29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In terms of "play time", the Telltale series are excellent value for money. The entire series costs as much as a full price game, yet each individual episode gives you many hours of inital playthrough (and countless hours of replay value). And just when you've got over a series ending, another one starts; as opposed to wait of between 1 and 3 years with some full priced game franchises. I'm not even going to mention a certain well-respected developer of a certain famous FPS series in this thread :)

Edit: of course, I have to add that the Telltale community adds immensely to the value of games and I'm able to happily waste a few extra days talking old toot on these forums. Unlike that "other" developer that I specifically didn't mention, whose forums appear to be mostly filled with 2-year-olds ;)

• I'm not going to read everything here since I didn't finish the episode but I just want to say I didn't feel like the episode was especialy easy. Future vision makes sure you never get lost like you used to in the previous seasons and the hints direct you to where you need to be. So it does feel easyer but some of the puzzles were rather sophisticated and required you to have the right items at the time and placing and activating different characters. It felt abit like the old Goblins games =^^= I liked it and didn't feel like it was too easy.

• @bobtheskutter said: I think that this entire season has been pretty easy but maybe that is just because they are avoiding inventory puzzles. I can't actually remember using anything in this recent episode from my inventory apart from the headset and remote guide control. Oh and my gun once. Yes, that was satisfying. Mmm. Anyway, my point is that they are obviously going away from inventory puzzles and it's pretty awesome that they are trying new forms of gameplay and not the typical LucasArt kind. However... it's just really easy.

The quick gameplay preserves the pace of the story though and in this season I think the story is actually brilliantly conceived (unlike previous seasons which have been a bit too patchy and unconnected for me). If the story weren't so strong, I'd be complaining about how easy it is. But it's almost worth sacrificing the joy of puzzle solving for a plot as good as this.

Maybe. If the story flags in the slightest I will start to get grumpy... Because a few tough puzzles would also be nice.

I agree with this entirely. As much as I love a good inventory-fest, I don't necessarily want that in every adventure game I play. I think it's great that Telltale is leading this genre in some new directions.

There is a point, though, at which a game could go too far in emphasizing cinematics over gameplay. It seems there are some here who might think 303 has reached that point already. Fair enough. But no game developer can please all the players all the time when it comes to finding the right balance.

• @thom-22 said: I agree with this entirely. As much as I love a good inventory-fest, I don't necessarily want that in every adventure game I play. I think it's great that Telltale is leading this genre in some new directions.

There is a point, though, at which a game could go too far in emphasizing cinematics over gameplay. It seems there are some here who might think 303 has reached that point already. Fair enough. But no game developer can please all the players all the time when it comes to finding the right balance.

Sure, I'll buy that. I think as far as the season goes, placing the cinematic-heavy episode in the middle makes sense. Really, I'm not complaining about the balance, necessarily, just offering an explanation of why the puzzles may seem easier to some.

• Removing inventory puzzles with just a single inventory item, rhinoplasty and base all puzzles around that is hardly an improvement in my book.

Tomato-Tomatho- Inventory - Physic Powers

There were a few ingenious puzzles in 301 that aren't just "use X on Y", but sadly none in 303...

Add Comment