User Avatar Image

Kind of disappointed...

posted by jovak on - last edited - Viewed by 474 users

I´m a big fan of everything that Telltale´s made and especially Sam&Max. But I don´t know what to think about these two episodes. Sure, they look great, the gameplay is harder and more advanced but something´s missing. There´s too little of the psychotic Max ("the total annihilation of the godless Belgians", "is this the end of little Maxie?"), the dialog isn´t as razorsharp as in the two last seasons. I sure hope that this will change in the upcoming episodes.

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sausy Gibbon said: I think that just comes down to the simple platitude, "You cant please everyone all of the time, so you have to please some people most of the time".

Meh. I just say, make something you're proud of and see if people like it or not. Pleasing the masses isn't worth a damn if you have to make something you dislike for that.

• @pwblaine said: i'm too feel this season is easier to beat than the last, but i'm not sure that's a bad thing... every other TTG game except for this season i've had to bust out the walkthrough

you had to use a walkthrough for the WAllace & Grommit Episodes? I think they were noticeably easier than Tomb Of Sammun-Mak.
    I am also quite pleased with the fact that I don't need a walkthrough to complete the episodes in this season but still get the feeling that I accomplished something because some of the puzzles are not too obvious.

• I needed one twice in the final episode.
    Probably because I am not too much a fan of golf...

Aside from that, don't think I needed one.

• I don't understand how making a game that forces you to read a walkthrough is a mark of a good game. A good adventure game should make you think logically about your decisions rather than you having to get out of the game so you can find an illogical or esoteric solution made by the game developers. Unless your someone who doesn't want to stop and think about something so you can just finish the game, thats not why you should be playing, you don't play a game simply for the satisfaction of completing it, you play a game for the journey it takes you to finish it.

• I too aren't feeling it in this season. I do love the bumped up graphics (even though it crashes my laptop and runs at a 6-7 graphics level on my desktop pc, it's still impressive to me!), the controls aren't that bad, and the new (and old) characters are great.

I think not hearing a single new musical/lyrical song (yet) disappoints me. I always looked forward to those...

Episode one was good. It was getting back into the swing of things and introducing the new at the same time. Episode two, however, felt a bit too different in both good and bad. Good: I loved it's way of telling the story (jumping back and forth between reels to get the whole picture). Bad: death scenes (one of the main reasons why I never got into the Space Quest series). Also, it seemed like the story was cut short. For example, I probably wouldn't want to wander a desert to find the temple (I mean, what's there to do in a desert than just wander?), but I don't know... Maybe old black and white serials/films/etc cut to important scenes quickly like that too?

I just find this season... interesting, so far. There's a great chance this will not be my favorite... :/

• @Breakman said: Bad: death scenes (one of the main reasons why I never got into the Space Quest series).

I dunno ... the deaths are funny in both, but Sammun-Mak's deaths weren't reliant upon the player having a recent save in order for the "do over" to be painless. So they felt more like pure jokes to me, without the Sierra-esque baggage. I think I would only be bothered if Telltale had gone past homage into actual "Oh, guess what! You died for real. Hope your last save wasn't made several, precious hours-of-your-life ago ... !" That said, "death-hunting" wasn't exactly at the top of my list of things to do in my first playthrough, so ... *shrug*

@Breakman said: Also, it seemed like the story was cut short. For example, I probably wouldn't want to wander a desert to find the temple (I mean, what's there to do in a desert than just wander?), but I don't know... Maybe old black and white serials/films/etc cut to important scenes quickly like that too?

My limited experience with these types of films tells me "yes." This happens a lot.

On a different note -- great to see you around here again, Breakman! Sammun-Mak turned out to be one of my personal favorites, so I find it difficult to commiserate with your disappointment, I'm afraid. I do hope you'll enjoy the next episodes more, though. There's still more than half the season to go, after all! :D

• I'll admit that this was the first episode that I was sort of disappointed by (and I've played through all the TTG Sam & Max episodes and S&M Hit the Road). And it was basically for the following reasons: it only took me about 4-5 hours to solve, and it didn't drive me to the hints forum in a state of desperation to figure out what the heck the sideways solution was to any puzzle. I like the stumpers that are completely psychotic that make me have to get away from the game for a couple of days so I can see things differently when I get back, and that make you say either "Duh!" or "What?!?!? Are you nuts?!?!?" when you solve them. I didn't get any of that here.

Of course, there was still the squirrelly interface for walking around that drives me bonkers so I guess I had at least one source of frustration and difficulty.

• @pwatol said: it only took me about 4-5 hours to solve

Isn't that more than any Season 1 or 2 episode? :confused:

• Episode 2 was one of my all time favorite episodes... OF ALL TIME. Really enjoyed the atmosphere, puzzles and dialogue.

• @jovak said: I´m a big fan of everything that Telltale´s made and especially Sam&Max. But I don´t know what to think about these two episodes. Sure, they look great, the gameplay is harder and more advanced but something´s missing. There´s too little of the psychotic Max ("the total annihilation of the godless Belgians", "is this the end of little Maxie?"), the dialog isn´t as razorsharp as in the two last seasons. I sure hope that this will change in the upcoming episodes.

What I can say is that from the little parts I saw of Season 2... it seems like that the old season was more "Sam & Max"-ey, with lots of popular culture references, maybe less family friendly jokes, etc.

Add Comment