User Avatar Image

Did Curse destroy Monkey Island?

posted by Ash735 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

Clearly there are a few people here that view Curse as the actual down point of the series, really laying into it, saying that the series would be better off dead than to have the Curse/Escape/Tales stories. Now, strong views, could be because of how they perceive the story or it could be something to do with the lack of Ron Gilbert being the main series runner once MI2 ended, but here's a coin flip thread, for anything that was done/explained in Curse, I'm going to take a look at why it was BAD and why it was GOOD. So let's get started:

THE BIG ONE: It was all a Dream/Curse??
BAD: In Monkey Island 1 and 2 we have many modern day references, as Monkey Island 2 progresses further into weirdness at the end we learn that LeChuck and Guybrush are brothers and are really kids at some amusement park, we're lead to believe that the series was actually in the head of a child with an over active imagination, as the credits roll we see Chuckie's eyes glow and somewhat resemble LeChuck facial features, but hey, this is just a cheeky nod to the gamer right? If we believe this route, then there would never be a Monkey Island 3, the idea is out, why would gamers want to play a game storyline they know is just the imagination of some kid, any threatening things in such story wouldn't matter anymore (which is odd seeing as Guybrush can Die in both Monkey Island 1 and 2). There were loads of book titles in the library that mention why Trilogies suck, etc so even though the idea was mentioned afterwards, Monkey Island 2 WAS meant to be the final story, the shock ending was meant to show the gamer that this amazing world they've been in for so long was actually just the dreams of a little boy.

GOOD: But wait, Chuckie's face turns into LeChuck as Guybrush and his parents walk away from him, and let's talk about Big Whoop, in the story, we already know that Four Crewmen and even LeChuck himself have seen Big Whoop and how terrible it is, yet here, in this odd tunnel, the crate is smashed, there is nothing in this crate except for a single E-Ticket, somethings not right here. Then we start seeing things from Melee Island and even the street from Melee Island itself, this is all getting weirder by the minute. Then comes the moment when Guybrush finally rips apart LeChuck, but wait, he's our Brother, our Kid Brother? And this Janitor appears telling us to get out? Then we get our weird ending, with the sinister glance from LeChuck to the player letting us know something is not right. And of course during the end credits we flash back to the Monkey Island universe where Elaine is waiting for Guybrush and comments that she hopes LeChucks hasn't put some kind of Curse on him and this is what Curse and essentially the rest of the series has built upon, has the rest of a series continued on from a throw away joke at the end of MI2, or was Guybrush really cursed and everything from waking up in the tunnels fake?

-- Coming Soon, LeChuck is a Cartoon Villain? The Four Map Pieces Explanation? An Amusement Park?? Continuity Problems? --

195 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm wondering if we get more information on the ending of MI2 in the commentary they will include in MI2:SE.

• How can Puerto Pollo be so horribly unpirat-ey but Booty Island get a pass? Used coffin salesmen, a spitting contest, Elaine's Mardi Gras bash? And I loved Booty Island by the way.

Not everybody was going to like the graphic style. And if they were making a new game, what do people expect them to do with the bizarre ending that was LeChuck's Revenge?

I for one am happier with a whole slew of mostly high-rated games as opposed to just two games, one nding on a confusing cliffhanger.

• Thread would have been more original if it said did curse curse monkey island. People would be like too easy...but it would still flow better than destroyed. Just saying...

• @DonCopal said: How can Puerto Pollo be so horribly unpirat-ey but Booty Island get a pass? Used coffin salesmen, a spitting contest, Elaine's Mardi Gras bash? And I loved Booty Island by the way.

This.

• I wouldn't be surprised if GB passed out from the torture in those catacombs and the ending was just a dream.

• I loved CMI, I feel that it was a great finish to the original trilogy. Yep, a great trilogy, topped of years later by the excellent Tales of Monkey Island series by TellTale Games! :D (I know that there was a fourth game in the series, Escape from Monkey Island, but I'm still in denial about that game because it sucked so much! :p )

CMI was a great game with just the right type of cartoon-ish graphics, and it had some excellent voice acting and not to mention a great story with side-splitting jokes. The only gripe I have about it is that it felt shorter and more linear than the previous two. But all in all, CMI was a sequel that took a step in the right direction, and I feel that the elements it added, like the Carneval of the damned, the explanation of the map pieces, the fate of Captain Marley etc. fitted in nicely with the continuity.

If any entry in the series "destroyed" Monkey Island, it was Escape. They rewrote almost the whole continuity and nearly destroyed it. It also turned Guybrush from a loveable adventurer with a big heart to an annoying and boring wimp. Thank god for the Tales series! It saved the entire franchise! :D

• So am I the only person who always linked spitoons with pirates? Pirates are dirty, messy, and jovial about being dirty and messy and mean and tough(as shown in Secret). It never seemed out of pirate character to spit at things, or compare how far one could spit at things.

