User Avatar Image

Over 50 puzzles?!

posted by Ezny on - last edited - Viewed by 798 users

Wow, that sounds like a lot, considering it's only one episode. At least at this point.

I'm starting to get a little excited for Puzzle Agent now.

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will episode one generally have? Is it going to be around the 6-hour area like most TT games? Or maybe a bit longer, considering over 50 puzzles... ?

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Harald B said: And taumel, I'll just quote myself from another thread for you.

Thanks for this information, then they are already aware of it. I think there is a great difference in throwing some puzzles at an audience or integrating the right puzzles nicely into the story (or making the story/situation breed the riddles). The later involves much more work but also is the more pleasing product. If you design this correctly you'll end up with an adventure, otherwise it's a puzzle pack with some mostly annoying click away dialogues.

• @doodinthemood said: I do not get the two stances "from what we have seen so far, it is a rip off" and "from what we have seen so far, it is clearly not a rip off".
    We have seen practically nothing so far.

well, we have seen screenshots and the developer feature...

• Having puzzles that are separate from the gameplay world doesn't mean that it's a rip-off of Layton. Let's wait and see how the game really plays to determine how much of Layton the game is mimicking.

• @The Highway said: well, we have seen screenshots and the developer feature...

Yup. Definitely not enough really. We definitely don't know enough to rule out the possibility it will just be a rip off, or the possibility that it won't be.

• @doodinthemood said: Yup. Definitely not enough really. We definitely don't know enough to rule out the possibility it will just be a rip off, or the possibility that it won't be.

Well, the puzzle screen is identical to Layton.

• @Fury said: Well, the puzzle screen is identical to Layton.

No it's not: There aren't two screens.

• @The Highway said: No it's not: There aren't two screens.

The top screen is just the description of the puzzle.

The actual puzzle bit is identical in layout and word choice.

It's a ripoff. It can still be awesome, in fact I think it will be, but it's inspiration is obvious.

It's like saying the Classic Controller Pro isn't a PS3 controller because it has Wii written on it and the home icon is blue.

• I'm not convinced it is a rip off. Yes, the inspiration is Layton, they've admitted as much.

The way I see it is that someone had to make the first racing game, now there's hundreds. That doesn't mean they're all the same and ripping off from one another. I think it's the same with Puzzle Agent.

• @jeeno0142 said: I'm not convinced it is a rip off. Yes, the inspiration is Layton, they've admitted as much.

The way I see it is that someone had to make the first racing game, now there's hundreds. That doesn't mean they're all the same and ripping off from one another. I think it's the same with Puzzle Agent.

There's a difference between having a similar style of gameplay and having exactly the same. The HUD in the two games is the same. The art style is different, but that's it so far.

Puzzle Agent is claiming it's going to have puzzles integrated into the story. I doubt that it can be done with 50 puzzles. Layton had a fair number of puzzles integrated into the story, it was only really the bonus puzzles or puzzles given to you by people on the street that were random. There were a lot of plot related puzzles, Puzzle Agent's shining feature has already been done by Layton.

You guys can defend it all you want, but it's obiously a rip off. It could still be freaking awesome though. Which was why I bought it an hour after it was announced.

• @Fury said: There's a difference between having a similar style of gameplay and having exactly the same. The HUD in the two games is the same. The art style is different, but that's it so far.

It's like saying everything is a rip-off of Shakespeare, when Shakespeare got all his stories from somewhere else.

A Rip-Off will be if they imitate everything from the source. They just have a similar Gameplay, and that it, far we know. That doesn't make them a Rip-Off just because they decided to use 1 thing from the game. Why they cannot?

Add Comment