User Avatar Image

Official request for multilanguage versions of Jurassic Park And Back to Future games

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

That's a request for multilanguage versions episode of the future TT games: Jurassic Park and Back to Future.
It would be really appreciated if the translated episodes could be published along te english ones when they come out.
Thanks.

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @LASD said: If most games were localised, I probably wouldn't know even half as much English as I do.

Has anything (besides maybe Buzz) ever been localized to Finnish?

• [quote=trenchfoot;321191]will the dinos roar in english, right? :p[/quote]

El ROAAARO!

• @Tor said: I don't see anything wrong with offering the episodes with translated subtitles as an option, as long as it doesn't make the episodes a lot more expensive to create.

And i'll pay some (little) extra cash to have my translated version in a reasonable time (subtitles can be enough). I think the increase of sales due to a wider foreign audience could not only cover the expenses but also incrase the earnings.

But from this perspective TT is completely dumb.

The Deadalic Wallace&Gromit agreement seems just plain wrong... a 2 years old game, without Digital Delivery, and that costs the double of its original price... come on!!!!

To have some profit, episodes have to be translated right during the season, or maybe right at the end of it! Deadalic can be a partner through the translation to leave developers making games; but they have to be quick! After 2 years the hype, the ads (review, previews, specials, ect.) and the gamer's interest are gone far away...

TT messed up also Tales... It's almost an year now without any answer about foreign language versions; many foreign people know that there's a new Monkey Island and wait for a translation.... but if the distributor acts like the S&M Season 2 it will probably never come - see the spanish Atari manoeuvre.

It seems to me that TT prefer to concentrate themself on selling Cups&Buttons on their store, instead of publishing through Digital Delivering any multilanguage material (even the old Sam&Max season 1 is available only in english on the TT Store, even if several different language versions were published all over the world!)

My Dream:
    penal.jpg

I love TT. I've bought every game they made. But I did so just because I know a little English.

All the foreign potential customers are left alone.
    After all these years it seems a well-undestood TT way to act.
    The question is: why?

PS: Microsoft will save us all...

• @Bloody Eugene said: But from this perspective TT is completely dumb.

They've thought about it, actually. It's just not practical/easy/possible at this time.

@Bloody Eugene said: My Dream:
    penal.jpg

Even excluding the missing tilde, it should be "Espanol", not "Espana" (that's the country).

• Español, you mean?

I only know how to do that on a mac, do not ask me how on PC's.

• @Avistew said: penal.jpg
    Even excluding the missing tilde, it should be "Espanol", not "Espana" (that's the country).

"When the wise man points at the moon, the idiot looks at the finger" - Confucius
    :rolleyes:

• @Bloody Eugene said: "When the wise man points at the moon, the idiot looks at the finger" - Confucius
    :rolleyes:

Right, because it's totally stupid to correct someone's use of a foreign language on a thread about translating stuff to other languages.

At the very least, it shows translation isn't as easy as you make it to be. Even when just naming the countries, you made a mistake like that when it doesn't take very long to check with an automated translator or something.

• Since I've actually done some serious translation, I feel I'm at least a little qualified to respond to this...

What I think people don't understand is that doing quality translation is HARD, and extremely time-consuming. There are tons of factors to consider: semantic, cultural, not to mention comedic for Telltale's stuff. Some things simply do not translate, and you have to try to come up with some sort of equivalent in another language. This usually leads to a lot of confused looks from readers, and tends to destroy any attempts at comedy. There's a reason all those adventure games being made in Germany have such unnatural English localizations. To really do it right, you have to find people who are close to native fluency in *both* languages they are translating, and are good writers in the one they are translating to. That is not easy to find.

All that said, it's certainly possible, just not at release. The problem is that there would likely be long delays, and a sub-par product (one month to translate and record an entire game of dialogue well is really pushing it). It seems pretty unlikely that you're going to get a fully localized game before months after release. Really, it's no more abandoning foreign fans than any game from Europe that takes a while to localize is abandoning English speaking fans.

Oh, and what exactly makes your request official? Just wondering.

• @Avistew said: Right, because it's totally stupid to correct someone's use of a foreign language on a thread about translating stuff to other languages.

It's not stupid, and I didn't mean any offence. Sorry. I was just saying that your focus was on the word error and not about the way the problem of tranlsation can be solved.;)

@Avistew said: At the very least, it shows translation isn't as easy as you make it to be. Even when just naming the countries, you made a mistake like that when it doesn't take very long to check with an automated translator or something.

I'm not a translator - and that's why I ask for translations! :D
    Maybe you don't need translations, but I do, as you see!

Do you imagine how much I lose playing TT games with my poor english?
    And I'm paying for them, and I play with my vocabulary on the desk and with my finger on the "Pause" key... and after a day of work.
    I do that just because I love TT games.
    And there are many people that play the games the way I do.

TT took expensive licenses for games like Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Monkey and Wallace&Gromit... but why the impossible part is about translations?????
    Do you really think it's just not practical/easy/possible at this time?
    I think that it's a too easy as answer...
    After 6 years of games and over 30 single episodes released they cannot say that it's just not practical/easy/possible to create a foreign market.

Their politic about it is vague... Why the Digital Delivery cannot be supported for foreign languages? Why do we have to wait till the "classic" (if not old) boxed version?

The answer: because Telltale messed all up about foreign marketing.

• @KuroShiro said: What I think people don't understand is that doing quality translation is HARD, and extremely time-consuming.

I can understand.
    But it's almost an year that TOMI is out. Still no words about IF, WHEN, and WHICH languages there will be in a *possible* localized version.
    Are they translating now? Only subtitles? In my language? When will it be available?
    Nobody knows. They just said in a 2009 forum post that they are aware of language requests. That's all.

It could even be ok if it takes an year to deliver a great multilanguage translation. But don't leave us in this endless wait. They can say "ITA/FRA/SPA/DE version available in 2011". It will be ok - so I'll take the game on 2011 - but at least I know that I've to wait.
    The lack of informations made fan groups creating unofficial-and-often-buggy subtitles, ruining all the market for a possible official translated version and lessening the value of the product.

The problem is that that TellTale doesn't tell anything. :D

Add Comment