36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I know the graphics are supposed to be simple, but they seem too simple in my opinion, and they don't really cater for a memorable and engaging atmosphere. Not that I've played the game yet, or seen all the scenes. At any rate, adventure puzzle games like the Professor Layton series really capture and engross you in its world because it looks good - but it's still very simple. The characters don't really move at all.

Detailed backgrounds would've been nice. Or a bit more detailing for buildings and items, but I guess "really simple" was the production motto. It'll be fun no matter what.

• I absolutely love the Grickle art style used in the game. And I love that even though it looks like a traditional 2D adventure game at first glance, it still has all of the cinematic camera angles and choreography we've come to expect from Telltale. I'm really looking forward to it.

• @Avistew said: I'm curious how the abbreviation into "Xmas" came about, now.

It's the work of those secular blasphemers!

With Christmas being such a popular holiday, the secular world wanted to fully enjoy it as a holiday - without Christ, mind you. Santa, snow, lights, presents, cookies, etc., however, are retained.

Pun intended: Xmas is Christmas without Christ.

Nah, that's too simple and convenient an explanation. X has been used instead of Christ throughout history. The secular world, including me, has adapted the word "Xmas" for their very own "Christ"mas though. I choose to ignore the Christian origin of the X :p

• @Lead Eater You do realize that the backgrounds in Puzzle Agent aren't just static backgrounds like in Layton, right? The characters in Puzzle Agent actually move around a fully 3D world so there could possibly be movement and interaction with the world outside of cutscenes! (Yes the Layton sprites kind of jiggle in place, but I don't consider that the same thing as, say, actually walking across an environment.)

At the same time Layton is set in a quaint "Europe" while Puzzle Agent is in the Northern Reaches of Minnesota. I'd say it's a fairly accurate portrayal of a small, Midwestern town. I especially love the Quonset hut diner :p

• I for one find the game is very atmospheric. Sure the design is simple but it really works, in my opinion, and I'm not a Grickle fan or anything.

• Interesting video, so it's plane driven.

• I thought Tethers gets around on a snowmobile? Okay, seriously, what does "plane driven" mean?

• @Lead Eater said: Detailed backgrounds would've been nice. Or a bit more detailing for buildings and items, but I guess "really simple" was the production motto. It'll be fun no matter what.

I think the production motto was "Excelent craft".

I'm really serious when I say I would love to be able to draw that good.

• @Lena_P said: I thought Tethers gets around on a snowmobile? Okay, seriously, what does "plane driven" mean?

It means Taumel likes assuming, and declarative statements.

Also, again with the ridiculous thread derailment, guys. It's not cool.

• @Lena_P
    I always was wondering how TTG would implement the Grickle look, a) will it be real 3D (a 3D scene with 3D character models and some sort of custom outline shader), b) will it be 3D but instead of 3D models using planes (two combined triangles, so a rectangle, billboards if oriented at the player) where you project the graphics/animations textures on, or c) will it be planes in 2D space like you implement GUIs for instance or d) some sort of combination like mixing 2D and 3D elements where it suits.

From the video it seems to be that planes are beeing used or that they tweaked the 3D towards the 2D planes look. :O)

What i found interesting is the deph of field (for cinematic reasons) in a planes world, well i hope it was and not some low res blurred textures.

Looking forward to it.

Add Comment