User Avatar Image

Sam & Max graphics

posted by StewG on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

OK, lets face it. The graphics isn't too pretty. But that isn't the main point.

The main point is that the games are so demanding. When i set the graphics on full (on season 3), there is a slight lag, and i can play games like Crysis on medium settings without lag.

Isn't there any update or tricks to making them less demanding? It would be nice to play on my laptop too. And my MacBook.

93 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Tor

    @Hassat Hunter said: Actually, now we're back on that, I can actually recall one game where the rec. requirements where full detail at 30FPS.
    Majesty 2.

    @Hassat Hunter said: I've always assumed "recommended" meant "to play it on the best settings". Seems kind of weird to me otherwise. I mean, makes sense having the lowest and the highest ones, but the lowest + some random point in the middle? Not really.


    I agree that "best settings" would be most logical, and I'd like to see it work that way. I don't think that's the current state of affairs though.

    But that poses a new problem: What screen resolution are you running the game at? Resolution makes a huge impact on performance, so if the publisher asserts that a certain hardware configuration can run the game at the highest settings; they'd also have to specify which resolution that's possible at. There is no "maximum" screen resolution.

    You'd also have to have some kind of quantifiable measure of performance. Hassat mentioned FPS; but your experience at a certain number of frames per second will depend on the type of game: E.g. a game with largely static screens like a P&C adventure game will work great at low-ish FPS, but a first person shooter (where you wave the "camera" all over the place) needs much higher FPS to give the illusion of fluent motion. This also varies a bit from person to person, and other factors such as motion blur can change things.

  • @Tor said: But that poses a new problem: What screen resolution are you running the game at? Resolution makes a huge impact on performance, so if the publisher asserts that a certain hardware configuration can run the game at the highest settings; they'd also have to specify which resolution that's possible at. There is no "maximum" screen resolution.

    But wouldn't there be a maximum option to choose from in the games settings?

  • User Avatar Image
    Tor

    @Avistew said: But wouldn't there be a maximum option to choose from in the games settings?


    Depends on the game; some games certainly have a maximum resolution. That's bad design practice though--at least for 3D games, there are to technical reason why you would have to impose a maximum.

    Most 3D games will detect which resolutions your graphics card and monitor supports, and present those as your options. Many decade old 3D games will work just fine on modern screen resolutions that didn't exist at the time.

    Right now it's possible to play at 7680x4800 (using nine 2560x1600 monitors in a 3x3 configuration) if you've got serious money to burn. That capability would be pretty useless if past games were restricted to only the screen resolutions that were available at the time they were created. (Well, you could argue that it's still a useless feature, but that's beside the point :p)

  • Hey, when I started playing episode 301, it was slow as hell on level 4. But the after the second playthrough, it can go up to level 6 smoothly. Anyone know why?

  • 302 is apparently more optimized than 301, but the darn film filter still slows things down.

  • @Randulf said: 302 is apparently more optimized than 301, but the darn film filter still slows things down.

    I seriously doubt it's the grain filter. It's a very simple post processing effect.

  • @Pantagruel's Friend said: I seriously doubt it's the grain filter. It's a very simple post processing effect.


    I too thought it is a very simple effect that should not take much GPU, but really, whenever the projector is turned on, things start to skip.

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    @Ben said: Besides the graphical improvements, we have some new animation tech that allows for more expressive faces.

    The facial animation has REALLY improved. Skunkape and Momma Bosco are just brilliant with it. Unfortunately, Sam & Max themselves, with their complete lack of iris and eyelids, don't really offer great opportunities to use the new animation technology. Nonetheless, I love it!

  • @Randulf said: I too thought it is a very simple effect that should not take much GPU, but really, whenever the projector is turned on, things start to skip.

    don't see how it's related to the grain filter - it's a full screen post processing effect, and should consume the same resources no matter what's on the screen.

  • @Vainamoinen said: Unfortunately, Sam & Max themselves, with their complete lack of iris and eyelids, don't really offer great opportunities to use the new animation technology. Nonetheless, I love it!

    I think you are understimating their expresivity. (Ok, I have troubles with them and I often have to make appear imaginary eye brows for them, but still, they are as expresive as any character, you just have to use your imagination for them!)

Add Comment