User Avatar Image

Over 50 puzzles?!

posted by Ezny on - last edited - Viewed by 952 users

Wow, that sounds like a lot, considering it's only one episode. At least at this point.

I'm starting to get a little excited for Puzzle Agent now.

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will episode one generally have? Is it going to be around the 6-hour area like most TT games? Or maybe a bit longer, considering over 50 puzzles... ?

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GinnyN said: It's like saying everything is a rip-off of Shakespeare, when Shakespeare got all his stories from somewhere else.

A Rip-Off will be if they imitate everything from the source. They just have a similar Gameplay, and that it, far we know. That doesn't make them a Rip-Off just because they decided to use 1 thing from the game. Why they cannot?

I think we need to see more before we make a decision if it's a ripoff. But for what we've seen, it's freakishly similar.

Gameplay is the same, the puzzle screen is identical and it has the same hint system. It has different music and graphics though, but that's all we've seen.

I assummed the Puzzle Agent page would have been updated by now. No-one's gonna buy it if they know nothing about it. There's been like 10 screenshots and a developer interview, that's hardly the way to create hype.

• @Fury said: I think we need to see more before we make a decision if it's a ripoff. But for what we've seen, it's freakishly similar.

Gameplay is the same, the puzzle screen is identical and it has the same hint system. It has different music and graphics though, but that's all we've seen.

You're saying is too soon for calling it a Ripoff, so, not do it until is released!

• I'll post judgement when it's out, but for now, it's a ripoff until I see otherwise.

• Since when does using the same mechanics as another game make something a "ripoff"? If it used the same mechanics, same storyline, same art style, same everything, that would be a ripoff. If you want to go down that road, every game Telltale has ever made is a "ripoff", since they didn't invent point and click. Actually, pretty much 90% of all games ever made are ripoffs by those standards.

• From what is known yet i don't have the feeling that it will be a ripoff, not unless you want to call the majority of the video games beeing ripoffs.

• @Tor said: Exactly. Remember back when the first FPS games were coming out, and everybody called them "Doom clones"? (Related graphic)

I must say, I am struck by the clarity by which this this post single-handedly destroys Fury's argument.

• 50 puzzles, eh?

Hmm... I suppose I can try the game out. I'll at least have to play the demo.

• @Maratanos said: I must say, I am struck by the clarity by which this this post single-handedly destroys Fury's argument.

The thing is though, Doom was a radical reimagining of how video games worked, and created a new genre. However, the first few games were ripoffs of this formula.

The puzzle genre already exists, Layton didn't really do anything new. It was pretty much a point and click adventure game, but all the puzzles were well.. puzzles.

Although you can say ripping off a game is creating a new genre, in the majority of cases it's wrong. Luxor is a Zuma ripoff, although technically you could call Zuma a genre now, so it's not a ripoff. It's just getting silly.

It is ripping off most of Layton. There's no denying it, even the developers cited Layton as their source of inspiration.

As a huge Layton fan however, I'm really looking forward to this game.

• That's all nice and well, but you should keep in mind that "ripoff" is not a neutral term. It's a very derogatory qualifier implying inferior quality and a complete lack of originality. We would hardly be having this discussion if you would use a more neutral word like "clone" instead.

• @Harald B said: That's all nice and well, but you should keep in mind that "ripoff" is not a neutral term. It's a very derogatory qualifier implying inferior quality and a complete lack of originality. We would hardly be having this discussion if you would use a more neutral word like "clone" instead.

Still means the same thing. If you had actually read my posts and not just gone "Ooo he said ripoff, he's such a troll" like a bunch of idiots, we'd never have this problem, now would we.

Add Comment