User Avatar Image

No, no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

posted by Megaace on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

I am still on shock. I love Telltale and I have bought all their games because it is the only company devoted to graphic adventures. Now I read these news about a Back to the Future and (gulp!) Jurassic Park games... Why oh why? Telltale has sold to the enemy and now they are going to make action or, even worse... "action adventures".
Does the world need more "action adventures"? No sir. Does the world need more Hollywood-licensed games? Noooo sir. Does the world need more "interactive cinematic movies". Oh, noooo....

Less time, less money and less resources to make good graphic adventures...
Telltale has sold to Hollywood. Now I am depressed... I am going to drink a full bottle of whisky right now... :(

172 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Okay, I have no interest in either of the new games. In fact, I laughed when I found out they were really making them, and I probably won't buy them. That doesn't mean I think it's wrong for Telltale to make them. Even if they do turn out to be "action-adventure" games or whatever, why worry about it? It doesn't necessarily mean they'll never make another graphic adventure game. As long as they keep making games I want to buy, I don't see why they can't make a few that I don't.

• Telltale should be trying to do more than just standard adventure games

Why? They are special for it. A lot of people love them for it. They have sold 5 millons of chapters because they are "standard adventures". If they do action adventure games they suddenly are a one-more company of hundreds.
    This step from Telltale is not new, look at Tim Schaffer with his Brutal Legend, it is a good action adventure game with a story and for what I know, It hasn't sold too well, it was 50% off on my country a month after the release... It is very difficult to compete in the action adventure market.

• @Megaace said: Well, please, read the press release: "The agreement broadens Telltale's product offerings into new genres and new styles of gameplay"

As I say, they have sold to the enemy, that is, action or action adventures games... I don't need a "hollywood-licensed action adventure game", thanks...

The phrases you've emphasized might mean that their upcoming projects won't fall under every definition of "adventure game" held by any given person on the internet, but I suspect that, like everything else Telltale has done, it will be a story/character driven experience, which is what an adventure game comes down to in my eyes.

Regarding the notion that Telltale has somehow betrayed their original vision:

You may be a little off the mark in having us aimed at adventure games. We're not really trying to do that, exactly, we just have a lot of experience making adventure games, and are bringing the things that we learned about storytelling in games from that to bear on the kinds of things we're doing. So we're actually willing to bend away from that and do other kinds of gameplay, as long as we keep the story stuff in focus.

- Dave Grossman, 2006 interview

@Megaace said:
    This step from Telltale is not new, look at Tim Schaffer with his Brutal Legend, it is a good action adventure game with a story and for what I know, It hasn't sold too well, it was 50% off on my country a month after the release... It is very difficult to compete in the action adventure market.

So which is it? Are Telltale sellouts for potentially moving into territory you don't approve of, or are they committing financial suicide by entering a supposedly saturated market? Or are you just pretending to be concerned with the financial viability of their endeavors in an effort to bolster your point, even though it's not one that makes any particular sense?

• I don't think that new genres automatically means action adventure. I mean, Puzzle Agent is supposed to be a different genre (puzzle adventure like Professor Layton) and definitely looks like a different style of gameplay (brain teaser puzzles instead of combination puzzles), but it's still similar to a traditional adventure game. I think it's much too soon to jump to conclusions.

• I think it'd be great if Universal let Telltale reach into their pockets a little bit and develop an action/adventure engine, similar to the kind used in games like Uncharted. I'm sure at best there will just be some action-y sequences in the games, since I doubt they're going to be building new tools from the ground up for the games, but I am not wholly against Telltale reaching into the action-adventure genre, as I think they'd still be able to pull off very nice high quality games with great stories.

• The first thing I thought of when I heard "Telltale Jurassic Park game" was the survival mechanics that they tried in an early version of The Dig. I could see the point of the game being avoiding the dinosaurs if you have no means of fighting back.

• @wefeelgroove said: The first thing I thought of when I heard "Telltale Jurassic Park game" was the survival mechanics that they tried in an early version of The Dig. I could see the point of the game being avoiding the dinosaurs if you have no means of fighting back.

Good call on The Dig as a possible inspiration to look to in tackling a Jurassic Park game. The kinship isn't completely obvious, but it's definitely there the more I ruminate.

• @Lena_P said: Okay, I have no interest in either of the new games. In fact, I laughed when I found out they were really making them, and I probably won't buy them. That doesn't mean I think it's wrong for Telltale to make them. Even if they do turn out to be "action-adventure" games or whatever, why worry about it? It doesn't necessarily mean they'll never make another graphic adventure game. As long as they keep making games I want to buy, I don't see why they can't make a few that I don't.

Seriously what was the point of that?

• ...who's the ENEMY? Why are you HATING Hollywood? It had been a hog by itself, I know, but people did produce some good things by using Hollywood's sources, and now you're saying because they wanted to draw a new path to two of its childs that have a huge fanbase, oh, okay, now they're sold.

[edit: not helpful - jp-30]

And they can make action-adventures. I wouldn't mind playing another Psychonauts, you know, only better, that has the awesome theme of Back to the Future and stuff...

• @Lena_P said: As long as they keep making games I want to buy, I don't see why they can't make a few that I don't.

That's the key point, though. Once The Devil's Playhouse is finished, the future's not looking good.

Add Comment