User Avatar Image

Classic movies

posted by Kroms on - last edited - Viewed by 615 users

Anyone here love classic movies?

I'm not talking about a modern classic, iether. I'm talking about movies made back when before scientists invented colour: where the world was still, literally, black and white. Well, movies that had colour added later are okay. Oh, and made pre-1990 :)

Recommend, recommend.

So...uhhh....I'll start with the 1933 version of King Kong, which was quite a thrill, really, once I got into it. I will also recommend Hitchcock's version of Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, and the uncut version of Touch of Evil.

Yeah, I haven't seen many. Not the movie-watcher I used to be.

Recommend 'er.

98 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I third Dr. Strangelove. Also, I love Casablanca, The Apartment, Double Indemnity, anything by the Marx Brothers, and anything by Errol Flynn:D.

• I haven't watched many classics, but I have watched the original King Kong, and all of the Little Rascals. (If those even count as films). Oh yeah, and I saw a silent picture where Rudolf Valentino plays the a rich guy in some desert.

• Oh, speaking of the original King Kong, I highly suggest you track down the original Japanese version of Godzilla. The rubber suit portions are still pretty dang laughable, but the movie itself is actually pretty good. You really get an almost uncomfortable taste of post-Hiroshima Japan. It's pretty drastically different from the Americanized version with Raymond Burr.

• The only classics I always watch is Disney's Classic Shorts, pretty much because I already seen a ton of Warner's thanks to my time Cartoon Network from here. I was watching some clips of the Three Caballeros last night, and it's pretty fun to understand the 90% of José Carioca speech just because Portuguese and Spanish are so close as a language =P.

I also had a disc of a bunch of Banned WWII Propaganda Shorts I torrented which are pretty fun :D. I had to admit some are just lame for its nature, but Ducktators and In Der Fuhrer Face are just insane. And Hilarious ^^!

• Old B&W series worth watching are: Mr. Moto, Charlie Chan, Twilight Zone.

• @Kroms said: Anyone here love classic movies?

I'm not talking about a modern classic, iether. I'm talking about movies made back when before scientists invented colour: where the world was still, literally, black and white. Well, movies that had colour added later are okay. Oh, and made pre-1990 :)

Recommend, recommend.

So...uhhh....I'll start with the 1933 version of King Kong, which was quite a thrill, really, once I got into it. I will also recommend Hitchcock's version of Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, and the uncut version of Touch of Evil.

Yeah, I haven't seen many. Not the movie-watcher I used to be.

Recommend 'er.

Well, one can seldom go wrong with Metropolis, but I trust you are looking for old - not ancient. Might I recommend Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious? It is possibly my most favorite black and white film where the actors talk.

• @Andrew Ryan said: Well, one can seldom go wrong with Metropolis, but I trust you are looking for old - not ancient. Might I recommend Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious? It is possibly my most favorite black and white film where the actors talk.

What, not "The Fountainhead"?

• @Pale Man said: What, not "The Fountainhead"?

Forget the film, there's a book for people who aren't philistines. There are differences between the novel and the film, differences that can lead to parasitism. You simply cannot abridge Ayn Rand's work, it can't be done!

How can you, for example, remove Wyland's contemplation of suicide? It was a recurring theme? How can you relegate Keating and Toohey to minor roles? Don't even get me started on the ending, you sniveling worm. Why would they butcher a cornerstone of Objectivist theory? I know why.

You see, friend, the parasites in Hollywood - with their bowing to censorship and praise of the Left - have long sought to steal the sweat of men's brows. It is for this reason that Hollywood could never dream of filming the Fountainhead accurately... and why they can never hope to capture Atlas Shrugged or Anthem.

• Woudln't all films before 2000 be modern classics, when they are all from the 20th century?

• @Will said: he has some really great lesser known stuff like Ikiru.

I'll second this. Damn movie makes you want to change your life.

Add Comment