User Avatar Image

Did Curse destroy Monkey Island?

posted by Ash735 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Clearly there are a few people here that view Curse as the actual down point of the series, really laying into it, saying that the series would be better off dead than to have the Curse/Escape/Tales stories. Now, strong views, could be because of how they perceive the story or it could be something to do with the lack of Ron Gilbert being the main series runner once MI2 ended, but here's a coin flip thread, for anything that was done/explained in Curse, I'm going to take a look at why it was BAD and why it was GOOD. So let's get started:

THE BIG ONE: It was all a Dream/Curse??
BAD: In Monkey Island 1 and 2 we have many modern day references, as Monkey Island 2 progresses further into weirdness at the end we learn that LeChuck and Guybrush are brothers and are really kids at some amusement park, we're lead to believe that the series was actually in the head of a child with an over active imagination, as the credits roll we see Chuckie's eyes glow and somewhat resemble LeChuck facial features, but hey, this is just a cheeky nod to the gamer right? If we believe this route, then there would never be a Monkey Island 3, the idea is out, why would gamers want to play a game storyline they know is just the imagination of some kid, any threatening things in such story wouldn't matter anymore (which is odd seeing as Guybrush can Die in both Monkey Island 1 and 2). There were loads of book titles in the library that mention why Trilogies suck, etc so even though the idea was mentioned afterwards, Monkey Island 2 WAS meant to be the final story, the shock ending was meant to show the gamer that this amazing world they've been in for so long was actually just the dreams of a little boy.

GOOD: But wait, Chuckie's face turns into LeChuck as Guybrush and his parents walk away from him, and let's talk about Big Whoop, in the story, we already know that Four Crewmen and even LeChuck himself have seen Big Whoop and how terrible it is, yet here, in this odd tunnel, the crate is smashed, there is nothing in this crate except for a single E-Ticket, somethings not right here. Then we start seeing things from Melee Island and even the street from Melee Island itself, this is all getting weirder by the minute. Then comes the moment when Guybrush finally rips apart LeChuck, but wait, he's our Brother, our Kid Brother? And this Janitor appears telling us to get out? Then we get our weird ending, with the sinister glance from LeChuck to the player letting us know something is not right. And of course during the end credits we flash back to the Monkey Island universe where Elaine is waiting for Guybrush and comments that she hopes LeChucks hasn't put some kind of Curse on him and this is what Curse and essentially the rest of the series has built upon, has the rest of a series continued on from a throw away joke at the end of MI2, or was Guybrush really cursed and everything from waking up in the tunnels fake?

-- Coming Soon, LeChuck is a Cartoon Villain? The Four Map Pieces Explanation? An Amusement Park?? Continuity Problems? --

195 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: joke or not, it's still stupid.

I concur.

• Before actually playing it I remember thinking that Curse wasn't going to be very good (different mood, not sure where the storyline would go after LCR, new visual style, etc.) but it ended up being one of my favourite adventure games. Also, given the obscure/open-ended/abstract/jokey closing to LCR they had to work with, I think they did well with the continuity.

But I do think MonkeyMania's idea for MI2.5 needs to be made officially. :D

• @Chyron8472 said: joke or not, it's still stupid.

There wasn't anything stupid about the ending until CMI came around and decided LeChuck's evil scheme was to build and operate a theme park.

• @Bagge said: There wasn't anything stupid about the ending until CMI came around and decided LeChuck's evil scheme was to build and operate a theme park.

Yes it was. The only way it could've been not stupid would've been the real Monkey Island 3 with Ron Gilbert's mind. Unfortunately, we didn't get that.

• @plrichard said: Yes it was. The only way it could've been not stupid would've been the real Monkey Island 3 with Ron Gilbert's mind. Unfortunately, we didn't get that.

No, I do agree that the carnival at the end of MI2 was only made stupid by CMI's explanation of it, but there were endless possibilities as to how you could resolve the cliffhanger. It wasn't a binary option of either Ron's idea or "LeChuck, the theme park tychoon of Monkey Island".

• @plrichard said: Yes it was. The only way it could've been not stupid would've been the real Monkey Island 3 with Ron Gilbert's mind. Unfortunately, we didn't get that.

The real MI3? The end to MI2 was stupid and, aside from what CMI explained, neither Ron nor anyone else ever explained it more than to say it was a joke. Besides, CMI is the real MI3.

@plrichard said: The real Secret of Monkey Island: Dinghy Dog was really Herman Toothrot the whole time

I would have liked this better than for Herman to be H.T. Marley (which doesn't make sense.)

@plrichard said: No, I do agree that the carnival at the end of MI2 was only made stupid by CMI's explanation of it, but there were endless possibilities as to how you could resolve the cliffhanger. It wasn't a binary option of either Ron's idea or "LeChuck, the theme park tychoon of Monkey Island".

At least CMI gave an explanation. Ron did not. I was glad that CMI explained away that bullshit ending. It's much better than having a big-lipped-alligator-moment that no one ever explains or talks about ever again.

If you want to say that the MI universe is just a hallucination or a dream or a fantasy concocted by a child, then pardon me while I dropkick your severed head into a pit of lava.

• I liked the big whoop carnival and the idea lecuhck created it for world domnation (and everone knocks him but did make an army with it)

• @Chyron8472 said:
    At least CMI gave an explanation. Ron did not. I was glad that CMI explained away that bullshit ending. It's much better than having a big-lipped-alligator-moment that no one ever explains or talks about ever again.

If you want to say that the MI universe is just a hallucination or a dream or a fantasy concocted by a child, then pardon me while I dropkick your severed head into a pit of lava.

CMI gave an unsatisfactory explanation to a very interesting cliffhanger. To me, that is much worse than an open ending.

Some of the CMI-guys tend to get really riled up when talking about the ending of MI2, but yeah, it is quite possible that Ron Gilbert's original plan for the MI universe was that it represents a child's mind and imagination. The games hint at this at several occations, and getting agressive by the very notion that this could be the case seems weird to me. There are also, of course, tons of other possible explanations, but the way CMI resolved it was pretty weak, and did not fit smoothly into what was established at the end of MI2.

• Well there's nothing you can do about it. It was what it was. Let's move the franchise forward.

Add Comment