User Avatar Image

Theology

posted by kaptein_kaffe on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Discussing religion is generally a very bad idea on the internet, but there are a lot of down to earth and rational people on this forum so I decided to give it a go.

I want to hear your beliefs. Also, try to keep an open mind and show respect to other people's opinions. I don't care weather you're a fanatic catholic, fanatic atheist or whatever. Arguing about "who's right" is just a terrible cliche.

Personally I believe that there is a god. I'm not agnostic, I believe in god, but that's just my own spiritual reflection on it. I don't judge other religions and say that "this is right", it's more along the lines of Baruch de Spinoza's take on it where you see god as everything. Maybe there's a word for what that is, I don't know. I prefer to look at everything that is beyond our understanding with humility. Most of my religious knowledge lies within catholicism and I generally agree with the ten commandments, but I also believe that the religion is blurred for the sake of politics, ways of maintaining order and fanatic influences (edit: + things that are lost in translation). In short, I'm a read between the lines kind of guy.

My knowledge on the subject is limited, so it's possible that I won't be able to keep up with the discussion. I'd just like to hear your views :)

305 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: Why is that it seems the agnostics and atheists are the most vocal/confrontational/belittling/belligerent on this thread? It's like you think you have something to prove and are therefore compelled to try to get a rise out of people.

Fortunately, it hasn't been very successful, but my point still stands.

...Whatever happened to trying to have an intelligent and civil conversation?

Dunno who that was directed at, but I cannot see many posts aiming to get a rise out of people. Indeed, I rarely see said posts anywhere. I think it would just be because atheists disagree with you, that you end up perceiving them as belligerent. For an atheist, it would likely be the other way around.
    There is also that religions are pretty established, so often don't need to do much shouting to get noticed or heard.

• @doodinthemood said: Dunno who that was directed at, but I cannot see many posts aiming to get a rise out of people. Indeed, I rarely see said posts anywhere. I think it would just be because atheists disagree with you, that you end up perceiving them as belligerent. For an atheist, it would likely be the other way around.
    There is also that religions are pretty established, so often don't need to do much shouting to get noticed or heard.

Is it safe for everyone to assume that you didn't find the Jewish Zombie post offensive and that you actually consider that copied/pasted remark to be a valid contribution to an intelligent, rational discussion?

• Hrrrm. I didn't find it offensive, no. It's not the most intelligent, but it does demonstrate the poster's view point (that christianity is absurd, and thus incorrect.)

• I'd like to point out that it's possible to be offensive and demonstrate your point of view. I could tell my friend I don't think that dress suits her, or I could tell her it makes her look like a water buffalo. Technically, they both come to the same thing, but if she got pissed with me for the second comment I wouldn't blame her. I don't think Chryon's statement was very fair either, since it made it sound like he was judging all athesists and agnostics by Pale Man's behavior, and because it is also unfair to judge them as one group since they are quite different.

People, let's keep this civil, and by civil I mean do not belittle someone's beliefs. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't means you can make fun of their way of thinking. If you have issue with their statements or beliefs, state you issues in a non-aggressive way that invites a non-aggressive response.

• I'm Christian and personally I found it very offensive.

I'm not the best Christian around as being a feisty redhead, learning to "turn the other cheek" is a big obstacle for me.

• @Lena, I'm not sure that makes total sense. If the belief is offensive, that's ok, but the reaction cannot be?

• If you are offended that people believe in Christianity, that's your problem. People have the right to believe in what they believe. Just as the forums agnostics, atheists, Buddhists, Jews and Hindus have the right to believe what they like, so do the forum's Christians.

This is meant to be a discussion. No one has the right to tell any one else they're wrong for believing what they believe. No one has the right to make fun of someone's beliefs. No one has the right to attack any other forum user personally.

• I have one more belief I'd like to share...

I believe that the blackberry ice cream I made today is going to be heavenly ;)

• I don't understand how posting something which accurately describes how I feel about what Christianity is could offend someone, but here's another quote that accurately reflects why I think it's silly to believe in the Christian idea of a god.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

-Epicurus

• I'm Catholic and even I think that some of the stuff we Christians believe in is sort of ludicrous. But that's why it's called belief. It doesn't need to make sense as long as it's good enough for people (Flying Spaghetti Monster for example:p).

As for Epicurus, I personally love that quote. But, as far as philosophers go, I prefer Bentham. He's stuffed.:D

Add Comment