User Avatar Image

Sam & Max's Relationship

posted by Player_2 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

There's kind of an interesting dynamic between the two of them.

I'm not saying that Steve was intentionally going for anything deeper than just creating a funny story based on a dog and a rabbit who fight crime; but hardcore fans like myself can't help but obsess over our favourite characters, analyzing their psychological profiles and whatnot. (I like the word whatnot.)

So, discuss and share your insights.

156 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What's sad is that this is one of the more engaging threads on this board right now. I miss the intellectual threads from when Tales was running.

• @GuruGuru214 said: What's sad is that this is one of the more engaging threads on this board right now. I miss the intellectual threads from when Tales was running.

I agree. Strongly. That's actually half the reason that I want to see a second season in the near future, because I loved reading and participating in the discussion that went on. Sam & Max really doesn't provide much intelligent discussion.

• You realise this thread is about their relationship, not about whether or not they're in love with each other? A lot of people seem to have not noticed the difference.

Or do you just have a problem with analysis of fictional characters?

@Gman5852 said: You must remember though while in the animated series, they were brothers I think(I remember they talked about buring their dads [line]briefcase[/line] beaver and burying it in the back yard.
    Max just said "dad's". He may have been referring to his dad. Speaking of that episode, the flashback where Max makes eggnog in Sam's grandfather's helmet seemed really out of character to me. I guess they were parodying something, but I thought Sam and Max were closer than that.

I love Sam and Max's relationship and will probably have more to say later, but I wanted to say this stuff now.

• The thread may have started out about their relationship, but it immediately derailed into the romantic definition of relationship with the second post and never went back, and everyone either didn't realize or was content to go with it until you pointed it out.

I really like the dynamic they have between them. They sort of balance each other out into something that almost resembles sanity.

• What? The majority of posts have been about how they're not a couple or even likely to ever have a romantic/sexual relationship. Yes we've been discussing how they need each other emotionally, but you do not draw strength and companionship from romantic relationships alone.

• [quote]The thread may have started out about their relationship, but it immediately derailed into the romantic definition of relationship with the second post and never went back, and everyone either didn't realize or was content to go with it until you pointed it out.[/quote]
    If you think that, you really weren't paying attention.

I think it's kind of funny that most of the people who brought up the romantic definition did that to talk about how wrong that was. Why even mention it?

• Yeah, I just checked back and only one person suggested they could be gay. So ... yeah.

@Shwoo It seems like whenever two male characters are close and don't have a love interest people immediately assume they're gay. Women can be close friends no problem though. I think it's kind of based on that stereotype that all men are horny idiots who can barely contain their libido, so if they don't chase after chicks there must be something wrong with them. Women, on the other hand, never have sex drives unless they're tongue-tied in front of their "crush" or it's a story made by women for women. At which point they become horny idiots :p

• Okay, apparently I implied that you were implying something and thus read the thread wrong when I went back and re-read it. But really, I'm not sure what other way to take this:

@Shwoo said: You realise this thread is about their relationship, not about whether or not they're in love with each other? A lot of people seem to have not noticed the difference.

So...I dunno. I guess I just missed your point entirely.

• Just Like Bert & Earnie I bet they share the same bed (and fyi theres nothing wrong with being gay), Bugs bunny wasnt afraid to dress in drag .. I think Max should try it out lol

• To be really really really REALLY fair, I cannot and I just cannot think of them as gay. Just as very VERY good friends, maybe because I can somewhat proyect some of my own problems in them, so, I guess I can understand their childish impulses. I like the Gay Jokes, but I like them just like they are: Jokes. Nothing else.

And I guess Sam and Max fans do have sense of humor

This discussion has been closed.