User Avatar Image

Over 50 puzzles?!

posted by Ezny on - last edited - Viewed by 950 users

Wow, that sounds like a lot, considering it's only one episode. At least at this point.

I'm starting to get a little excited for Puzzle Agent now.

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will episode one generally have? Is it going to be around the 6-hour area like most TT games? Or maybe a bit longer, considering over 50 puzzles... ?

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • and some puzzles have to be redrawn

• @GinnyN said: And some puzzle even has to be replaced because those were too Japanese. Professor Layton is really HARD to translate, far I know T_T

It uses a lot of kanji. I started playing "Layton Koujou to Saigo no Jikan Ryouko" (I know i've spelt that wrong) and I got stuck at the first puzzle. I could get most of the dialogue, Luke gets a letter from himself from ten years in the future, there's a joke about time travelling mailmen, and then Luke and Layton go to some demonstration of a time machine.

And then the puzzle starts. You have to put this guy on one specific table, and there;s like 20, and it's a riddle. And it's designed to be wordy for japanese people, so I just went BLEHHHHHH and gave up. Same sorta thing happened with "Layton Kyojou to Majin no Fue", I gave up on that one.

• When reading through this thread i strongly hope that the puzzles feel less artificial and are more natural integrated than in Professor Layton. I prefer more a real adventure instead of a scenario where just a certain number of puzzles are thrown into with only some wannabe connection.

Considering all the puzzles in magazines it's quite interesting that it took some time until something like Layton showed up.

• @taumel said: When reading through this thread i strongly hope that the puzzles feel less artificial and are more natural integrated than in Professor Layton. I prefer more a real adventure instead of a scenario where just a certain number of puzzles are thrown into with only some wannabe connection.

Considering all the puzzles in magazines it's quite interesting that it took some time until something like Layton showed up.

Puzzle Agent isn't the only Layton Ripoff. There's a couple of DS games out too. None of them are particularly good.

• I wouldnt call it a ripoff, its just acknowledging a style that has been proven to work and applying it to an original storyline and characters.

• @The Highway said: I wouldnt call it a ripoff, its just acknowledging a style that has been proven to work and applying it to an original storyline and characters.

From what I've seen so far, Layton has been a HUGE inspiration.

That being said, ripoffs can be good. The World Ends With You was a fantastic game, but the whole game ripped off Shin Megami Tensei.

• Ripoffs CAN be good, i agree.

But it doesn't feel like much of a rip off. From what I can see, the style, genre, story progression, puzzles, characters, locations, platforms, and company are all quite different. It's just that the game concept has been rarely seen and as such we almost automatically categorize new puzzle games as "must be a rip off of Professor Layton".

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

@The Highway said: It's just that the game concept has been rarely seen and as such we almost automatically categorize new puzzle games as "must be a rip off of Professor Layton".

Exactly. Remember back when the first FPS games were coming out, and everybody called them "Doom clones"? (Related graphic)

• Besides which, Telltale also brings up Layton repeatedly when talking about this. It's only natural.
    And taumel, I'll just quote myself from another thread for you.
    @Harald B said: In a brief interview with Kotaku Mark Darin told them exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone official:While the Tethers gameplay style may seem close to that of the Nintendo and Level 5 Layton games, Darin believes that a distinguishing factor will be the integration of the puzzles into the fiction. "We're really trying to hard to make sure all the puzzles you encounter in the world feel connected," he said. "Sometimes Professor Layton has a disconnect between the puzzles and the world. We're trying to close that gap as much as possible."
    With that, this game has just moved into instant preorder for me.

• I do not get the two stances "from what we have seen so far, it is a rip off" and "from what we have seen so far, it is clearly not a rip off".
    We have seen practically nothing so far.

Add Comment