User Avatar Image

Midwest Setting

posted by Lena_P on - last edited - Viewed by 711 users

I was just wondering how familiar non-Usonian (I didn't say Americans, are you happy Ginny? :p) types are with the setting of Puzzle Agent? For example, how many of you have seen the Coen brothers films? What do you think of when you hear the term "Midwest"? Do you think of a place in the States? Do you know where the Midwest is? I'm just curious to hear a "foreign" take on the setting, and the images it conjures up.

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • To be fair, if wasn't because they already said Minnesota, I would say Alaska

• Pale Man's map is correct. I live in Ohio and we're considered Midwest. In fact, all of the states formed from the old Northwest Territory (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) are considered Midwestern states.

As far as weather goes, those high on the Canadian border like Minnesota and Wisconsin can get a severe amount of snow. However, slightly more southern states like Indiana and my own Ohio tend to be a bit more mild yet can still run the gamut of weather types. Amusingly enough, tying the humidity discussion, I got a firsthand example of how weather here can change quickly in action yesterday at work. The oft-maligned summer humidity was so high that a high-power storm built up practically out of nowhere and knocked out the power at my place of employment. It was out for so long, the sent us home early. I did note the distinct irony of having no lights on the longest day of the year. The storm was so compact, though, that my home, 20 minutes away from my work, was unaffected by the power outages.

• The only time I've been to the Midwest was when I was looking at colleges and thought I might want to go to Notre Dame. I showed up, it was freakishly cold, and then I decided I wanted to go to college somewhere in California.:D

• Wimp! :p (Although when I first moved to the Bay Area I thought the cold was going to kill me. Talking about humidity, northern California gets so dry in Winter my hands bleed if I don't apply moisturizer every hour or so.)

Seriously though, any Midwesterners want to point out some good points about the Midwest? I've heard you guys have lakes, some even call them great?

• @Lena_P said: Wimp! :p (Although when I first moved to the Bay Area I thought the cold was going to kill me. Talking about humidity, northern California gets so dry in Winter my hands bleed if I don't apply moisturizer every hour or so.)

Seriously though, any Midwesterners want to point out some good points about the Midwest? I've heard you guys have lakes, some even call them great?

They're not that great.

Umm... we have cheese curds?

• @Lena_P said: Seriously though, any Midwesterners want to point out some good points about the Midwest?

Me. What more do you need? :D

• Wisconsin if very much like where Hobbits come from .... we have rolling green hills lots of agriculture... LOTS AND LOTS of bars, Pubs, and Taverns... We have some good size cities if you want to live in a city.. Each season is very different from the next and each is rather pretty here....

and come on who doesn't love fat people... and cheese curds?

• I think you guys are underselling your states on purpose! You don't want us to find out how great they are and how cheap the real estate is and flood your towns with vegan restaurants and cupcake bakeries! (Seriously, you can buy a house for less than 200K? A house?!)

• Oh yes.... You can
    This house is listed in my city for $209,900
    3926296_1.jpg

here are some photos from around where I live..
    Dep-34.jpeg
    eau_claire_wi.jpg
    1CA461FC-B0F5-FEB8-F1AD-CE822BDD40EC.jpg

Mabel Tainter theater (where my sister got married)
    176340367_a1e6bab041_b.jpg
    176340363_c59fc4bb34_b.jpg

WINTER TIME

032508_SnowScene.gif
    1287212762_bb0077c491.jpg?v=0
    eau-claire-dells-spring-009.jpg

Add Comment