User Avatar Image

Cucumbers Cut Lengthwise appreciation thread

posted by lu_ming on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

How could we ever forget to make an appreciation thread for the heart and soul of Moleman humour?:D

00005.jpg

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Klatuu said: What about pickles? They are cucumbers, and commonly cut lengthwise.

    Ooh, that reminds me of a debate between my husband and his roommate about whether "pickle" meant a pickled cucumber, or a pickled anything. My husband would insist that he could call "a pickle" anything that was pickled, while his roommate insisted that "a pickle" only meant the cucumber one.
    They would go on and on about it every time the subject came back. The could never convince each other.
    I say, just eat them!

    Incidentally, I pretty much only eat cornichons. Wikipedia tells me you call them gherkins.
    And really, you rarely cut these at all.

    @Klatuu said: Well, only for peaches and kiwi fruit. (And stuff that's been left in my fridge for too long.)

    I see what you did there :p

  • @Klatuu said: What about pickles? They are cucumbers, and commonly cut lengthwise.


    Only Satan and his minions cut their pickles lengthwise.

  • Yes, I enjoyed that running gag quite a bit actually. :)

    @Avistew said: Ooh, that reminds me of a debate between my husband and his roommate about whether "pickle" meant a pickled cucumber, or a pickled anything. My husband would insist that he could call "a pickle" anything that was pickled, while his roommate insisted that "a pickle" only meant the cucumber one.
    They would go on and on about it every time the subject came back. The could never convince each other.
    I say, just eat them!

    'A Pickle' means a pickled cucumber, specifically.


    If it's anything else, it will have a different name, most likely beginning with the word 'pickled.' [i.e. Pickled eggs, pickled lettuce ect.] is saurkraut pickled? I'm not sure, but if it is you wouldn't call it a pickle would you?

    Your husband is confused. :o

  • @Catfish33 said: 'A Pickle' means a pickled cucumber, specifically.

    If it's anything else, it will have a different name, most likely beginning with the word 'pickled.' [i.e. Pickled eggs, pickled lettuce ect.] is saurkraut pickled? I'm not sure, but if it is you wouldn't call it a pickle would you?

    Your husband is confused. :o

    My various jars of "mixed pickles" (including some that don't have ANY cucumbers in them) seem to disagree with you :p

    EDIT: here, from wikipedia:

    Pickles may refer to

    * A pickled cucumber, the food most commonly referred to as a pickle in the U.S. and Canada
    * A pickled onion, the food most commonly referred to as a pickle in the UK
    * Other vegetables that have been pickled

  • @Avistew said: My various jars of "mixed pickles" (including some that don't have ANY cucumbers in them) seem to disagree with you :p

    EDIT: here, from wikipedia:

    Hmmm when I see a pickled onion I think "Hey a pickled onion" NOT "Hey a pickle."


    Whoever wrote the wiki is INSANE.

    ok I'm kidding although, I can't speak for the uk or canada, but here in the states if someone called a pickled onion, a 'pickle,' they would get a very funny look. Or a pickled carrot a 'pickle' ect ect

  • I think technically they're all pickles, but when you just say "a pickle", people will assume the cucumber one. So you need to specify if you want to be sure the person understands what you mean (say, pickled carrots, or pickled baby corn or something). Still, really, it means both and either.

    I know that we have pickled wild cucumber right now, and while it's a cucumber, it's not the same type that's usually pickled so even for that the jar specifies "pickled wild cucumber" and not just "pickles".

  • Anyhow, the point we all know is that cucumbers cut lengthwise are the Devil's favourite food, and angels eat cucumbers cut sidewise.

  • My husband cuts bananas peels lengthwise.
    He says it's a chef thing.

  • @Avistew said: My husband cuts bananas peels lengthwise.
    He says it's a chef thing.

    bananas are different because they're a herb.

  • @The Highway said: bananas are different because they're a herb.

    What?! You pronounce the H in herb? Man, I was sure you didn't!
    ... Wasn't it "hour, heir, honest and herb"?

    I'm totally confused now.

This discussion has been closed.