User Avatar Image

Over 50 puzzles?!

posted by Ezny on - last edited - Viewed by 549 users

Wow, that sounds like a lot, considering it's only one episode. At least at this point.

I'm starting to get a little excited for Puzzle Agent now.

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will episode one generally have? Is it going to be around the 6-hour area like most TT games? Or maybe a bit longer, considering over 50 puzzles... ?

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's curious, because you're saying the same things as me in terms of "we have no information yet", but come at that from the point of "it's a ripoff until proven otherwise".

  • @doodinthemood said: It's curious, because you're saying the same things as me in terms of "we have no information yet", but come at that from the point of "it's a ripoff until proven otherwise".



    Only because of a few things:

    - Same gameplay (A puzzle was shown on gamespot)
    - Same Hint System (Chewing Gum, 3 Per Puzzle = Hint Coins From Layton)
    - Same Puzzle Screen Layout (Buttons in exactly the same positions as Layton)

    The only original things I've seen is the art design, everything else I've seen is from Layton. So although I haven't seen much, what I have seen I've already seen in Layton.

  • @Fury said: Still means the same thing. If you had actually read my posts and not just gone "Ooo he said ripoff, he's such a troll" like a bunch of idiots, we'd never have this problem, now would we.

    No it doesn't. Using a word like ripoff implies harsh disapproval. You're getting people riled up because your use of the word ripoff suggests you're saying it sucks before even seeing it finished yet. It's true that the rest of your post shows you don't mean it like that, but that kind of thing gets into people's minds (also harsher and more negative stuff gets remembered better, especially on the internet).

  • @Fury said: Only because of a few things:

    - Same gameplay (A puzzle was shown on gamespot)
    - Same Hint System (Chewing Gum, 3 Per Puzzle = Hint Coins From Layton)
    - Same Puzzle Screen Layout (Buttons in exactly the same positions as Layton)

    The only original things I've seen is the art design, everything else I've seen is from Layton. So although I haven't seen much, what I have seen I've already seen in Layton.



    Every modern MMO is an "Asheron's Call 2 ripoff" then, including World of Warcraft, since they all use the same basic screen layout, game mechanics, and quest systems.

    Every real-time strategy game is a "Dune 2 ripoff" because they all use a similar control style and gameplay style.

    Every point and click adventure game is a "Deja vu ripoff" because they use the same gameplay and a similar interface.

    Using a tried and true interface, gameplay mechanic, or the like does not make a game a ripoff. It would be a ripoff if it were called "Professor Clayton: The Furious Pillage" and the entire storyline and character designs were derivative in every way. The mechanics of a game have nothing to do with the game being a "ripoff" or not, they're just mechanics. Sure, it's cool when a game comes out that makes its own rules, but those are few and far between.

  • I prefer the term "loving tribute".

  • Exactly, it's an homage! Fury, you just don't get it.

  • Fury is right and you people are crazy. It's clearly a clone of Professor Layton. The Layton games aren't perfect so there's a lot of room for Puzzle Agent to improve on it, but I'd personally probably use the word knock-off.

    Layton didn't revolutionize gaming, but it did come up with a so-far unique combination of elements, and Puzzle Agent seems to be replicating all of them. It's not a point and click adventure, it's not even a variation of a point and click adventure, it's a riddle game with a frame story. Puzzle Agent may prove to be less similar than it seems, but all the evidence so far suggests a very straightforward clone.

  • Yeah!

    And Warcraft 1 was out before Dune 2.

    It's like saying Word Coach isn't a ripoff of Brain Training, even though they're both exactly the same and both give you a brain age. But you could classify them both as "Brain Training Genre" and suddenly it's not a ripoff. But it still is.

    Your loyalty to TellTale is blinding you to the fact it's a ripoff. It should still be awesome, but they're 90% identical.

  • @Fury said:
    And Warcraft 1 was out before Dune 2.



    No, it wasn't. Dune 2 was out a full 2 years before Warcraft 1.

    @Fury said: It's like saying Word Coach isn't a ripoff of Brain Training, even though they're both exactly the same and both give you a brain age. But you could classify them both as "Brain Training Genre" and suddenly it's not a ripoff. But it still is.

    Your loyalty to TellTale is blinding you to the fact it's a ripoff. It should still be awesome, but they're 90% identical.

    Storyline and art style are the key differences. Saying it's a ripoff for using similar/the same gameplay style is like saying Davinci's paintings were ripoffs because he didn't invent painting. Games aren't about the interface you're using or the mechanics behind the gameplay, they're about the game design and the art style. These things are vastly separate from each other.

  • Sorry Ive never played Professor Layton so can someone tell me why puzzle agent keeps getting compared to it.

Add Comment