User Avatar Image

Is it just me or is this game so awesome that it even makes the 4th one look better

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 300 users

I enjoyed TOMI, it was very good. I've been looking towards it about as long as I have KOTCS. :p

It was a good game, though having played it, it makes the 4th game seem even better some how. Maybe it's just me, I'm wondering if you feel the same, do you?

Feel the same do you, yesss?

When I'm playing the 4th, or rather thinking about it in my mind, the CGI and game play controls seem to be more acceptable on account of TOMI. When I think about EMI I think about the game that came before TOMI. Story elements aside, the game seems to level out nicely one place behind TOMI on the MI time line.

The 3d graphics are perfected from EMI and so are the controls in TOMI.

EMI strangely seems to get better with age next to TOMI.

Any one else feel the same way?

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Farlander said: In my opinion, MI series are like Star Wars, in a lot of ways.

The first two games are the original Star Wars trilogy. Old classics, it is usually considered a crime not to like them, plus they get a SE-touch up which not all tend to like.

The second two games are like the prequel Star Wars trilogy. Things have changed both stylistically and atmospherically, and are met with quite a criticism. Even if objectivelly speaking it's quite on par with the originals, it is considered a crime to like them (all or some of them).

ToMI is like the new Clone Wars TV series. Something that takes both from the old and new, and is generally liked by the fans of the original classics.

ToMI is like the new Clone Wars show in the way that it just kind of killed it for me. (Hate the Clone Wars show, dont really care for ToMI.)

• @Farlander said: In my opinion, MI series are like Star Wars, in a lot of ways.

The first two games are the original Star Wars trilogy. Old classics, it is usually considered a crime not to like them, plus they get a SE-touch up which not all tend to like.

The second two games are like the prequel Star Wars trilogy. Things have changed both stylistically and atmospherically, and are met with quite a criticism. Even if objectivelly speaking it's quite on par with the originals, it is considered a crime to like them (all or some of them).

ToMI is like the new Clone Wars TV series. Something that takes both from the old and new, and is generally liked by the fans of the original classics.

No offense (really), but this is one of the worst analogies I can think of for this series =)

There's just no relationship between them for me, let alone that they all have very very different feels, stylistically.

EMI is nowhere near bad enough to be compared to the prequels. And I dislike EMI.

ToMI is dramatically better than Clone Wars (which for me is on the "meh" scale, like a typical Star Wars novel).

• You took the analogies too literally. I never tried to compare MI and SW as a series, but I did give analogy to the general evolution of the series and critical/fan reaction/imput.

• @Hassat Hunter said: ...it's rare I don't finish a game I started playing.

Well, unless it's a game without a clear goal anyway (like the Sims) :).

Oh the Sims!
    My sister bought this, I succumbed to the hype eons ago.
    But after you built your dream (creatively limited) house, built your (limited) career, and birthed a few kids with the mailwoman there wasn't much else to do!
    Well...
    Beyond inviting your family/friends/neighbours around, trapping them in doorless rooms and killing them in various manners. And using there urns to establish the neighbourhood cemetery...

At least that's all I found the game good for :/ while waiting an eternity for the next, if any Monkey Island sequel to Escape.

On topic: I thought EMI was great!
    I didn't have a problem with the HT Marley/Herman Toothrot segue.
    My only qualms were with the stupid Monkey Kombat, which I still haven't beaten. I've tried meticulously writing all the commands down and there corresponding responses but still got nowhere. Then I downloaded a nice neat table (made by LA I think) which attempted to show how to move through Monkey Kombat, but this still failed me.

As for the Monkey Head debacle I am shocked, but having never got past the Monkey Kombat I was kind of indifferent to what happened afterwards.
    Nonetheless I still liked the game, even if it was over zealous to follow other games into the dark realm of 3D. It was ambitious and stupid, but made up for that with a fairly good story and beautiful locations. And it was particularly funny.

I'm just happy TOMI has done justice to Monkey Island as a series. And didn't stuff up Murray! Apparently the Escape staff couldn't walk down the hall to the Grim guys and get some pointers on 3-dimensional skulls.

• What ruined EMI for me is what they did with Herman Toothrot. I was looking forward to see they "officially" withdrew that stupid idea in TOMI.

• What is wrong with what they did for Herman. It was pretty cool

• It does mess up what was said about both Herman Toothrot and Grandpa Marley in the previous games though.

• I think a big reason why they choose to have Herman as the garndfather is because they were under the impression that the one LeChuck murdered was Elaine's father. I'm just assuming this because in the guide book (don't laugh, I enjoy reading them) it says that Elaine's father was the one seraching for Big Whoop. Too bad that wasn't the case otherwise the whole Herman plot point wouldn't be so bad.

• This is the way I see it, people like The Herman character, there's not a whole lot to do with him, as he was. I guess they figured that if he was going to be in another game, they had to develop him a little further.

• The thing that Tales does is show that Escape barely matters. It defangs Escape, shows us that it is not going to ruin the franchise going forward. When the people in charge of the franchise decide to ignore it, it stops being a problem that will plague the series going forward.

Add Comment