltale might just have never become anything special.

Crazy world.

Hopefully if they havent lost all their talented people, they will learn something from these HD remakes, enough to maybe take a shot at a new adventure game.

First 2 games i got for my first PC was Day Of The Tentacle follow by Sam & max, those games holds a specielt place above all else :)

Would just be so nice if Telltale could aquire the right to do more DOTT. /dream.

• @RMJ1984 said: Hopefully if they havent lost all their talented people, they will learn something from these HD remakes, enough to maybe take a shot at a new adventure game.

They did. Most of them ended up at TTG though.
    Sure, they might have new talent, but that's hard to tell without a new title.

• I think chances of a season 2 of TOMI just got smaller!

• @StarEye said: Prepare yourself for Monkey Island Kart Racing, Grim Fandango Snowboarding and Day of the Tentacle Bungie Jumping.

Sadly, I'd probably buy all three.

• @Everlast said: I think chances of a season 2 of TOMI just got smaller!

From 98% to 97.99%?

Add Comment