User Avatar Image

The Devil's Playhouse and Hit The Road

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 600 users

Okay, don't hate me for this, but in my opinion, The Devil's Playhouse is better than Hit The Road. I know that most people say that you can't beat a classic, but after 2 episodes of pretty much the best Sam and Max related thing ever made, is it so wrong to say it's better than HTR?

I mean, the story of TDP is definitely more epic and deeper than the previous stuff, which are mostly randomness and absurdity, and the puzzles are way more creative, though not as difficult so it doesn't create too much frustration.

And yes, the graphics of the Devil's Playhouse are better than Hit The Road, but not just because it's 3D, it's also because of the cinematic camera angles and art design as well.

What's your opinion?

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @tredlow said: , is it so wrong to say it's better than HTR?

No it is not wrong to say that.

• I think that classics CAN be beaten, and I also agree that TDP is better.

• @The Highway said: I think that classics CAN be beaten, and I also agree that TDP is better.

Would you also agree with me that Tales of MI has a better story than MI 1 and 2? Just the story.

• I think, all Sam & Max episodes from Telltale are better than Hit the Road so far. No Monkey Island is better than the first 2 games, though.
    Which doesn't mean that I didn't like all Sam & Max and Monkey Island games so far.

• @LogicDeLuxe said: No Monkey Island is better than the first 2 games, though.

Well, I don't mean the overall game, such as puzzles etc., just the story. The stories of MI 1 and 2 are great, but they're pretty simple and the characters don't have much development, whereas TMI had deeper levels in its story. But that's just my opinion.

• I have to agree, Telltale's Sam & Max have really taken the series where it should have been, 20 or so years ago. HtR is good, in it's own time, not this one.

@LogicDeLuxe said: No Monkey Island is better than the first 2 games, though.

I don't know, I thought Rise of the Pirate God kicked the hell out of MI 1 and 2.
    (Yes, I finally got to play the 2 originals.)

• I still enjoy the classic more... But I think maybe its just because episodic gaming can be kind of jarring at times.. a month long break and all.

• Yeah, I think I'd say that the Devil's Playhouse is, so far, better than Hit the Road. And I do also think that Tales may possibly be the equal best Monkey Island game that I've played. I personally think that Curse and Tales are the two top MI games, I love them both more than any film, book or song (well, most songs anyway; there are some songs that mean a lot to me) on the face of the Earth. I just think that there is so much more character and emotion shown from each of the characters in those games as opposed to the first two. The first two games were excellent, don't get me wrong, but Curse and Tales are just so much more when it comes to the different array of moods and themes.

I basically feel the same way about The Devil's Playhouse and Hit the Road. Hit the Road just had one mood and theme the whole way through - humour and a little bit of silliness for good measure. But in The Devil's Playhouse, there's actually a little bit of suspense and drama in some moments. Take the final scene of The Tomb of Sammun-Mak for instance. When you see Max's body lying limp with the top of his head severed, the whole jocularity and frivolous nature of the game comes to a screaming halt. You see the genuine worry of Sam's face, the camera moves slowly around Max's lifeless face and still body and the music is... well, I can't really remember what was happening with the music, but I knew that it created a good effect.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that The Devil's Playhouse is just a huge step forward in the evolution of Sam & Max. The same goes for the later Monkey Island games (yes, even Escape), they had a lot more depth to them than the original two. The original Sam & Max and the original MI games were mostly focused on the comedy element. This is very much still alive in the later games (of both S&M and MI), but they aren't completely centered around it. This is a good thing.

• I'd say Season Two is better than Hit the Road. Devil's Playhouse...I'm not as sure.

• @Rather Dashing said: I'd say Season Two is better than Hit the Road. Devil's Playhouse...I'm not as sure.

Well, I'd say Devil's Playhouse beats Season Two already...

Add Comment