User Avatar Image

New Genres? Intriguing...

posted by thom-22 on - last edited - Viewed by 975 users

The press release says, "The agreement broadens Telltale's product offerings into new genres and new styles of gameplay."

We clearly can't expect these just-announced titles to be the usual Telltale point-and-click fare. As much as I love their adventures games, I think branching out into new genres is great for Telltale. But I'd need to know more before I could say whether or not I'm interested.

On one hand, if I'm going to "be" in the Jurassic Park universe, I'd much rather have an action (or action-adventure) game than a straight-up adventure. But it ain't easy making successful, compelling action games. You can't just graft action elements onto an adventure game style -- you end up displeasing fans of both genres.

Or maybe it's something else entirely. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more details as they emerge.

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, it's "Telltale Games" after all, not "Telltale Adventure Games". As far as I'm concerned, they can do as they please. I'm realistic enough to know that not every game they create will appeal to me, be it through choice of graphics, subject matter, or type of gameplay.

• I hope this means they'll finally be accepting the ability to die in a game.

• Uhmmm... great... just what we need... "another" action-adventure game... Here's hoping that atleast they put some originality and twists to the overused action-adventure genre...

• @SubSidal said: Uhmmm... great... just what we need... "another" action-adventure game... Here's hoping that atleast they put some originality and twists to the overused action-adventure genre...

Every genre is "over-used". Do you realize how many hundreds of adventure games there are?

• I did a quick investgtion, there does not exist a humourless BTTF match three game, so that seems to be the new logical direction to me. Oh and of course dinosaur chess, you know with cinematic impressive motion captured fighting animations - the season dvd will capture how they fit into the rooms with audio commentry by the T-Rex and his friend Bronto.

Amongst others they licenced state of the art middleware like dunno beäst for great lightning also on low end machines and what not. Crytek here we come!

• @MusicallyInspired said: I hope this means they'll finally be accepting the ability to die in a game.

You do realize you can die in tomb of sammunmak right.

• It's astounding to me how people can so easily jump to conclusions without having any official news whatsoever beyond "experimenting with new genres and new types of gameplay."

@Gman5852 said: You do realize you can die in tomb of sammunmak right.

No. I haven't bought Season 3 yet. That is fantastic news :).

• @MusicallyInspired said: It's astounding to me how people can so easily jump to conclusions without having any official news whatsoever beyond "experimenting with new genres and new types of gameplay."

I don't think anyone here is jumping to conclusions, just speculating for the fun of it and talking about what we might like to see. :)

@MusicallyInspired said: Uhmmm... great... just what we need... "another" action-adventure game... Here's hoping that atleast they put some originality and twists to the overused action-adventure genre...

"Overused" is in the eye of the beholder, or rather the genre preferences of the gamer. Personally, I think there are too few high-quality third-person action-adventures. :p

@MusicallyInspired said: Quick-time events? Hmmm... I'm not really a fan of those.

I don't mind quick-time events, as long as they add something to the game actions and aren't meant to just punish players without mad button-mashing skillz. I never played Sleeping Dragon (loved the first two Broken Swords), the QTE in that video didn't look very forgiving. :eek:

• @thom-22 said: I don't think anyone here is jumping to conclusions, just speculating for the fun of it and talking about what we might like to see. :)

I was referring to the people who are complaining at the (unfounded) idea that TTG are suddenly detracting from the adventure genre altogether.

• When I think of JP as a semi-adventure game, I get flashes of Silent Hill in my mind, games which combine some AG elements with slight combat/escape sequences. Survival horror lends itself naturally to such a concept. Though I'd prefer something less generic.

Add Comment