User Avatar Image

Sam & Max's Relationship

posted by Player_2 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

There's kind of an interesting dynamic between the two of them.

I'm not saying that Steve was intentionally going for anything deeper than just creating a funny story based on a dog and a rabbit who fight crime; but hardcore fans like myself can't help but obsess over our favourite characters, analyzing their psychological profiles and whatnot. (I like the word whatnot.)

So, discuss and share your insights.

156 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lena_P said: Are you talking about "Shaun of the Dead" or Sam and Max? :confused:

I was referring to extremeness of the friendship between Sam & Max, or the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost characters in either film, as being funny in its intensity, but also real.

• I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm usually fine with most crack parings, but I get really upset when people try to make Sam and Max look like a gay couple outside of gags. It just undermines the bros-for-life relationship that they have and I love. Because bros-for-life are awesome.

• @Kane Oh, I get you now. I never thought of it like that before. Makes Max kind of sound like a volcano god that must be satiated lest he erupt into violence! :p

@Jake Okay, the "it seems funny and it is, but it's not" thing just totally threw me. I couldn't tell if you meant the film is funny, but the relationship wasn't, or that both couples seem to have a homosexual attraction to one another, but they don't really.

• yap it deeper the relationship between sam and max is to protect the all of time and space episode 3 profess this when sam in-stinks to reignition waif max to save him shelf and the rest of all exist-ons

• All these posts, and I still can't decipher what kane is saying half the time. :(

• sam and max need each ever and time and spas need them to giver

• @kane said: sam and max need each ever and time and spas need them to giver

Sam and Max need each other and time and space need them together.

I see them as having a childhood friends relationship, or a very close friends relationship. I think a lot of people tend to mix "super close friends" and "in a romantic relationship" because ideally your spouse also is a very close friend. But here I only see the "close friends" thing.
    I personally always have some trouble with the "childhood friends who end up together" concept that often pops up either as canon or as fanstuff, because the people I know who actually are childhood friends all consider each other family, often referring to each other as "my cousin" or "my brother/sister" because that's how it feels for them.
    Not saying childhood friends never end up together, just that the idea is overused in my opinion. If two characters are childhood friends, I'll see it as a reason for them NOT to end up together as a couple, unless they had that kind of relationship from the start or something.

Anyways, I'm not sure what else there is to say. They're friends, they know each other very well and they care about each other a lot.

• 302 had at least two gay refrences about them. I'm sure its nothing more then a joke, but it makes you wonder...

• @Ophenix said: 302 had at least two gay refrences about them. I'm sure its nothing more then a joke, but it makes you wonder...

>:(

This discussion has been closed.