User Avatar Image

A flaw in 302 [spoilers]

posted by doodinthemood on - last edited - Viewed by 410 users

I got the three blocks in the burial chamber and placed them in the spell cue card thing and stopped the protection spell.
Quite a bit later I asked (I think) the molewoman what three hands meant and she told me it reversed the spell before, but somehow sam had known to put in three hands.

I felt like I'd taken an accidental shortcut somehow. Am guessing there were a few of these, given the difficulty in working in all possible pathways through the 3 reels. Was a bit disappointed with that though.

Anyone else come across any?

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Like Avistew already said, Sameth had already asked the molewoman about the spell, even if you hadn't. You watched the whole movie out of order, Sameth and Maximus played it in order, so they already knew it.

• That would be both inconsistent and possibly impossible.
    Inconsistent - the very first puzzle (shown in the beginning of Reel 3, when Sam starts it before the player gets to do anything) was to read the writing above the gate. Sam & Max don't remember it unless you go to reel 1 and find out.
    Possibly impossible - if you finish Reel 1 and never asked her (like I did), how would they have found out?

• You didn't have to put a spell or anything just cancel it. so the way i see it if the spell required say 17 boxes (i don't remember how many they were) and you added any 3 at random, then the spell wouldn't work. rotating the blocks might even cast a different spell which you dont want. its not a flaw.
    say a bats head and a goblins tooth and a rats tail creats a life potion or something like that, adding anything else in the mix and the potion wouldn't work and the chances of creating another potion at random would probably be somewhere in the millions

• @Dangeresque said: and the chances of creating another potion at random would probably be somewhere in the millions

You are clearly new to Sam & Max ;)

But yeah, I agree with your post.

• Yeah, I just assumed it was like a formula.

Add in some gibberish, and the result will surely will not be what the original formula intended...

• @NeatNit said: You are clearly new to Sam & Max ;)

But yeah, I agree with your post.

No im not new to sam and max at all. just saying those are the odds. you could have casted a different spell but that just didn't happen

• @NeatNit said: Inconsistent - the very first puzzle (shown in the beginning of Reel 3, when Sam starts it before the player gets to do anything) was to read the writing above the gate. Sam & Max don't remember it unless you go to reel 1 and find out.

Equipment malfunction?

Possibly impossible - if you finish Reel 1 and never asked her (like I did), how would they have found out?

It is required to learn the Reverse Wumpire Curse spell to complete reel 2, so Sameth could have just assumed the three hands are what reverses the spell.

• I think this has been cleared up by aHartzell (PhD, member of telltale team, official mascott of the 1964 olympics) on the first page. It was going to a puzzle, and Sam would put in any old rubbish and the spell would be cast as rubbish, possibly with humerous consequences, until you asked the molewoman what 3 hands meant, but they decided to cut it. The end result is a sequence that sometimes makes perfect sense (speak to the molewoman first, then try the blocks,) sometimes can be explained away, in a way inconsistent with much of the other logic in the game (try the blocks, then speak to the molewoman) and sometimes is just an error (try the blocks, never bother talking to the molewoman).
    I'm cool with accepting that. It was an awesome game.

Dangeresque, the probability of doing it right would be 1 in 216. 3 blocks. 6 faces. =(1/6)^3

Add Comment