User Avatar Image

Did Curse destroy Monkey Island?

posted by Ash735 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

Clearly there are a few people here that view Curse as the actual down point of the series, really laying into it, saying that the series would be better off dead than to have the Curse/Escape/Tales stories. Now, strong views, could be because of how they perceive the story or it could be something to do with the lack of Ron Gilbert being the main series runner once MI2 ended, but here's a coin flip thread, for anything that was done/explained in Curse, I'm going to take a look at why it was BAD and why it was GOOD. So let's get started:

THE BIG ONE: It was all a Dream/Curse??
BAD: In Monkey Island 1 and 2 we have many modern day references, as Monkey Island 2 progresses further into weirdness at the end we learn that LeChuck and Guybrush are brothers and are really kids at some amusement park, we're lead to believe that the series was actually in the head of a child with an over active imagination, as the credits roll we see Chuckie's eyes glow and somewhat resemble LeChuck facial features, but hey, this is just a cheeky nod to the gamer right? If we believe this route, then there would never be a Monkey Island 3, the idea is out, why would gamers want to play a game storyline they know is just the imagination of some kid, any threatening things in such story wouldn't matter anymore (which is odd seeing as Guybrush can Die in both Monkey Island 1 and 2). There were loads of book titles in the library that mention why Trilogies suck, etc so even though the idea was mentioned afterwards, Monkey Island 2 WAS meant to be the final story, the shock ending was meant to show the gamer that this amazing world they've been in for so long was actually just the dreams of a little boy.

GOOD: But wait, Chuckie's face turns into LeChuck as Guybrush and his parents walk away from him, and let's talk about Big Whoop, in the story, we already know that Four Crewmen and even LeChuck himself have seen Big Whoop and how terrible it is, yet here, in this odd tunnel, the crate is smashed, there is nothing in this crate except for a single E-Ticket, somethings not right here. Then we start seeing things from Melee Island and even the street from Melee Island itself, this is all getting weirder by the minute. Then comes the moment when Guybrush finally rips apart LeChuck, but wait, he's our Brother, our Kid Brother? And this Janitor appears telling us to get out? Then we get our weird ending, with the sinister glance from LeChuck to the player letting us know something is not right. And of course during the end credits we flash back to the Monkey Island universe where Elaine is waiting for Guybrush and comments that she hopes LeChucks hasn't put some kind of Curse on him and this is what Curse and essentially the rest of the series has built upon, has the rest of a series continued on from a throw away joke at the end of MI2, or was Guybrush really cursed and everything from waking up in the tunnels fake?


-- Coming Soon, LeChuck is a Cartoon Villain? The Four Map Pieces Explanation? An Amusement Park?? Continuity Problems? --

195 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I recently put Curse on my PSP (not to be confused with putting A curse on my PSP)... tried it out for a bit and I hadn't noticed before how much of a cartoon villain LeChuck had become. It sort of reminded me of Robotnik in The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

  • @Ghost82 said: I agree with this. Also, CMI and LCR are both my favorites. I can understand people who can say thet Curse was a little... disconnected of the saga due to the end of LCR, but dude... the main 'problem' is just that, the rare LCR ending done by Mr. Gilbert. I mean, I never knew what the hell is going on, too much 'open' ending, too abstract and, too many options of interpretations... no coherence (or not explicit coherence).

    The main problem of CMI and his relation with previous games was the 'yet not explained LCR ending' connected to the fact that Ron wasn't on the CMI team to explain it to connect it with the new adventure and argument.

    Also, I must said that the solution the CMI team provided it's pretty succesfull on the goal of connect both arguments, having in mind the big trouble that should be to have an ending like the LCR was as first stone to build another chapter of the saga.

    I don't know if I'. explaining myself correctly.

    Makes sense to me.

    I was happy that CMI explained what happened at the end of LCR. Very happy. LCR's ending was terrible and I'm glad they addressed it.

  • Idea for Monkey Island 2.5

    Goals:
    1. Realize that a spell has been cast on you by LeChuck.
    2. Break the spell
    3. Shave your beard because you look too old to go on any of the rides.
    4. Ride the bumper cars
    5. Get pounded hard enough to bust through the wall, by taunting other riders
    6. Escape the carnival

  • @MonkeyMania said: Idea for Monkey Island 2.5

    Goals:
    1. Realize that a spell has been cast on you by LeChuck.
    2. Break the spell
    3. Shave your beard because you look too old to go on any of the rides.
    4. Ride the bumper cars
    5. Get pounded hard enough to bust through the wall, by taunting other riders
    6. Escape the carnival

    Ok, now you make it :p

  • I basically see the Curse phenomenon as the gaming equivalent of commissioning Mulholland Drive's set designers to make a sequel to that movie that explains away all the ambiguities of the previous film and opens up a string of audience-friendly sequels, and then having the world treat it as the better film for not having a weird ending. The latter three Monkey Islands can be fun but as an artistic achievement the series would've been far better off left with just the two.

  • @Barnabus said: I basically see the Curse phenomenon as the gaming equivalent of commissioning Mulholland Drive's set designers to make a sequel to that movie that explains away all the ambiguities of the previous film and opens up a string of audience-friendly sequels, and then having the world treat it as the better film for not having a weird ending. The latter three Monkey Islands can be fun but as an artistic achievement the series would've been far better off left with just the two.

    Comparing Mulholland Drive to Monkey Island 2 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I don't remember Mulholland Drive being a comedy.

  • @Barnabus said: I basically see the Curse phenomenon as the gaming equivalent of commissioning Mulholland Drive's set designers to make a sequel to that movie that explains away all the ambiguities of the previous film and opens up a string of audience-friendly sequels, and then having the world treat it as the better film for not having a weird ending. The latter three Monkey Islands can be fun but as an artistic achievement the series would've been far better off left with just the two.

    Latter sequels seem to target much wider audience progressively, so they made more and more compromises.

  • @Pale Man said: Comparing Mulholland Drive to Monkey Island 2 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I don't remember Mulholland Drive being a comedy.

    I'm comparing the situations, not so much the things themselves. I picked that film because it involves deliberate ambiguity. The only reason I didn't pick a comedy movie is because offhand I can't think of one that has an equivalent ending to MI2, which is a point in the game's favour I think.

  • @Barnabus said: I'm comparing the situations, not so much the things themselves. I picked that film because it involves deliberate ambiguity. The only reason I didn't pick a comedy movie is because offhand I can't think of one that has an equivalent ending to MI2, which is a point in the game's favour I think.

    The game's ending is a joke, making fun of how ridiculous cliffhanger/twist endings are. It's not this ultra deep thing that has some meaning, it's a joke, and it was never meant to be more than that.

  • @Pale Man said: The game's ending is a joke, making fun of how ridiculous cliffhanger/twist endings are. It's not this ultra deep thing that has some meaning, it's a joke, and it was never meant to be more than that.


    joke or not, it's still stupid.

Add Comment