User Avatar Image

Kind of disappointed...

posted by jovak on - last edited - Viewed by 499 users

I´m a big fan of everything that Telltale´s made and especially Sam&Max. But I don´t know what to think about these two episodes. Sure, they look great, the gameplay is harder and more advanced but something´s missing. There´s too little of the psychotic Max ("the total annihilation of the godless Belgians", "is this the end of little Maxie?"), the dialog isn´t as razorsharp as in the two last seasons. I sure hope that this will change in the upcoming episodes.

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @NeatNit said: Sam will wake up and it was all a dream, perhaps?

Just kidding, that's the worst ending possible ;)

Yeah, that and 'it was all just a ride in a theme park'.

• @guitarsareboring said: I feel like every character plays a big role in the game and pop up everywhere you go. In older adventure games (sorry!) there were a lot of characters that would only stay in one place (like a kiosk, bridge etc) and would simply provide you with a short exchange of dialogue and maybe an item.

I don't like those kinds of characters. They're boring. I much prefer the recurring kind.

@guitarsareboring said: My only issue with Season 3 is I fear they will continue the whole "Max has psychic powers!" bit on to future seasons. Don't get me wrong, its a cool idea and interesting gameplay mechanic. However, its a drastic character change for the Max we all already have come to love over the years. They should keep max has having an importance to the puzzles. I just don't know if using a drastic character change is such a great idea.

Max has had latent psychic powers since at least the Beast from the Cereal Aisle comic. I'm not just making that up, either.

• @guitarsareboring said: I don't think they will, I suspect the powers will be all wrapped up and explained by the end of the season.

Maybe he meant that it would be referenced to and joked about in future games. Like the 'Max is President' joke.

• @Lena_P said: I felt like jumping back and forth through the reels allowed for clever puzzle design, but that it didn't do the story any favors.

While I agree that the reel mechanism kinda disrupted the story, it doesn't look as a bad thing to me. Partially because it was interesting to piece the elements together, and mostly because there's no rule that the story needs to be woven in any manner resembling sane in a Sam&Max game :)

• max can kepi vim buet when questioned about them he sees I find it cheating so I hid them whif the Psychic Powers chimes from the Blister of Tranquility and Soul Mater and the 4 Horseman aching fingers. sam: what didn't we get rid of the 4 Horseman aching on that elf. max: yap Santa gave me 2 and you 2 when we saved him it just I didn't tell you up in to now because I wanted to have vem all.

• @guitarsareboring said: I don't think they will, I suspect the powers will be all wrapped up and explained by the end of the season.

Don't be to sure, I have a hunch he'll keep the powers under very strict rules on how to use it.

• @splash1 said: Don't be to sure, I have a hunch he'll keep the powers under very strict rules on how to use it.

And how, pray-tell, would that work with Max of all people?

I'd figure that he'd just lose all the toys which have the powers, so latent, but non-manifesting powers.

• @Avel said: And how, pray-tell, would that work with Max of all people?

Simple, in later Seasons he still has the Toys but he doesn't talk, or use the powers much at all. They're just used in time for puzzles and such.

• @Shwoo said: Max has had latent psychic powers since at least the Beast from the Cereal Aisle comic. I'm not just making that up, either.

Earlier than that. Bad day on the Moon, Consciousness Transference. If THAT cannot be explained by psychic powers, I don't know how.

• @Avistew said: I think that's one of the downside of voiced games. Every character needs a different voice, so you tend to have less very minor characters because you'd need to give them their own voice (and in some cases get an actor just for them), and of course you can't go as wild with the amount of dialogue as you would if it was only text.
    I think when you write a game and you know it's going to be voiced, you kind of adapt your writing to that, if I'm making sense.

Of course in this specific case there might also be the same thing with models. Re-using models rather than creating new ones probably takes less room.

TOMI managed to pull it off. It had a bunch of voice actors who didn't do that much, and it was better for it.

Re-using models is lazy though. It looks really really bad. TOMI episode 1 had it the worst, but they managed to fix it up by Episode 3, but 1 and 2 are kinda shameful.

I thought we would have better graphics than Season 1 and 2 in Season 3, but it's not the case. Like that smiley face on the moles keeps clipping into their robes when they move, and all the models are re-used. That and there's not really any new characters, they're all just recycled from the old series.

I wish Harry Moleman would go away. It was fine having him in 103, but he just keeps coming back and it's really annoying.

In every new Sam and Max game, 4/5 characters are intentionally annoying, like the elves and stuff.

Add Comment