User Avatar Image

Voice Acting?

posted by diewernerbrueder on - last edited - Viewed by 309 users

Will there be any voice acting in the game? There doesn't seem to be any in the Grickle videos and the shots we have seen so far from the game doesn't seem to have any audible speech. I will probably still get it even if it doesn't have, but I'd just like to know for sure.

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, but if he's a slightly paranoid and fearful guy in a town of slightly paranoid and fearful people he won't really stand out. And Charlie Chaplin actually had a beautiful speaking voice; I wish he could have made more talkies! :p Even Lon Chaney was amazing in his last film, "The Unholy Three". It's one of the reasons I like the talkie version better, along with Harry Earls great performance. His German accent makes him really hard to understand, but he's got a fantastic delivery at the same time.

Anyway, a "silent" game would have been really interesting to play, but the voices do work, thankfully.

• I feel like Ginny. The voice sounds perfect to me.

• All of the voice acting in the trailer sounded wonderful to me.

• I originally didn't want voice acting, but this trailer has changed my mind. The voice is pretty spot on, I'm glad it isn't dull. Can't wait.

• @Lena_P said: Yeah, but if he's a slightly paranoid and fearful guy in a town of slightly paranoid and fearful people he won't really stand out. And Charlie Chaplin actually had a beautiful speaking voice; I wish he could have made more talkies! :p Even Lon Chaney was amazing in his last film, "The Unholy Three". It's one of the reasons I like the talkie version better, along with Harry Earls great performance. His German accent makes him really hard to understand, but he's got a fantastic delivery at the same time.

Anyway, a "silent" game would have been really interesting to play, but the voices do work, thankfully.

I wouldn't say so, the videos work just perfectly fine, so do Chaplin's movies or Bean's sketches. It's just a different art form and game design which personally i would have prefered, although i can understand that it's probably safer and attracts more people if done as a talkie version. But when you're doing a talkie, then i have to say that the voice from the trailer doesn't suit the character, in a way i undertstand/enjoy/want him to be.

You know there more important things in life to me so whatever but i also have to say that this instantly annoyed me and looking back at some Grickle videos, i definately would prefer it beeing more like the videos.

Maybe like a beautiful woman who amazes you, until, until she starts talking with a unsuitable voice - and i'm not valueing what she says, yet!

• I'm sure you can turn the voices off if they really bother you though. In which case you could play it as the "silent" game you seem to want, and people who prefer voices can opt for voices. It seems like the more comprehensive option.

• I really do agree with Ginny and Avistew too. Nelson's voice is excellent. It has character, it's not annoying or unrealistic. It makes the character become a bit more real and human. Which is good - the creepiness and atmosphere comes from the mix of realism and the obscure. And MADNESS.

• I suspect this only works satisfying to a certain degree as mostly this means the design must take this into account as well and i doubt that they considered this but i wouldn't mind beeing proven wrong here.

• @Avistew said: I'm sure you can turn the voices off if they really bother you though. In which case you could play it as the "silent" game you seem to want, and people who prefer voices can opt for voices. It seems like the more comprehensive option.

That would work best if the game treated the inevitable screams as sound effects instead of as voices. You'd still have the screams then even if you turned voices off :)

• Subtitles plus such sfx could be an option but i doubt that the speech will be split in two layers.

Add Comment