User Avatar Image

Midwest Setting

posted by Lena_P on - last edited - Viewed by 738 users

I was just wondering how familiar non-Usonian (I didn't say Americans, are you happy Ginny? :p) types are with the setting of Puzzle Agent? For example, how many of you have seen the Coen brothers films? What do you think of when you hear the term "Midwest"? Do you think of a place in the States? Do you know where the Midwest is? I'm just curious to hear a "foreign" take on the setting, and the images it conjures up.

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I am from the upper west side of Wisconsin... short drive from Minnesota where the game takes place... I think I will be pretty familiar with the setting.... I know you didn't ask me.. but I answered anyhow.

• @Lena_P said: I was just wondering how familiar non-Usonian (I didn't say Americans, are you happy Ginny? :p)

Thanks for the interest!

@Lena_P said: types are with the setting of Puzzle Agent? For example, how many of you have seen the Coen brothers films? What do you think of when you hear the term "Midwest"? Do you think of a place in the States? Do you know where the Midwest is? I'm just curious to hear a "foreign" take on the setting, and the images it conjures up.

Midwest no idea. But basically, it's like those standart settings of North American fiction for me. I think I may watched some of the same setting, or something awfully similar, before, especially because we watch a ton of your fiction here (Most of the movies in theaters are North American in fact!).

I know very little about USA political geography, I know San Francisco is facing the Pacific, Chile has the same hour as New York and Texas has a funny shape (AND a very similar flag compared to the Chilean Flag) but, sadly, appart of New York, any other City in USA is in USA (No specific state or place in the Map) so I can't really tell which state or place is the setting. In fact, I think is in the North of USA because I know the Northest the place is there, the colder will be, but nothing else.

But that's me. Probably a Mexican or a Canadian will be a bit more familiar than me.

• Right now, I'm just thinking it's probably similar to the Prairies.
    I guess before going to Canada, I would have just thought it was similar to "Province", which is the name us snobby Parisians have for every part of France that isn't Paris or its suburbs :p

• Irishmile, I'm thinking it might be a good idea for you to stick around just to so we have an expert on hand.

Okay, so ... no clue about Minnesota. Actually very few US shows are really set in the Midwest, only one that I could think of is Smallville and that's actually filmed in Vancouver which is next to nothing like Kansas. Minnesota isn't so much like the prairies as it's a cross between Ontario and Alberta. It has more snow than Alberta and hotter summers, but the northern half of Minnesota is also farther north than Toronto. It's in the "heartland" of America, traditionally farming communities with a recent history of dwindling populations as younger people move out seeking work in the more populous states.

• Whether it needs to be mid-west specifically I don't know.

Scoggins seems to have more of the same vibe I get from Fargo, Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure etc, even though Peaks was Washington state and NE is Alaska; Imposing forests, harsh weather, small tight knit communities, quirky characters possibly hiding dark secrets and something ominous lurking under the surface.

I think the game setting translates perfectly well outside the USA.

• @Lena_P said: It has more snow than Alberta and hotter summers

More than six months of snow while still having hotter summers? You've got to be kidding me, I'm never going there.

• When I think of Midwest settings, I think of Steven King novels. Sure, it's probably wrong, but well.. As a foreigner it's the first thing that springs in my mind. The second thing is Mike Nelson, but I'm probably the only MST3K fan in Eastern Europe. That's all I can think of the Midwest, but who can blame me... It's full of emo vampires, slasher killers, zombie outbreaks, and... umm... corn?

• When they say nothing ever happens in the Midwest I can vouch for that. It's the most boring place on the earth. The Coen Brothers glamourize. Actually, what Coen Brothers movie is set in the Midwest? No Country For Old Men was it wasn't it?

• @Avistew said: More than six months of snow while still having hotter summers? You've got to be kidding me, I'm never going there.

It snows here from at least October-November and doesn't stop until March-April, and it frequently can get into 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, although 90-100 is far more common for summer months.

So yeah, it's not so fun.

Add Comment