User Avatar Image

Did Curse destroy Monkey Island?

posted by Ash735 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Clearly there are a few people here that view Curse as the actual down point of the series, really laying into it, saying that the series would be better off dead than to have the Curse/Escape/Tales stories. Now, strong views, could be because of how they perceive the story or it could be something to do with the lack of Ron Gilbert being the main series runner once MI2 ended, but here's a coin flip thread, for anything that was done/explained in Curse, I'm going to take a look at why it was BAD and why it was GOOD. So let's get started:

THE BIG ONE: It was all a Dream/Curse??
BAD: In Monkey Island 1 and 2 we have many modern day references, as Monkey Island 2 progresses further into weirdness at the end we learn that LeChuck and Guybrush are brothers and are really kids at some amusement park, we're lead to believe that the series was actually in the head of a child with an over active imagination, as the credits roll we see Chuckie's eyes glow and somewhat resemble LeChuck facial features, but hey, this is just a cheeky nod to the gamer right? If we believe this route, then there would never be a Monkey Island 3, the idea is out, why would gamers want to play a game storyline they know is just the imagination of some kid, any threatening things in such story wouldn't matter anymore (which is odd seeing as Guybrush can Die in both Monkey Island 1 and 2). There were loads of book titles in the library that mention why Trilogies suck, etc so even though the idea was mentioned afterwards, Monkey Island 2 WAS meant to be the final story, the shock ending was meant to show the gamer that this amazing world they've been in for so long was actually just the dreams of a little boy.

GOOD: But wait, Chuckie's face turns into LeChuck as Guybrush and his parents walk away from him, and let's talk about Big Whoop, in the story, we already know that Four Crewmen and even LeChuck himself have seen Big Whoop and how terrible it is, yet here, in this odd tunnel, the crate is smashed, there is nothing in this crate except for a single E-Ticket, somethings not right here. Then we start seeing things from Melee Island and even the street from Melee Island itself, this is all getting weirder by the minute. Then comes the moment when Guybrush finally rips apart LeChuck, but wait, he's our Brother, our Kid Brother? And this Janitor appears telling us to get out? Then we get our weird ending, with the sinister glance from LeChuck to the player letting us know something is not right. And of course during the end credits we flash back to the Monkey Island universe where Elaine is waiting for Guybrush and comments that she hopes LeChucks hasn't put some kind of Curse on him and this is what Curse and essentially the rest of the series has built upon, has the rest of a series continued on from a throw away joke at the end of MI2, or was Guybrush really cursed and everything from waking up in the tunnels fake?

-- Coming Soon, LeChuck is a Cartoon Villain? The Four Map Pieces Explanation? An Amusement Park?? Continuity Problems? --

195 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MonkeyMania said: Well there's nothing you can do about it. It was what it was. Let's move the franchise forward.

This.

I liked the old series, I like the new series. Let's forget all the bull and just enjoy the Monkey Island of today.

• Did Curse kill Monkey Island?

I'd rather know an answer to this:
    With the exceptional lengths it takes Guybrush to navigate to Monkey Island how is it that mere piratey tourists (with a desire to be transformed into the undead via a Voodoo enhanced Theme Park) are able too so easily?

Maybe that is but another secret of Monkey Island...

• Did Curse destroy Monkey Island? Absolutely not. Did it change monkey Island? Perhaps a little bit, but not in a bad way, certainly not destroying it in any capacity.
    The first MI game I'd ever played was LeChuck's Revenge. To be honest, the game scared me a bit, especially with the catacombs scene, the atmosphere of Scabb Island, etc. I felt more distressed with the game than amused and entertained by it. This didn't seem like the Monkey Island games I'd read about for years.
    And then came Curse. HERE was that game. This was the game that hooked me on Monkey Island. Why? What was it that felt so different about this game? The style. It was beautiful. Gone was the distress from the graveyard and tunnel, and here was the jaunty thrill of the sea battles and the rollercoaster.
    I find it a bit disheartening that Curse can't be talked about without mentioning MI2. It doesn't seem to be given a fair shake.

• I think all 5 Monkey Island parts have their own charmes.

Sure, the first 2 were quite close to each other, Curse was the return of a Saga, Escape was a experiment. The controls of Escape were terrible, but the story and riddles were ok. TOMI fits nicely into the line.

Game series evolve, change, there is nothing to do about this.

We can't expect the same style of games over 20 years.

Monkey Island will go on if they can think of another way to bring LeChuck back.

• I don't actually think that LeChuck is necessary for the next MI game. There is no point including him if they can write a good story without him. I think it's time to give him a bit of a rest for the next game, to prevent the games from getting repetitive.

• I think a good idea for a future game could be having an entirely new main villain (not LeChuck in any of his incarnations, not even someone working for him or wanting to revive him) for most of the game, and LeChuck being revived accidentally at the end of the game, so the last chapter is Guybrush and that new villain working together to defeat LeChuck

• @Javi-Wan Kenobi said: I think a good idea for a future game could be having an entirely new main villain (not LeChuck in any of his incarnations, not even someone working for him or wanting to revive him) for most of the game, and LeChuck being revived accidentally at the end of the game, so the last chapter is Guybrush and that new villain working together to defeat LeChuck

That's my idea that I outlined Months ago, the Three Teams thing, with LeChuck gone, there are now many more Pirates rising to be the "new" LeChuck, so lots of attacks, Sword Fights, etc, with the game pretty much falling into three groups, a Group of Pirates lead by Guybrush, a Group of Pirates lead by Largo LaGrande fixated on the fact that they want to get to Monkey Island and Revive LeChuck somehow, and the last group lead by the new main villain, who's that demented, he wants to pass through the gates of Big Whoop on Monkey Island to seal his fate as LeChucks replacement.

Add Comment