Also, Elaine's Mardi Gras was not run by pirates. Stan wore a pirate hat, but I always assumed that was because In the first two games, he sold boats. In the original two games, I always felt there was a distinction between who was a pirate and who was definitely not a pirate. In Curse, we started seeing this trend where almost everybody is a pirate. That guy who runs the restaurant? Pirate. Singing barbers? Pirates. Cabana club...for retired pirates. People who are not pirates are exempt from the complaint "they don't act like pirates". Pirates, on the other hand, don't get that luxury.

@Robert B said: I loved CMI, I feel that it was a great finish to the original trilogy. Yep, a great trilogy, topped of years later by the excellent Tales of Monkey Island series by TellTale Games! :D (I know that there was a fourth game in the series, Escape from Monkey Island, but I'm still in denial about that game because it sucked so much! :p )

CMI was a great game with just the right type of cartoon-ish graphics, and it had some excellent voice acting and not to mention a great story with side-splitting jokes. The only gripe I have about it is that it felt shorter and more linear than the previous two. But all in all, CMI was a sequel that took a step in the right direction, and I feel that the elements it added, like the Carneval of the damned, the explanation of the map pieces, the fate of Captain Marley etc. fitted in nicely with the continuity.

If any entry in the series "destroyed" Monkey Island, it was Escape. They rewrote almost the whole continuity and nearly destroyed it. It also turned Guybrush from a loveable adventurer with a big heart to an annoying and boring wimp. Thank god for the Tales series! It saved the entire franchise! :D

An entry that doesn't affect the series going forward at all can't destroy it. If general consensus means that Escape from Monkey Island is almost erased from history, it can't harm anything. However, if(for example) stick limbs and a Manny-shaped skull are adopted for every game going forward, including retroactively changing the original games to fit with the critically and financially successful sequel...that seems like it has a strong enough effect on the series going forward to "destroy" it if the general atmosphere is distinct enough from the original games.

• @Robert B said: I loved CMI, I feel that it was a great finish to the original trilogy. Yep, a great trilogy, topped of years later by the excellent Tales of Monkey Island series by TellTale Games! :D (I know that there was a fourth game in the series, Escape from Monkey Island, but I'm still in denial about that game because it sucked so much! :p )

Le sigh...

• I find it funny that Escape and Curse are bashed a lot because they have a un piracy setting when every game is pretty much the same. Secret had a circus, a church, shops, and an advertisement for a treasure and so forth. LeChuck's Revenge had even more and is the reason why the whole carnival aspect of the series started, though I do love that plot point. Curse may even be a step above them because they included actual island attacks and ship battles.

The point being is that the rating of Monkey Island games from fans seems to be based too much off a piracy setting, when the series never really had that much of one to begin with. They were known for ingenious puzzles, great stories, and witty and hilarious dialogue and interactions. That's probably why Mike made the islands so tourist esq. in Escape because he saw the other games had hotels, amusement parks, a circus, elevators, contests, shops, and much more. Tales I believe has the most atmosphere when dealing with this aspect of the series. I just don't understand why some people downgrade many of the games based off something that was never all that prevalent in the series to begin with.

• @metroidreborn said: I find it funny that Escape and Curse are bashed a lot because they have a un piracy setting when every game is pretty much the same. Secret had a circus, a church, shops, and an advertisement for a treasure and so forth. LeChuck's Revenge had even more and is the reason why the whole carnival aspect of the series started, though I do love that plot point. Curse may even be a step above them because they included actual island attacks and ship battles.

The point being is that the rating of Monkey Island games from fans seems to be based too much off a piracy setting, when the series never really had that much of one to begin with. They were known for ingenious puzzles, great stories, and witty and hilarious dialogue and interactions. That's probably why Mike made the islands so tourist esq. in Escape because he saw the other games had hotels, amusement parks, a circus, elevators, contests, shops, and much more. Tales I believe has the most atmosphere when dealing with this aspect of the series. I just don't understand why some people downgrade many of the games based off something that was never all that prevalent in the series to begin with.

I don't see how someone can see it this way, though. Secret's most famous puzzle, insult sword fighting, came from the fact that banter between fighters was common in Hollywood pirate films of the Errol Flynn archetype. The whole first act involved prooving you were a pirate through swordplay, theivery, and treasure-hunt-er-y. It's a romanticized, watered-down pirate world, but no less so than classic pirate films ever made it.

The games also had anachronisms, it also had things that had little to do with pirates. But these things weren't run by pirates. You didn't have Arghargh the pirate clown going to pirate birthday parties while pirate stay-at-home moms marveled at their table centerpieces made by pirate glassblowers who may have enjoyed a day at the local pirate theater or pirate cabana club after getting their hair cut at a pirate barbershop. Stan didn't come up to you and say "Hi! I'm Stan, the pirate used boat salesman!", Elaine didn't have a big "PIRATE GOVERNOR" sign on her door. The things that didn't have a pirate atmosphere weren't being run by people who were ostensibly pirates. Curse and Escape kind of introduced that theme, where every person of every profession is a pirate.

Add Comment