User Avatar Image

The Devil's Playhouse and Hit The Road

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 599 users

Okay, don't hate me for this, but in my opinion, The Devil's Playhouse is better than Hit The Road. I know that most people say that you can't beat a classic, but after 2 episodes of pretty much the best Sam and Max related thing ever made, is it so wrong to say it's better than HTR?

I mean, the story of TDP is definitely more epic and deeper than the previous stuff, which are mostly randomness and absurdity, and the puzzles are way more creative, though not as difficult so it doesn't create too much frustration.

And yes, the graphics of the Devil's Playhouse are better than Hit The Road, but not just because it's 3D, it's also because of the cinematic camera angles and art design as well.

What's your opinion?

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: I'd say Season Two is better than Hit the Road. Devil's Playhouse...I'm not as sure.

Any particular reason? The writing? The characters? The story? The theme? The voice acting? The settings? The puzzles? The music? The lighting? The lack of familiar faces? All of the above?

• @Falanca said: Well, I'd say Devil's Playhouse beats Season Two already...

Even if it weren't for the third season's puzzles, I'd have to say that's a tough sell, especially at only two episodes. I'm not so offended by The Devil's Playhouse to say that it can't as a whole be greater than Season Three, even still, but these two episodes just don't paint a grandiose picture of these games as, um, games.

Music is as good as ever. The writing is great, doesn't feel quite as snappy but it's still great and I like it. The lighting and graphics, presentation all around is excellent and better than the first two seasons by a longshot.

Not having secondary characters show up for the hell of it was probably a good call, because the secondary cast was getting somewhat bloated.

• @Rather Dashing said: Even if it weren't for the third season's puzzles, I'd have to say that's a tough sell, especially at only two episodes. I'm not so offended by The Devil's Playhouse to say that it can't as a whole be greater than Season Three, even still, but these two episodes just don't paint a grandiose picture of these games as, um, games.

Um... I thought The Devil's Playhouse is season three. Also, are you saying that season two is better than Devil's Playhouse because we have yet to see the rest of the episodes?

• @tredlow said: Um... I thought The Devil's Playhouse is season three. Also, are you saying that season two is better than Devil's Playhouse because we have yet to see the rest of the episodes?

I think the first was just an error. I think the second he just meant that so far Season 3 hasn't quite lived up to the greatness of Season 2. But I guess I'll just let Rather Dashing answer for himself :).

• @Hayden said: I think the first was just an error. I think the second he just meant that so far Season 3 hasn't quite lived up to the greatness of Season 2. But I guess I'll just let Rather Dashing answer for himself :).

Yeah, the first thing was a typo. And the second thing was, yeah, I don't think that the Devil's Playhouse has yet surpassed a full season of amazing content like Season Two. It could still, we're just two-fifths in, but I'm just not as assured of Season Three's complete and utter domination of everything that has come before.

I'm saying it's too early for me to judge, and I'm not seeing the trajectory heading toward "Better than Season Two". But it can change, or I could be wrong about where it's heading.

• In terms of personal enjoyment, The Devil's Playhouse already beats HtR hands down for me. But then I enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 more than HtR for various reasons. A more objective evaluation of their quality would leave me with something like Beyond Time and Space > HtR > Save the World.

But Season 3 being better than Season 2? Or any of the other Sam & Max games (except maybe Save the World)? Too early to tell. I love where it's been heading so far, but there's too much that can happen between now and the last episode. I'm waiting until at least Episode 3 before -- if it applies -- I say something like, "Boy, this is shaping up to be better than Season 2!" Calling it one way or another, though? Not until the bitter, twisty end.

• @tredlow said: Would you also agree with me that Tales of MI has a better story than MI 1 and 2? Just the story.

Naw, can't be. Cause in ToMI Guybrush goes through the same transformations as LeChuck did in MI1 and 2.

On topic:
    I considered HTR never to be a really great LA-classic. A very good and funny adventure, but MI1&2, Dott, Indy3&4 and Maniac Mansion are my all time favorites. :cool:

I love what TellTale has done to S&M. Now that i played 301 & 302 i think S&M is one of the best adventure franchises ever. :)

How about giving Conroy Bumpus and Lee Harvey a cameo?

• @Shemp said:
    On topic:
    I considered HTR never to be a really great LA-classic. A very good and funny adventure, but MI1&2, Dott, Indy3&4 and Maniac Mansion are my all time favorites. :cool:

I love what TellTale has done to S&M. Now that i played 301 & 302 i think S&M is one of the best adventure franchises ever. :)

How about giving Conroy Bumpus and Lee Harvey a cameo?

Well, when I said 'classic', I meant in the Sam and Max series, not all of LucasArts. Also, Conroy Bumpus and Lee Harvey are owned by LucasArts, so I don't think they can. Otherwise, I'd prefer Bruno the bigfoot to make an appearance.

• I didn't really like ToMI's story that much, actually. It felt like it was going somewhere interesting (Guybrush lost a hand, human LeChuck seemed nice and it looked like there would be another villain instead) but in the end it kind of just went back in statu quo and that disappointed me.

I didn't like the first three episodes as episodes, and as far as the story goes I feel the end of episode four and the whole of episode 5 just ruined everything that could have been good about ToMI's story.

So in the end, we're left with "prevent a pox from infesting the Caribbeans" and "stuff that could have been interesting but quickly revert to normal at the end", neither of which seem specifically better than Revenge to me.
    I guess it beats Secret, though.

• Honestly...I wasn't crazy about Hit the Road in the first place. It had moments I enjoyed, several things that made me laugh, but in the end, when I reflect back on the feeling I have on the overall experience, it's less of a positive feeling and more of a weird one. I'd be perfectly willing to give the game another shot, but after one play through... It doesn't even come close to beating any of the Telltale games in my book.

Of course, it was my very first experience with Sam and Max, other than seeing a bit of the animated series when it originally aired (which I have no memory of at all), so maybe I'll enjoy it more now than I did then. And by then, I mean a few months ago.

Add Comment