User Avatar Image

Cucumbers Cut Lengthwise appreciation thread

posted by lu_ming on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

How could we ever forget to make an appreciation thread for the heart and soul of Moleman humour?:D

00005.jpg

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I only say "zed", except for ZZTop. I was taught the singing alphabet with "zed" in it so I'm not sure why you'd need to change it for that.

I don't get the "I just say z". Do you say "zzzz", without any vowel? That sounds like a weird way to say it.

• @Avistew said: I only say "zed", except for ZZTop. I was taught the singing alphabet with "zed" in it so I'm not sure why you'd need to change it for that.

I don't get the "I just say z". Do you say "zzzz", without any vowel? That sounds like a weird way to say it.

I say Zee. Better?

• @lu_ming said: I pronounce "H" as "aytch" and "z" as "zed".

Same. All of the smarter people I know pronounce these letters this way.

• @Hayden said: Same. All of the smarter people I know pronounce these letters this way.

R u speeking dat eye iz nought smart?

• @The Highway said: Also, i didn't use them as "scare quotes".

@The Highway said: Scare quotes is a term for a particular use of quotation marks. In this application, quotation marks are placed around a single word or phrase to indicate that the word or phrase does not signify its literal or conventional meaning.

If you weren't using them that way, then what were you trying to imply by putting the word Australian in quotes?

And I say zee when it's part of a name. A name is a name.

• I say zee or zed depending on what the people around me think I pronounce it:
    If they think zee I say zed
    and vise-versa.

Also aitch

• DD: Lol... The cucumber... Is Cut lengthwise! MADNESS!

• I have no clue if I pronounce the H in "H" or not. I've been told I sometimes add H sounds to random words that start with a vowel or forget them when they should be pronounced. I'm going to say I'm inconsistent on whether I say "haytsh" or "aytsh".
    French is "ash", incidentally. And "zed" for Z.

• I generally think of French speakers as pronouncing "H" as inbetween. You kind of have that aspirant/sighing at the beginning while English speakers will pronounce it as "aitch" with the first sound like the "a" in "ate" or an "h" sound like in "hate". That might be why some people hear you saying an extra "h" while others don't; they have different sensitivities to it. Like I know a British man who complains about younger people saying "wif" or "wiv" instead of "with", and yet he does it himself constantly. He just doesn't hear it when he does it.

• cucumbers are a gourd they are in the same family as pumpkins and zukes technically it is a vegetable because of this reason same with pumpkins also a vegetable because the seeds are soft not hard fruits have to have hard seeds or they land in this catagory.

This discussion has been closed.