User Avatar Image

Movie plotholes/ The only thing that doesn't add up

posted by Dangeresque on - last edited - Viewed by 7.4K users

This is the greatest trilogy ever made (i dont consider the godfather a trilogy cause 3 sucked). everything in this movie was well thought out, all the events and the going back and forth were perfect (especially if you watch them around 15 times each and pick up all the small details :p )

the only thing that think didnt add up in this movie was the fact that Marty's parents doent remember him. i mean sure its 30 years later (speaking of the 1st movie) but even if for only a week he was still a huge influence in both their lives right? when he started getting older wouldnt they start saying, hey wait a minute, this guy looks really familiar.

Worse yet wouldn't george suspect loraine of cheating on her with marty? i mean calvin marty in the late 60s?

just a stupid point. it might make no sence but its something that popped to my head and figure i'd share it. of course dont mean no offence to the trilogy

364 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Dangeresque said: This is the greatest trilogy ever made (i dont consider the godfather a trilogy cause 3 sucked). everything in this movie was well thought out, all the events and the going back and forth were perfect (especially if you watch them around 15 times each and pick up all the small details :p )

the only thing that think didnt add up in this movie was the fact that Marty's parents doent remember him. i mean sure its 30 years later (speaking of the 1st movie) but even if for only a week he was still a huge influence in both their lives right? when he started getting older wouldnt they start saying, hey wait a minute, this guy looks really familiar.

Worse yet wouldn't george suspect loraine of cheating on her with marty? i mean calvin marty in the late 60s?

just a stupid point. it might make no sence but its something that popped to my head and figure i'd share it. of course dont mean no offence to the trilogy

Well, they'd only known Calvin Klein for a few days, and given no photo's were taken, it's understandable that they'd forgotten what he looked like. Plus, when you see someone everyday, it's hard to see them changing until you look at old photos.

• OP is wrong. That's not the only thing that doesn't add up. For one thing 2 plus 2 doesn't make 5 and you can't get 11,111 by adding five ones.

mzl.mdwscbvc.320x480-75.jpg

• Wait, wait... Are you saying that, in the original version of BttF, Marty McFly is mis-called Calvin Klein?
    I have to watch the movies without the Spanish dubbing, then. I suppose that, in the 80's, the Calvin Klein brand wasn't as well known in Spain as it is now, and the translators thought that the Spanish people won't get the joke, so they changed the name. In Spain, he's mis-called "Levi Strauss".

• That's exactly why it was changed. I think he may have been called something else in another country as well, but I can't remember.

• For that matter, wouldn't they have thought of Marty once Calvin Klein clothes actually came out and were popular and well-known?

• I'm pretty sure I've found a plot-hole in part 3, but I can't quite remember exactly what it was... I think it had something to do with the Shonash Ravine being called Clayton Ravine back in 1955, although - with 1985-Doc already back in 1885 - Clara didn't fall into the Ravine, because Doc picked her up from the train station (so that the Ravine wasn't named after her), and 1955-Doc would've never known it as the Clayton Ravine (and still he calls it that).

Of course, we never know if Clara didn't fall into the Ravine AFTER Doc's death in 1885, so it might just as well not be a plot-hole at all.

• @Laserschwert said: I'm pretty sure I've found a plot-hole in part 3, but I can't quite remember exactly what it was... I think it had something to do with the Shonash Ravine being called Clayton Ravine back in 1955, although - with 1985-Doc already back in 1885 - Clara didn't fall into the Ravine, because Doc picked her up from the train station (so that the Ravine wasn't named after her), and 1955-Doc would've never known it as the Clayton Ravine (and still he calls it that).

Of course, we never know if Clara didn't fall into the Ravine AFTER Doc's death in 1885, so it might just as well not be a plot-hole at all.

I haven't watched it in a while, but I think Doc is only inspired to actually go pick her up (and subsequently save her) after having a conversation with Marty. In the pre-Marty timeline he may have been too late.

A more consistent (but sillier) plot hole has to do with the photo of the gravestone. The gravestone in the photo fades and disappears, but logically, the photo itself should vanish as well, since why would anybody take a picture of an empty space? :p

• @LuigiHann said: I haven't watched it in a while, but I think Doc is only inspired to actually go pick her up (and subsequently save her) after having a conversation with Marty. In the pre-Marty timeline he may have been too late.

Yeah, it's been a while here too, but I'm pretty sure that he did pick her up before Marty travels back to 1885, because the tombstone says "Beloved Clara". Once Marty goes back and tells him about his death, Doc decides to not pick up Clara from the train station, to avoid meeting her. Unfortunately they do encounter her on her out-of-control carriage (since nobody picked her up from the train station, she had to get to the town on her own) while they're checking out the Delorean (if I remember correctly), and of course save her.

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@Laserschwert said: I'm pretty sure I've found a plot-hole in part 3, but I can't quite remember exactly what it was... I think it had something to do with the Shonash Ravine being called Clayton Ravine back in 1955, although - with 1985-Doc already back in 1885 - Clara didn't fall into the Ravine, because Doc picked her up from the train station (so that the Ravine wasn't named after her), and 1955-Doc would've never known it as the Clayton Ravine (and still he calls it that).

Your 1955 Doc there is in a different timeline in which it is Clayton Ravine.

When Marty finally returns to 1985 from 1885, he is in a new timeline in which it is called Eastwood Ravine. And if he had decided to return to 1985 a day before the original time travel from the first movie, he would have encountered a 1985 Doc Brown who knew the ravine as Eastwood Ravine.

Though there are plotholes-- especially with the Biff returning to 2010 bit... a lot of the confusion about what to expect boils down to understanding the notion of each trip to the past creating a new divergent timeline.

http://bttf.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

• @Sinaz20 said: Your 1955 Doc there is in a different timeline in which it is Clayton Ravine.

Oh, you're right... so in 1885 there's a new timeline branching off, where the Ravine becomes the Eastwood Ravine. Once Marty travels back to that branching point (of course he actually causes that branching point) he continues along that alternative timeline.

Got it!

I think I was thrown off by the fact that the old maps Doc looks at still have it named "Shonash Ravine", and I thought that was because the now 1885-Doc actually rescued Clara (so it was never named after her). But in fact it was just the old maps that still carried the "Shonash" name.

Add Comment