User Avatar Image

Did Curse destroy Monkey Island?

posted by Ash735 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

Clearly there are a few people here that view Curse as the actual down point of the series, really laying into it, saying that the series would be better off dead than to have the Curse/Escape/Tales stories. Now, strong views, could be because of how they perceive the story or it could be something to do with the lack of Ron Gilbert being the main series runner once MI2 ended, but here's a coin flip thread, for anything that was done/explained in Curse, I'm going to take a look at why it was BAD and why it was GOOD. So let's get started:

THE BIG ONE: It was all a Dream/Curse??
BAD: In Monkey Island 1 and 2 we have many modern day references, as Monkey Island 2 progresses further into weirdness at the end we learn that LeChuck and Guybrush are brothers and are really kids at some amusement park, we're lead to believe that the series was actually in the head of a child with an over active imagination, as the credits roll we see Chuckie's eyes glow and somewhat resemble LeChuck facial features, but hey, this is just a cheeky nod to the gamer right? If we believe this route, then there would never be a Monkey Island 3, the idea is out, why would gamers want to play a game storyline they know is just the imagination of some kid, any threatening things in such story wouldn't matter anymore (which is odd seeing as Guybrush can Die in both Monkey Island 1 and 2). There were loads of book titles in the library that mention why Trilogies suck, etc so even though the idea was mentioned afterwards, Monkey Island 2 WAS meant to be the final story, the shock ending was meant to show the gamer that this amazing world they've been in for so long was actually just the dreams of a little boy.

GOOD: But wait, Chuckie's face turns into LeChuck as Guybrush and his parents walk away from him, and let's talk about Big Whoop, in the story, we already know that Four Crewmen and even LeChuck himself have seen Big Whoop and how terrible it is, yet here, in this odd tunnel, the crate is smashed, there is nothing in this crate except for a single E-Ticket, somethings not right here. Then we start seeing things from Melee Island and even the street from Melee Island itself, this is all getting weirder by the minute. Then comes the moment when Guybrush finally rips apart LeChuck, but wait, he's our Brother, our Kid Brother? And this Janitor appears telling us to get out? Then we get our weird ending, with the sinister glance from LeChuck to the player letting us know something is not right. And of course during the end credits we flash back to the Monkey Island universe where Elaine is waiting for Guybrush and comments that she hopes LeChucks hasn't put some kind of Curse on him and this is what Curse and essentially the rest of the series has built upon, has the rest of a series continued on from a throw away joke at the end of MI2, or was Guybrush really cursed and everything from waking up in the tunnels fake?

-- Coming Soon, LeChuck is a Cartoon Villain? The Four Map Pieces Explanation? An Amusement Park?? Continuity Problems? --

195 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dthoupis said: I did not claim that Curse destroyed MI. On the contrary it reboosted it.

I think I said the same thing above. Typical Guybrush is willing to ruin someones' life just to get his job done. Remember the cook and the rat? How about him stealing poor Wallys' monocle to get out of the island? Disturbing the dead for a piece of map? Stealing a dog for searching for a map piece to get his job done? Fooling the poor guy at Booty Island by blowing a ships horn just to change the flags? How about nailing a coffin seller into a coffin with no worry if anyone will find out or if he dies in the coffin? Or accusing Kate of being Guybrush and putting her into prison? Is our good Guybrush not such a good guy afterall?

• I don't understand your point, or what you're referring to in quoting yourself.

The title of the thread says "Did Curse destroy Monkey Island," and there are people who say that Ron Gilbert says that CMI got off track with the Guybrush+Elaine relationship, while I believe that it's Revenge's depiction of their relationship that doesn't fit, rather than CMI. The other recent posts besides yours discuss that debate, so I'm not sure what you're agreeing with. I'm also unsure what Guybrush being a jerk on a regular basis has to do with "reboost(ing) CMI."

I do understand and can agree with the idea that, in Revenge, Elaine may have been hurt by Guybrush's insensitivity, but that still doesn't sufficiently explain why she made him completely explain himself in the hole (and rather than interrupting him long enough to help, she only chastized him later,) didn't help him or stop LeChuck when he fell, or why Ron would say that she sees Guybrush more as a little brother when she might as well have said she loved him and wanted to have sex with him in the first game when she came to rescue him after being thrown off the dock. This doesn't sound little-brother-ish to me.

• In the second game she ditched him because she decided their relationship wasn't really going to work, and was angry about the business with the map back because it showed that she was right all along and he was more interested in his silly quests than in her. Nothing about this is inconsistent with the first game at all. She changed because sometimes fictional characters are allowed to, you know, develop.

Their relationship in curse is more or less consistent with the first game, yes. But the second game moved the characters and their relationship in a different direction, and if you do that it's bad storytelling to reset them to how they were before without giving any convincing motivation for them doing so. When the viewer is forced to come up with their own speculation to explain away inconsistencies in characterisation, the writers aren't doing a good job.

He spends days explaining his whole backstory while hanging from a rope because doing so is funny. And you're still taking the 'little brother' thing painfully literally.

• The thing is that Curse had a hard task of revamping the series and HAD to come up with a valid story for the ending of MI2. And as I said, Guybrush is shown in a complete different way in the first two games rather than the later. In reality he is more... evil... shall we say in the first two games while in the later two he is shown more naive and silly like. I especially did not like the way LeChuck was treated in Curse as a woos. But I do not think that Curse destroyed MI. And I agree with the above poster regarding everything.

• @MonkeyMania said: If anything, CMI saved Monkey Island.

I really, really do very much agree with this.

I would bet real money that, without CMI, there would only be 2 MI games made. Ever. I'm convinced that even if Ron did have an MI3 in mind (which I'm not sure I believe,) then he still would never have followed through with making it.

Consider that, even now, the last adult/family-oriented adventure game (ie. one not targeted for small kids) that Ron helped to make before Penny Arcade Adventures and DeathSpank (which isn't even out yet) was MI2 itself and that was 19 years ago. This says something to me about his intent (or lack thereof) to have ever followed up on MI2 with another sequel, even if CMI had never been made.

So I praise CMI both for continuing the series and for giving us Dominic and Earl.

• @Chyron8472 said: I would bet real money that, without CMI, there would only be 2 MI games made. Ever. I'm convinced that even if Ron did have an MI3 in mind (which I'm not sure I believe,) then he still would never have followed through with making it.

That's exactly what I wish had happened. MI2 should've been the end.

• @Barnabus said: That's exactly what I wish had happened. MI2 should've been the end.

Blasphemy, sir.

Then we wouldn't have Tales either, and without Tales I wouldn't have bothered to investigate Telltale long enough to ever buy episodic Sam & Max, yet now I have all 3 seasons of it.

Add Comment