User Avatar Image

Did Curse destroy Monkey Island?

posted by Ash735 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Clearly there are a few people here that view Curse as the actual down point of the series, really laying into it, saying that the series would be better off dead than to have the Curse/Escape/Tales stories. Now, strong views, could be because of how they perceive the story or it could be something to do with the lack of Ron Gilbert being the main series runner once MI2 ended, but here's a coin flip thread, for anything that was done/explained in Curse, I'm going to take a look at why it was BAD and why it was GOOD. So let's get started:

THE BIG ONE: It was all a Dream/Curse??
BAD: In Monkey Island 1 and 2 we have many modern day references, as Monkey Island 2 progresses further into weirdness at the end we learn that LeChuck and Guybrush are brothers and are really kids at some amusement park, we're lead to believe that the series was actually in the head of a child with an over active imagination, as the credits roll we see Chuckie's eyes glow and somewhat resemble LeChuck facial features, but hey, this is just a cheeky nod to the gamer right? If we believe this route, then there would never be a Monkey Island 3, the idea is out, why would gamers want to play a game storyline they know is just the imagination of some kid, any threatening things in such story wouldn't matter anymore (which is odd seeing as Guybrush can Die in both Monkey Island 1 and 2). There were loads of book titles in the library that mention why Trilogies suck, etc so even though the idea was mentioned afterwards, Monkey Island 2 WAS meant to be the final story, the shock ending was meant to show the gamer that this amazing world they've been in for so long was actually just the dreams of a little boy.

GOOD: But wait, Chuckie's face turns into LeChuck as Guybrush and his parents walk away from him, and let's talk about Big Whoop, in the story, we already know that Four Crewmen and even LeChuck himself have seen Big Whoop and how terrible it is, yet here, in this odd tunnel, the crate is smashed, there is nothing in this crate except for a single E-Ticket, somethings not right here. Then we start seeing things from Melee Island and even the street from Melee Island itself, this is all getting weirder by the minute. Then comes the moment when Guybrush finally rips apart LeChuck, but wait, he's our Brother, our Kid Brother? And this Janitor appears telling us to get out? Then we get our weird ending, with the sinister glance from LeChuck to the player letting us know something is not right. And of course during the end credits we flash back to the Monkey Island universe where Elaine is waiting for Guybrush and comments that she hopes LeChucks hasn't put some kind of Curse on him and this is what Curse and essentially the rest of the series has built upon, has the rest of a series continued on from a throw away joke at the end of MI2, or was Guybrush really cursed and everything from waking up in the tunnels fake?

-- Coming Soon, LeChuck is a Cartoon Villain? The Four Map Pieces Explanation? An Amusement Park?? Continuity Problems? --

195 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It didn't ruin it for me!
    I played the somi and lcr in quick succession on the amiga.
    Curse didn't come out on the amiga and it was quite a few years later that I played efmi on my sons pc.
    After the initial shock of how guybrush et al looked I soon got over it and enjoyed the game for itself.
    Quite a few years later having finally joined the pc world I bought a copy of the comi and eventually got it to work.
    I loved it!
    And then came tomi and I love that too.
    I think I'm just a monkey island freak to be honest.:D

• @sharper said: I skimmed through most of the posts here and a lot of what I was going to reply with has been said. You could say Curse 'changed' the monkey island series, though I would personally call it 'refined' as changed still has a slight negative connotation to it.

Some would say "refined" is too positive.

• @Jade Zealot said: I don't remember the island ever being destroyed by a curse.

Give it time. I'm sure something to that effect is about to happen in Lost, and unemployed evil tropical smoke monsters might be migratory.

• @S@bre said: Give it time. I'm sure something to that effect is about to happen in Lost, and unemployed evil tropical smoke monsters might be migratory.

That's so sad..!! In that case, I say we start an anti-Curse group to make sure those poor smoke monsters still have a home.

• Curse didn't destroy Monkey Island, CMI destroyed that specific Monkey Island atmosphere built in the first two games.

I don't know why Curse Fan Boys/Girls have constant need to call someone MI2 (or Ron Gilbert) fanboy(girl) in a rather abusive way :confused:
    As if there is a "cold war" or something between "Revengists" and "Cursists" :)

• @MusicallyInspired said: Some would say "refined" is too positive.

You won't even agree that the interface for CMI was refined in that you didn't have to go to the bottom of the screen to select "look at" or "use" then click on the object? I found it much smoother and more intuitive to click on the object and have your basic actions available to you instantly. I guess I am among the few whom appreciate that though.

• @VoodooDerina said: Curse didn't destroy Monkey Island, CMI destroyed that specific Monkey Island atmosphere built in the first two games.

I don't think it destroyed the atmosphere, I think a lot of people let a difference in art style ruin the atmosphere for them, but for me, I thought the atmosphere was perfect.

Then again, I also think Wind Waker is the best Zelda game made in the past decade, so what do I know.

• @sharper said: You won't even agree that the interface for CMI was refined in that you didn't have to go to the bottom of the screen to select "look at" or "use" then click on the object? I found it much smoother and more intuitive to click on the object and have your basic actions available to you instantly. I guess I am among the few whom appreciate that though.

Of course. I'm not talking about me. I said "some". But either way saying CMI refined Monkey Island is a pretty broad statement and doesn't just speak specifically of the interface. Besides, you didn't have to go down to "look" and then back to the object. You could just right click and get the default action (which was usually look). :p

• Just an observation. I happen to like pixel art A LOT for some reason. So I don't know if that is what is affecting my opinions. But maybe the reason some like SMI and LR better is because they were able to create what they wanted out of it.

I always thought it left it to the player to fill in the blanks. Because every little feature wasn't defined (like in the latter styles) so you could imagine what you wanted, to a certain extent. Or in another direction, you would be less bothered by something you think is out of place? Could this atmosphere everyone (myself included) talks about, be a product of this?

This is all based off of a purely visible reaction.

Also, add to that the voices that weren't there. Nomatter how good they are, they aren't based off of our own imaginations and decisions. Kind of the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. In a book, nomatter what the author intended, part of the interpretation is left to the reader.

I really love CMI. I know my posts make it seem like I don't sometimes, which isn't true.

• @MonkeyMania said: CMI is my baby. Always preferred style of Monkey Island.

I agree with this. Also, CMI and LCR are both my favorites. I can understand people who can say thet Curse was a little... disconnected of the saga due to the end of LCR, but dude... the main 'problem' is just that, the rare LCR ending done by Mr. Gilbert. I mean, I never knew what the hell is going on, too much 'open' ending, too abstract and, too many options of interpretations... no coherence (or not explicit coherence).

The main problem of CMI and his relation with previous games was the 'yet not explained LCR ending' connected to the fact that Ron wasn't on the CMI team to explain it to connect it with the new adventure and argument.

Also, I must said that the solution the CMI team provided it's pretty succesfull on the goal of connect both arguments, having in mind the big trouble that should be to have an ending like the LCR was as first stone to build another chapter of the saga.

I don't know if I'. explaining myself correctly.

Add Comment