User Avatar Image

ep 2 for ps3 Exclusive

posted by kane on - last edited - Viewed by 139 users

dues ep 2 for ps3 Exclusive is there

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's funny because your post sounds a bit like a type of spam, where a keyword is recognised and some kind or article relating to it is pasted.

Regardless, I agree with you. Where are my totally voice-activated things? Why can't I dictate a whole novel yet? Mmh?

• i wonder if you could say "clap, clap" and the lights would turn on...?

• The only thing being voice recognition has actually been pretty awesome for years.

On anything since windows xp you can easily dictate and have it type with almost no errors because when you set it up you spend about 5 mins training it to your voice and then if it makes errors that you have to correct it further trains itself.

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

@Emo Hoe said: The only thing being voice recognition has actually been pretty awesome for years.

I humbly disagree.

@Emo Hoe said: On anything since windows xp you can easily dictate and have it type with almost no errors because when you set it up you spend about 5 mins training it to your voice and then if it makes errors that you have to correct it further trains itself.

You're thinking of dictation software, which is trained to understand a specific speaker. I think speech recognition generally refers to a system that can be used by an arbitrary user, but I guess the term can also be used for both types.

Dictation software can work OK, but only because you can train it, as you mentioned. Training takes time though--especially as names of places, companies and people often don't exist in the dictionary. That's okay if you're just playing around, but it can get time consuming and irritating if you actually want to get some work done. And again, it will only work for one person!

In general, dictation and voice recognition software takes a lot of processing power and memory. The software is also quite challenging to develop, so I presume commercial solutions are expensive. A lot of current solutions are failures to varying degrees, e.g. automatic call center robots that don't understand your voice commands (perhaps due to how a phone line distorts sound), YouTube's automatically generated captions (mostly useless from what I've seen), supposedly automatic voice message to text translation that needs to fall back on human transcription etc.

The point is that while humans come with a very accurate built-in speech recognition system, computer software can only work OK in ideal circumstances... no accents, no weird dialects, no stuttering, lisping or other speech impediments, no background noise and so on. And even in ideal conditions there are errors. NIST has a nice metastudy thing, which shows error rates of current and past systems. It shows over 10% error rates even in the most recent systems. Numbers I've seen quoted elsewhere are in the range of 10-25%.

• Uh, getting back on the topic.

I just finished the 2nd Episode of the PS3 version of the game last night...

And no, I didn't unlock anything this time. So, no.

I think the NutriSpecs unlock was just a one time deal. There probably won't be anymore.

• thanks um now what im still new

• There's no extra power in 302. I think that was just a Penal Zone thing.

• Ok, basically what Jake said is that the NutriSpecs being only on PS3 (for now) was a one episode in a series type thing, so for the rest of the season we can expect simultaneous psychic toys on both PC and PS3.

• @The Highway said: Ok, basically what Jake said is that the NutriSpecs being only on PS3 (for now) was a one episode in a series type thing, so for the rest of the season we can expect simultaneous psychic toys on both PC and PS3.

Actually, I think he meant The Penal Zone power was only for The Penal Zone; no other Episode. Which is sad because extra powers are fun, especially when it has nothing to do with the full plot.

But I hope I'm wrong, and you're right.

Add Comment