User Avatar Image

Have episodes 2 & 3 been delayed on the iPad?

posted by G.byrne on - last edited - Viewed by 483 users

Not sure if they have been delayed or whether the whole series on the platform has been abandoned. There isn't very much talk on the subject, I did a few forum searches, but I don't see anything tangible on the subject. Any word from anybody on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

--I did see talk about a Wallace and Gromit game and a Puzzle detective game (which both look awesome by the way).

I just finished episode one, it had some minor hitches now and then (it could probably use an update), but overall, it was an awesome game. The iPad has the potential to be a great platform for games such as this.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @jaden551 said: It was released on iPad first.:p

Haha, very true in the case of 301. IIRC the iPad version was a late addition to the platform lineup, though, even then. (I recall reading as such but can't for the life of me remember the source.) And there's been no early release of 302 or 303...

• @Pale Man said: I'm fairly certain they are just putting off the iPad ports until they have a more stable version of their engine running on the iPad, since the first episode was very very rushed to hit the launch date.

This makes sense. I keep forgetting the importance of the software development kit in the "development" process. What do they call it? The Telltale Tool?

• It is actually rather disappointing to play the first episode of Sam and Max in April, and then have to wait who knows how long (at least three months, it seems) for the second "monthly" installment.

Playing on the iPad is a very different experience. Have half an hour to fill in on a train or bus or dentist waiting room or whatever? Play some Sam and Max! It really does lend itself to the episodic nature of Telltale's games.

The convenience factor more than made up for any minor bugs in the iPad version of the game.

• @MediaXYZ said: It is actually rather disappointing to play the first episode of Sam and Max in April, and then have to wait who knows how long (at least three months, it seems) for the second "monthly" installment.

Playing on the iPad is a very different experience. Have half an hour to fill in on a train or bus or dentist waiting room or whatever? Play some Sam and Max! It really does lend itself to the episodic nature of Telltale's games.

The convenience factor more than made up for any minor bugs in the iPad version of the game.

That's exactly what I was thinking... I was playing it on a flight a few weeks back.

• After the iPad was announced, I thought it was the perfect platform for point-and-click adventure games, and secretly wished Sam & Max would make its way there.

I was pleasantly horrified/shocked to find that Season 3 (Episode 1) was announced for iPad, and I rushed through the last couple Season 2 episodes I never got around to, excited that future editions would be on iPad, and much more comfortable/leisurely to play (as adventure games should be).

I'd love an explanation why iPad editions seem to have stopped, other than "different release cycle", which seems to have been the only semi-official comment I've heard.
    The interpreter ban in early April's iOS SDK update is no longer a concern, since Lua interpreters and their ilk are now allowed.

Even with lower quality/framerate levels than the desktop, it's still lightyears away one of the best experiences on iPad.

As it is, I can't give Telltale any more of my money without direction.

• The only reason they would be putting it off is that they either don't have the resources necessary to finish the iPad ports right now, or (more likely) they're trying to make it run more smoothly on iPad. They haven't abandoned it, and the rest of the season WILL come out on iPad, I would guess by the end of the year, but it's hard to say when exactly that will be.
    Wallace and Gromit will be coming to iPad shortly as well. :)

• I too was pleasantly surprised to hear it was coming out on the iPad.

I just find it strange, and annoying, that they haven't made any official comment and continue to leave the "out-of-date" release dates on the iPad Sam & Max site.

An official comment would be appreciated. Even if it's a "it's done when it's done". (regardless of how much I hate that comment, lol, /beginrant John Carmack and Cliffy B can get away with that line because they always follow through, but developers such as the guys behind Duke Forever use it as an excuse to keep something in development hell. /endrant)

• Well, here's hoping they near the final of their Telltale engine. As what some said earlier, it's a fantastic experience playing adventure games like Sam and Max on the iPad. For the time being, though. I do play the series on computer (awaiting the iPad versions) and my current iPad adventure game is Broken Sword. Also, take note, for iPad owners interested in graphic Adventures, that a slew of Scumm-engine graphic adventure ports landed on the system. Just do a search on adventure, in iTunes, and a lot of the early 90s era games got ported. Simon the Sorcerer 1&2, and a few others. Just to let you know, there are things available for one's graphic adventure fix while they wait.

Sam and Max was first, but they also showed that the tablet is a perfect platform for graphic adventures. They really got things started, so I'm glad the system has like 5 of them within the first 2 1/2 months. Thanks Telltale for planting the seed.

• Broken Sword and Simon 1+2 have been out on iPod Touch/iPhone for a while now, they just made enhanced versions of those ports for iPad basically.

(Also, none of those games use SCUMM)

• @Pale Man said: Broken Sword and Simon 1+2 have been out on iPod Touch/iPhone for a while now, they just made enhanced versions of those ports for iPad basically.

(Also, none of those games use SCUMM)

You mean the iPhone versions aren't SCUMM? Because Broken Sword 1 and 2 were both originally SCUMM. I played the PlayStation versions of them on my Mac using scummVM.

Add Comment