Menu
User Avatar Image

Thinking about getting a MI tatoo, any suggestions?

posted by Burnwurscht on - last edited - Viewed by 632 users

Hmm...I am thinking about getting a Monkey Island tatoo, what are your suggestions?

ATM I am leaning more towards something with Lechuck...

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Avistew said: Yes, but the question here isn't "should I do it or not?", it's "I'm going to do it, which way should I do it?".
    Therefore, the way I see it, "do it" and "don't do it" as indeed equally as valid, and that is not valid at all because completely irrelevant. It's nobody's choice to make but the OP's, and it's not the choice he's asking for help with. At least the way I see it, but as I said earlier, I re-read the original post, and I guess it could be read as "should I do it or not?" in which case answering "don't do it" wouldn't be rude. So I guess that's how the people who said that interpreted the question.

I suspect you're trying to make use argue over this, but as far as I'm concerned there isn't anything to argue about anymore. Just letting you know.

It's Fury, Avistew. YOU MUST ARGUE!

• @Avistew said: I guess it could be read as "should I do it or not?"

could be? The topic title says "thinking about" for crying out loud. Thinking about = not decided. Game, set, match.

• Did he ever decide on one?

• @doodo! said: Did he ever decide on one?

Hmmm not yet...it is a tough decition.

• I think that Steve Purcell's latest blog post is quite relevant to this thread. Not that it's a suggestion, I just thought it was funny that this topic popped up at around the same time as Purcell's latest blog entry and that they happen to be the on the same subject.

• Avistew, I don't understand why you're upset about all of this.

Say I was in a store and someone else--be it my wife, my mother, a total stranger or whomever--came up to me with various outfits or articles of clothing and asked me "which one do you think I should get?" I'm well within my rights to say "I don't like any of them." If I were to give that response and I was then told "that's not a proper response," I would be annoyed and say "THEN DON'T ASK ME IF YOU WON'T ACCEPT MY ANSWER." It's one thing to disagree. It's another to say my answer is stupid and doesn't address the question in the correct manner.

He's talking about paying to buy something to wear on his body permanently and I don't think he should. He asked which one he should get, and I'm saying "none." I can say that. It's not like it's a mandatory decision that he must make and can not go without. It's not like his apartment lease is running out and, after asking where he should live, we told him "nowhere" which not helpful at all as it is an unacceptable choice for him to make.

He should save his money and buy Sam & Max Season 3 and a ToMI shirt.

• @Chyron8472 said: Say I was in a store and someone else--be it my wife, my mother, a total stranger or whomever--came up to me with various outfits or articles of clothing and asked me "which one do you think I should get?" I'm well within my rights to say "I don't like any of them."

Technically, it would be more like saying "I don't think you should ever wear clothes, ever", and the person might get upset about that :p

And since the OP didn't offer choices, and didn't ask you specifically (you made the approach by posting) it's more like someone walked into a clothes store, asked to the crowd "would someone help me find some clothes for myself?" and you approached them and said "sure, I'll help you: don't get any clothes."
    I guess you'd also have to be naked when you say that.

[EDIT] actually it probably shouldn't be a clothes store since this isn't a tattoo forum. Maybe in the street or something. [/EDIT]

Anyway, the way I see it, the person might very well make the choice not to buy anything if they don't find anything they like, but it's their own choice to make. Just saying "don't do it" sounds more like an order than expressing your own opinion on the matter.
    And I'm not angry, really. I just didn't understand why you'd post to begin with if that's what you had to say. If that fictional person had said to the crowd they needed help with makeup, considering I don't wear makeup and feel it turns beautiful people ugly, I would have said "sorry, I can't help you with that" not "don't buy any".
    I was just shocked when one people did it, and then more and more people did and I just didn't get it. That's all there is to it, really.

• @Hayden said: I think that Steve Purcell's latest blog post is quite relevant to this thread. Not that it's a suggestion, I just thought it was funny that this topic popped up at around the same time as Purcell's latest blog entry and that they happen to be the on the same subject.

... I kinda wanna get it. kinda. I'll think about it.

• I'm a pretty big Transformers fan, so sometimes I visit Transformers forums. There was a thread from one guy who said his wife gave him permission to let his first child's middle name be a name from Transformers. He was asking which one he should go for (like Prime or something).

The graaaaand majority of the responses were "Please don't do that to the poor kid. If you must, give him a decent name that could be anything, like Magnus".

So this case isn't quite that extreme but I don't think it hurts to give your opinion in a thread asking for them. It really is like a shopping scenario. "red one or blue one" "mmm...neither". If you're set on your decision to get either the red or blue one, then simply ignore the opinion. If a ton of people say "neither", maybe take it into account that your decision isn't universally popular, but don't let it stop you. Let them cringe when they see you wearing said red or blue shirt. Everyone else can admire. Unless you're naming a kid after a show about alien robots.

That said, yeah, I gotta agree, don't get one. If you're gonna, I'd say find something not so blatant that can last into old age.

Ooh! Get a three headed monkey on your back. That way it'll always be behind you.

• @Nagaoka said: So this case isn't quite that extreme but I don't think it hurts to give your opinion in a thread asking for them. It really is like a shopping scenario. "red one or blue one" "mmm...neither".

This.

Add Comment