User Avatar Image

A flaw in 302 [spoilers]

posted by doodinthemood on - last edited - Viewed by 394 users

I got the three blocks in the burial chamber and placed them in the spell cue card thing and stopped the protection spell.
Quite a bit later I asked (I think) the molewoman what three hands meant and she told me it reversed the spell before, but somehow sam had known to put in three hands.

I felt like I'd taken an accidental shortcut somehow. Am guessing there were a few of these, given the difficulty in working in all possible pathways through the 3 reels. Was a bit disappointed with that though.

Anyone else come across any?

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Well, apart from Maximus not knowing about his children... ;)

Really, it's not that much of a flaw. Sam gets three blocks and just assumes that he can jinx the mechanism by adding them. The episode's riddles were dialogue-based more than enough.

• The chance of him getting the right combo would have been 1 in 216. He should have put them in any old way and got a duff spell. While there was the standard handful of times I saw a graphical error and thought 'feh', this was the first time in a telltale game when I thought "that's a writing error", and I found it a bit of a shame, in an episode with such great writing.

• I don't think I asked the molewoman about it, but I saw on the vampire-protect spell thingy in the molepeoples carriage on the train it had the three hands on it.

• I just assumed adding 3 more blocks in the thing, no matter what was on the outside, would mess up the spell. I didn't talk to the molewoman about it. I did see the vampire-protect spell thingy in the molepeoples carriage on the train, and I guess if it had given me a choice on what to display I would have put the hands out front, but it didn't.

• User Avatar Image
    aHartzell Telltale Staff

doodinthemood:

Good catch. In the original design for this game there WAS a puzzle that required you to learn the "undo code" and arrange the blocks accordingly. It was trimmed out after the first playtest.

• I get what you're talking about with the multiple pathways causing a few problems. I went to the train reel first, and had a couple of minutes of gameplay before going to the first reel, and seeing the opening credits.

• I'm not sure it's an error. I mean, you still talked to the molewoman in reel one, so technically before you added the hands, so Sam knew what it did.
    There were plenty of times Sam talked about things that "had happened" that I hadn't done yet after all.

As for me, I saw the anti-vampire thing and figured adding the hands would cancel the spell. Didn't realise you could ask the molewoman about it, and now that you tell me it sounds more like a hint than something necessary. It's not like you need to know that in order to put the three blocks you have in the three holes there are.

• @aHartzell said: doodinthemood:

Good catch. In the original design for this game there WAS a puzzle that required you to learn the "undo code" and arrange the blocks accordingly. It was trimmed out after the first playtest.

Wouldn't it have been enough to have Sam put the blocks in wrong and say something like "I should probably learn more about moleman magic before trying this" if he hasn't seen the three hand spell in the train yet? Why leave it out entirely?

Add Comment