User Avatar Image

Theology

posted by kaptein_kaffe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Discussing religion is generally a very bad idea on the internet, but there are a lot of down to earth and rational people on this forum so I decided to give it a go.

I want to hear your beliefs. Also, try to keep an open mind and show respect to other people's opinions. I don't care weather you're a fanatic catholic, fanatic atheist or whatever. Arguing about "who's right" is just a terrible cliche.

Personally I believe that there is a god. I'm not agnostic, I believe in god, but that's just my own spiritual reflection on it. I don't judge other religions and say that "this is right", it's more along the lines of Baruch de Spinoza's take on it where you see god as everything. Maybe there's a word for what that is, I don't know. I prefer to look at everything that is beyond our understanding with humility. Most of my religious knowledge lies within catholicism and I generally agree with the ten commandments, but I also believe that the religion is blurred for the sake of politics, ways of maintaining order and fanatic influences (edit: + things that are lost in translation). In short, I'm a read between the lines kind of guy.

My knowledge on the subject is limited, so it's possible that I won't be able to keep up with the discussion. I'd just like to hear your views :)

305 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Pale Man said: I believe in no organized religion, have only been inside a church twice in my life, both were funerals, and I am pretty certain my conscience and moral code is far more developed and far stricter than the vast majority of people I've met in my life who identify as "Christian". Being Christian doesn't automatically entitle you to special powers of improved conscience, and in several cases, I've seen people justify their insane lack of a conscience by saying "oh it's okay I can just apologize and Jesus will forgive me". Saying someone who is religious has a more developed conscience than someone who isn't is an incredibly wrong assumption.

Saying someone who is religious CAN'T have a more developed conscience than someone who isn't is an incredibly wrong assumption.

• @Pale Man said: http://www.losingmyreligion.com/essays/brad/cultleader.htm

I'm not going to fight about this.

You can discover on your own whether God really exists. Arguing with me and calling Jesus a cult leader isn't going to hinder my relationship with Him.

If you say that what I believe is absurd, then you're free to do so.

• @Chyron8472 said: I'm not going to fight about this.

You can discover on your own whether God really exists. Arguing with me and calling Jesus a cult leader isn't going to hinder my relationship with Him.

If you say that what I believe is absurd, then you're free to do so.

Good. I endorse this statement.

• @Secret Fawful said: Saying someone who is religious CAN'T have a more developed conscience than someone who isn't is an incredibly wrong assumption.

I didn't say that, at all.

• Ehh, people have made fun of Christians since the very beginning. It's nothing new.

• @Pale Man said: I didn't say that, at all.

I did.

• Actually, what I'm currently curious about is who people think will go to hell. Also I'm curious about what everyone thinks hell is like.

• What I'm wondering is, since the texts were meant for people thousands of years ago, that they're outdated now because we live in different conditions, and that the passages are so prone to misinterpretation (I don't know two people who agree exactly on which parts should be taken literally and which parts shouldn't), wouldn't it make more sense for the Bible to be a constantly moving amount of text, with added parts that relate to today, removing the parts that don't anymore, etc, in short the way it used to be constantly modified in the past.
    Now it's been the same and is seen as "untouchable" and "unchangeable" when even Christians seem to agree that some parts need to be interpreted completely differently, and so on.

• @Chyron8472 said: I challenge you to ask Him yourself, to reveal Himself to you. If you are truly seeking, you'll find Him also.

If you ask god something, that would mean you already believe he exists, because if you don't believe he's there, you're not going to ask him anything.
    Also, in my previous post 'wrong' was the, well, wrong word to use. Sorry.

@Chyron8472 said: Got it. Don't care.

Can I ask, why not? Just saying "Don't care" isn't a really constructive way to dismiss an argument.

Add Comment