User Avatar Image

Your Opinion on Kinect for Xbox 360

posted by plrichard on - last edited - Viewed by 379 users

Well, Microsoft's Press Conference just wrapped up on Spike TV (not G4 surprisingly) and I want to see what the people around here think about Kinect for Xbox 360.

Basically, what my view of it is is that it looks like it would be great to have, but it might be too pricey (I don't think they've announced a price, but I expect it to be high).

I'll mention the games that they showcased and comment on each.

Kinectimals:
Virtual petting zoo, stupid.

Kinect Sports:
Some of them looked cool, but bowling and table tennis without holding anything is kind of annoying to me.

Kinect Adventures:
In my opinion looks pretty awesome, it's like a virtual obstacle course, but I don't think it's enough to buy the peripheral for.

Kinect Joy Ride:
Basically just an attempt to dethrone Mario Kart as the best racing title. However, such as with Kinect Sports, driving without holding a steering wheel is just an annoying concept to me.

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved:
Looks pretty awesome, but is basically just a souped up Wii-Fit. Another example of a "hey that'd be cool to have but I don't know if I would pay a lot of money just for that game."

Dance Central:
Nice concept, could be pretty fun, but again, doesn't make me feel like I need to have Kinect.

And then, finally, the one game that gives hope to Kinect in my eyes.
An unnamed LucasArts game that showed a Jedi walking down a street of what look like Naboo, wielding force powers and a lightsaber all used by "controller-less gameplay." The trailer ended with the Jedi re-activating his lightsaber as Darth Vader stepped out of a ship onto the street.

So, everyone, start discussing Kinect for Xbox 360.

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @plrichard said: I don't understand saying that it's fake. It's not fake, it was just a trailer not a demonstration, it's not coming out until 2011, I wouldn't expect them to have a working build yet.

They put a person on the stage in front of the camera. This was not a person in the video, where trickery would be expected. This is some active deception on their part, because there wasn't any disclaimer that it was a trailer. At the very least, it's somewhat misleading.

• I don't have an xbox360, but I'm curious, how much will they be selling it for?

• @jeeno0142 said: I don't have an xbox360, but I'm curious, how much will they be selling it for?

The new 360 model will be selling for $299. Kinect doesn't have a solid price point announced, though Gamestop had a "leaked" product page that set it at $150. This may have been a mistake, though.

• @Rather Dashing said: The new 360 model will be selling for $299. Kinect doesn't have a solid price point announced, though Gamespot had a "leaked" product page that set it at $150. This may have been a mistake, though.

Thanks! That's not as much as I was expecting it to cost. As you say that could be a mistake though. The new Xbox seems about the price I would expect though, just a little higher than an Elite.

• I don't see whats so innovative about it. Webcams? i can do that on my laptop. Using my hands to control games? If i wanted to, i could do that with eyetoy. Plus it's alot less responsive than using a controller (anyone remember mario kart, how everyone was claiming it was far better to use the GC controller?) I really dislike motion controls (my main gripe with the wii, not the lack of HD, or the lack of decent games (their are enough, just very hidden, and scattered),), and just going motion only seems horrible to me.

Plus i'm not sure how it'll actually work with actual games. Using the controller aswell? Seems kinda pointless.

Also:
    Kinect Sports=Wii sports plus a few extras
    Kinectimals=eyepet with some extra animals
    Strange Fitness programme=Wiifit in disguise

• @jeeno0142 said: Thanks! That's not as much as I was expecting it to cost.

A friend of mine acually hough it would cos $50,000(doesnt get pricing too well)

• @Gman5852 said: A friend of mine acually hough it would cos $50,000(doesnt get pricing too well)

That's £33,916.82! I'm thinking that would be a tiny bit extravagent...

I was thinking more in the region of $235.87. I know that seems like a bit of an odd figure, but I'm using an online currency convertor. (I converted £160).

• I personally disliked the whole Natal thing from the start. Like, I thought technology-wise it was neat and all, but I saw more flaws that uses and it ended up feeling gimmicky.
    It excludes a lot of people (people with disabilities/health problems, people who are not fit) from playing some games altogether, often for games that wouldn't really require it to begin with. And for games that do require it, it feels to me, you don't need the video game to begin with. Go play ball in the park and jump over benches.
    I can see it as useful for training for athletes and things like that. Otherwise it kind of crosses the line for me. The Wii requires you to move, enough for you to get active when that's the point, but not enough that you have to stop playing after a few minutes.

I think it's cool as a concept, but I just can't see much use for it, if I'm making sense there.

• Being IT student, Kinect is certainly interesting from that point of view.
    However from what I saw of it in these videos it looks like it's not yet ready for using in games. The on-screen avatars look broken sometimes.

And on top of that, (almost) every game they showed is a Wii rip-off, which is really low. MS could do something great with this thing if they just invested more dev time into it, but instead they just did "lol we can motion controls too". That's disappointing.

• @Rather Dashing said: They put a person on the stage in front of the camera. This was not a person in the video, where trickery would be expected. This is some active deception on their part, because there wasn't any disclaimer that it was a trailer. At the very least, it's somewhat misleading.

Oh, well where I was watching it, it was a full screen shot of the trailer and there was no man standing there. I thought the video that was posted was an alternate thing.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the video that was posted saying it was fake, that was not what was shown at the press conference, the stages look completely different. http://www.gametrailers.com/e3/livefeed/microsoft
    That's the full press conference, the LucasArts talk starts at about 1:51:00.

Add Comment