User Avatar Image

Kind of disappointed...

posted by jovak on - last edited - Viewed by 324 users

I´m a big fan of everything that Telltale´s made and especially Sam&Max. But I don´t know what to think about these two episodes. Sure, they look great, the gameplay is harder and more advanced but something´s missing. There´s too little of the psychotic Max ("the total annihilation of the godless Belgians", "is this the end of little Maxie?"), the dialog isn´t as razorsharp as in the two last seasons. I sure hope that this will change in the upcoming episodes.

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lena_P said: And the "Cake vs Pie" thread in the general chat forum was posted six days after this thread and has more than twice as many pages.

Wait, what is this referring to? who are you talking to? and what does this have to do with being disappointed? im confused :confused:

• splash1 said "everyone's" posting "five scrolls" worth of posts about what they didn't like about episode two is the same as "tear(ing) the game down". I was trying to point out there have actually been very few complaints and that a discussion about the merits of different baked goods and pastries has actually garnered far more interest. I don't think he has to worry about a few folks complaining since it seems the majority of players loved the episode.

• @doodinthemood said: I guess everyone's different. I found the writing better in this one, but there did seem to be less of the following:
    1) click something you know is unimportant, 2) sam says something, 3) max says something witty in response.

It felt like there were a million of these items in season 1, in settings such as their office.

Yes- I totally agree. I think the writing is great in the current season (and the storytelling possibly better). But there is less back and forth between Sam and Max. Previously, I would be amused by them talking to each other as much as I would be amused solving the puzzles and progressing the story. There was a real sense of their friendship and it was truly delightful.

• I actually loved 301 and 302, but found almost no references to pop culture and, you know, stuff you would think is in a Sam & Max media.
    Season 3 is probably less random, and this is both a good and a bad thing.

You look at 201 and you see a giant singing robot that sings popular songs, and a "Torture me Elmer" doll, you know what I mean.

• Off the top of my bonce, these are my thoughts on the series so far

LOVE
    Presentation - film grain, directing, general art-style.
    More locations per-episode than any other TT game.
    The story overall (up to now).
    Skunkape (and the toilet humour that went with the whole of The Penal Zone).
    Return of the map.
    Soundtrack.

DISLIKE
    The dialogue doesn't seem quite as funny/random, particularly in episode 2. This could just be due to the setting though.
    I feel like every character plays a big role in the game and pop up everywhere you go. In older adventure games (sorry!) there were a lot of characters that would only stay in one place (like a kiosk, bridge etc) and would simply provide you with a short exchange of dialogue and maybe an item.
    A lot less inventory items and less clickable but useless scenery items.
    The mole-people and their screechy voices (I guess they'll be in every episode. Shame. I'll get used to them).

• @guitarsareboring said: I feel like every character plays a big role in the game and pop up everywhere you go. In older adventure games (sorry!) there were a lot of characters that would only stay in one place (like a kiosk, bridge etc) and would simply provide you with a short exchange of dialogue and maybe an item.

I think that's one of the downside of voiced games. Every character needs a different voice, so you tend to have less very minor characters because you'd need to give them their own voice (and in some cases get an actor just for them), and of course you can't go as wild with the amount of dialogue as you would if it was only text.
    I think when you write a game and you know it's going to be voiced, you kind of adapt your writing to that, if I'm making sense.

Of course in this specific case there might also be the same thing with models. Re-using models rather than creating new ones probably takes less room.

• My only issue with Season 3 is I fear they will continue the whole "Max has psychic powers!" bit on to future seasons. Don't get me wrong, its a cool idea and interesting gameplay mechanic. However, its a drastic character change for the Max we all already have come to love over the years. They should keep max has having an importance to the puzzles. I just don't know if using a drastic character change is such a great idea.

That and its annoying having to switch to Sam in order to reposition Max if something you want to cast on isn't in view.

• LOVE
    Everything.

That's right, I have no complaints whatsoever. 'The Penal Zone' and 'The Tomb of Sammun-Mak' are my two favourite Sam & Max episodes yet. They even outdo 'Chariot of the Dogs', which I thought was an absolute classic. I dunno, I just really like the whole feel of season 3 so far. It's hard to put my finger on the reason; whether it's the writing, the locations, the characters, the storyline, the deeper plot, the glimpses of darkness (end of episode 2), the puzzles, the psychic powers or the brilliant interface and gameplay, I don't know, but I've never enjoyed playing Sam & Max as much as I have in The Devil's Playhouse. I really hope that Telltale continues whatever it is their doing to make this season so great because I'm loving it.

• @Dallen said: My only issue with Season 3 is I fear they will continue the whole "Max has psychic powers!" bit on to future seasons.

I don't think they will, I suspect the powers will be all wrapped up and explained by the end of the season.

• Sam will wake up and it was all a dream, perhaps?

Just kidding, that's the worst ending possible ;)

Add Comment