User Avatar Image

What is You Favourite Monkey Island Chapter? (Chapter, not game)

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 547 users

The 'what is your favourite MI game?' threads have been done to death, so I thought I'd go a little deeper and ask people what their favourite Monkey Island chapter is. With 23 in total, there is a lot of choice there, and it allows you to pick your single favourite part of all the games, and not just your favourite entire game.

The poll will be up shortly.

Edit: It's up, so get voting, people!

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Done. The poll is now once again fair.

• Four Map Pieces is MASSIVE in size with 3 large islands to go between and so much to do. It is easily my favourite part of any Monkey Island due to how much there is to explore and how you aren't restricted to one island.

• Yeah, 'Four Map Pieces' truly is quite epic, but I just couldn't suppress my nostalgic impulses, so I think I have to class 'Demise' as my favourite. It isn't the best chapter, I am fully aware of that, but playing it is always quite special for me. Plus, it has a lot of good stuff in there:

- Guybrush hopelessly wishing for things that are actually floating right by him, unbeknown to him - quite a funny scene.
    - Elaine, for the first time, confessing that she loves Guybrush - a defining moment in the series.
    - LeChuck's Skeletal Crew - they're just awesome, who knew that skeletons wearing floaties could look so cool?
    - Elaine shooting LeChuck's sword out of his hand and casually blowing the smoke from the tip of the barrel - Elaine at her coolest; what we need to see more of from her in the future.
    - Guybrush re-uniting with Wally... and making him cry.
    - Controlling the cannon - the first time that first-person shooting has been implemented into a Monkey Island game.
    - Guybrush meeting Murray for the first time - it's so memorable, it's hilarious and each line is a classic.
    - Knocking Murray off his perch and into the water - come on, it's fun.
    - Hearing Guybrush, LeChuck, Wally and Elaine with voice for the very first time - thanks to Dominic Armato, Earl Boen, Neil Ross and Alexandra Boyd
    - Guybrush blasting himself through a door with a cannon - it's entertaining.
    - Ship capsizing - the same reason as seen above. But the lead-up was also good, Earl Boen's voice acting for LeChuck while he is holding the canonball is some of the best voice acting I've ever heard. Those lines stick in my head like glue to this day, I will never forget them.
    - Treasure! - and lots of it, with some funny reactions and comments by Guybrush.
    - Elaine turning to gold - a defining point in Curse, if not the most defining moment in the game.

• The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood, that being the Execution part.
    Those death scenes are still very nicely done, just for the fact that you would not expect that to happen in an MI game, especially it happening to Guybrush.

• "The Thief, The Barkeep, his Aunt and her Lover" because I love Blood Island with the look and all the story and the puzzles.

"Four Map Pieces" and "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood" would round up my top 3.

• This has to be one of the nerdiest things ever

• @doodo! said: This has to be one of the nerdiest things ever

Haha, probably. I'm not worried though, it would only really seem nerdy to somebody who knew nothing about Monkey Island, and those people wouldn't be here anyway.

• @Hayden said: Haha, probably. I'm not worried though, it would only really seem nerdy to somebody who knew nothing about Monkey Island, and those people wouldn't be here anyway.

I played through the games, but never memorized the chapter titles.

This is a big forum, it takes all kinds, I guess...

• @doodo! said: I played through the games, but never memorized the chapter titles.

This is a big forum, it takes all kinds, I guess...

They're listed in order and you can google them easily, so you should be able to vote anyways. Also, most of the titles are self-explanatory.
    I don't think Hayden knew all of them from memory, although I guess I could be wrong.

• @caeska said: Three Sheets to the Wind gets my vote. You can't beat a chapter devoted to insult sword fighting and kick-ass music.

Funny, I've always skipped that one because it went on my nerves. :D

Add Comment