User Avatar Image

Sam & Max's Relationship

posted by Player_2 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

There's kind of an interesting dynamic between the two of them.

I'm not saying that Steve was intentionally going for anything deeper than just creating a funny story based on a dog and a rabbit who fight crime; but hardcore fans like myself can't help but obsess over our favourite characters, analyzing their psychological profiles and whatnot. (I like the word whatnot.)

So, discuss and share your insights.

156 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I dont think of them as anythingsexual not towards men women each other ect I think they just like doing mayhem and thats it

• The only thing that makes a gay couple a gay couple is lovemaking and romance. You can live together, go everywhere together, even sleep in the same bed, but if there's no sparks there other than platonic friendship, then they're not gay.

No matter what any cake says.

• @tredlow said: No matter what any cake says.

I love that cake ^^!

• @tredlow said: The only thing that makes a gay couple a gay couple is lovemaking and romance. You can live together, go everywhere together, even sleep in the same bed, but if there's no sparks there other than platonic friendship, then they're not gay.

No matter what any cake says.

thats gona be my wedding cake if i ever meet a max

• When you go over the series - play the games, watch the cartoon, read the comics, whatever - you sort of see that the basis of their relationship is caring. They want to protect each other.

They like each other because they're both basically soul mates; I think that Sybil was right about that, even though she was obviously just making it up at the time. (And I don't mean that they're in love with each other. Although I guess that's a possibility. :D)

As long as they have the other to hang out with, then they can feel safe with themselves; if Max is around, Sam knows that he's like him, so it's okay if he's kind of crazy, and vice versa. So if they're not together, then they feel unwhole, since they fit together so well and that confirmation that they're actually okay is gone. The loneliness that comes from it makes them completely inseperable, since they don't want to feel that.

So they want to watch out for each other. They both sort of take on the responsibility for the other, to make sure that they're okay. Basically, they don't care what happens to people or places around them, as long as their friend's still doing fine. So, for example, for Sam, he doesn't care what's going on as long as his little buddy's still there. It's pretty much the same for Max.

They do this both literally and metaphorically. If someone's trying to hurt Max, Sam snaps, and will do whatever he can to protect him. We haven't really seen it the other way around, but we can assume that Max would do the same for him.

But they also take on the role of caretaker for the other, although this might be more subconsciously. Sam is pretty nuts, too, but manages to stay calmer than Max because he kind of feels like he has to set a good example for Max, since Max never really grew up. He's still pretty immature and naive. It's like when parents are careful not to swear in front of children.

That's how Max influences Sam. Sam can be pretty out of control, too, but as long as Max is there to reign him back in, then Sam can maintain a pretense of stability. His presence reminds Sam, "How can you set a good example for me if you lose it? How can you take care of me if you're acting like that?"

And I'm gonna stop now, even though I feel like I have more to say, since I've been going on waaaaaay too long and I wanna stop rambling. :o

• I men inseparable fenders no more no less
    and time and space is afraid of a samless max

• @Player_2 said: They do this both literally and metaphorically. If someone's trying to hurt Max, Sam snaps, and will do whatever he can to protect him. We haven't really seen it the other way around, but we can assume that Max would do the same for him.

In 205 he kills dick peacock because he took over max's role as sam's partner uif that is enough evidence.

• @tredlow said: The only thing that makes a gay couple a gay couple is lovemaking and romance.

eh, I wouldn't exactly say this is the definite case. I know some couples who love each other greatly, but just aren't interested in sex. I also know some couples who admit to like kissing more than sex and therefore do the prior instead of the latter. That said, they love each other in a romantic way and not platonicly.

• I am so going to write a FanFic about the two of them and Jorgen...

• @Lena_P said: @Shwoo It seems like whenever two male characters are close and don't have a love interest people immediately assume they're gay. Women can be close friends no problem though.

Don't forget the male+female combo. It's a well known fact that a male and female can't be "just" friends, there has to be more to it, the characters are just too scared of damaging their friendship, or lying to themselves, or something.

This discussion has been closed.