User Avatar Image

Sam & Max's Relationship

posted by Player_2 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.0K users

There's kind of an interesting dynamic between the two of them.

I'm not saying that Steve was intentionally going for anything deeper than just creating a funny story based on a dog and a rabbit who fight crime; but hardcore fans like myself can't help but obsess over our favourite characters, analyzing their psychological profiles and whatnot. (I like the word whatnot.)

So, discuss and share your insights.

156 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ophenix said: 302 had at least two gay refrences about them. I'm sure its nothing more then a joke, but it makes you wonder...

Sibyl's dating computer matched them in 105 too, but whatever.

• What references? Sam and Max barely show up in 302 :confused:

And like Avistew said, people who are raised together from a young age are less likely to become sexually attracted to one another. It's called the Westermarck effect. Sam and Max have apparently known each other from the time they were very young, so I'm guessing it's just a bosom buddies kind of a thing. I don't think either of them has nearly enough emotional maturity to have a romantic or sexual relationship.

I think that's one of the things that makes them so charming, in spite of the wanton violence. They act a lot like kids, and there's this quality that they're just "playing" at being detectives. Max is a psychopath, but he's also naive and super cheerful. Sam is a little more aware of how to deal with people, but he's still pretty self-centered himself. Sort of like how a small child can empathize with others, but not necessarily sympathize. They'll understand from your voice and body language that you're sad, but they might not be able to understand why.

• Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• It's a while since I played it, but in 204 Momma Bosco says something along the lines of Sam and Max being romantically involved. The time machine lift starts saying "Timestream alt...", but Sam interrupts with an angry "Shut up! It's not like that!" If the timestream has to be altered for Sam and Max to be romantic partners, then I'd say it's pretty unlikely they're more than best friends.

• @Jake said: Sibyl's dating computer matched them in 105 too, but whatever.

That's the most convincing evidence against them being a romantic couple, I think. :D

• ... Jake, did you say 105? 105, you're sure? Not 104?

• It's 104, on 105 she was just a gametester, on 104 she had dating services.

• Am I the only one that wishes that threads like this didn't exist?

This discussion has been closed.