User Avatar Image

Countdown to Ep 3 - "They Stole Max's Brain!"

posted by ttg_Stemmle on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

Hey, all. Mike Stemmle here.

With Episode 303 making the final turn before hitting the virtual streets, now seems like a good time for a "members only"* thread in which Joe Pinney and I open up the floor to a few questions about the episode.

What can I tell y'all about this ep? It's got:

- Sam as you've never seen him!
- Max taking charge of an investigation!
- Hot Ape-on-Cockroach action!
- More rhinoplastying than you can shake a stick at!
- Sam's surprising new partner!

Consider the floodgates open,
Mike "Finishing 304 as I Type" Stemmle

* We should have jackets!

375 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Heh. I always get tingly whenever someone claims I am an adventure expert or something.

I am not, I need walkthroughs with SoMI:SE for example, or the earlier 2 seasons of Sam&Max, and pretty much all adventure games really (I really like the genre, despite sucking in it).

Yet S&M303 (and 301, 302 was more like it) still feels unbelievable easy to me. I can only imagine what a cakewalk it would be with someone actually having skills in adventure games.

• @Hassat Hunter said: Heh. I always get tingly whenever someone claims I am an adventure expert or something.

I am not, I need walkthroughs with SoMI:SE for example, or the earlier 2 seasons of Sam&Max, and pretty much all adventure games really (I really like the genre, despite sucking in it).

Yet S&M303 (and 301, 302 was more like it) still feels unbelievable easy to me. I can only imagine what a cakewalk it would be with someone actually having skills in adventure games.

I am sure that it would be harder than you think for a classically-trained adventure gamer, as they trained themselves to use odd solutions using what seem to be unrelated items.

That said, the season so far has been easier; if a classically-trained adventure gamer using their skill gained through all of those years, though, they would have some trouble adjusting, as these are less "use item on this to make a wacky result" puzzles and more logical puzzles.

So thus, in summary, adventure gamers nowadays have to use a bit of a different skill set than was needed for the classics, so it would not necessarily ridiculously easy for them.

• I would have agreed with such if 303 wasn't basically "smear rhinoplasty on everything" lacking any other objects for interaction (either power, inventory item or set piece affecting other set piece)...

Teleportation and the reel device worked much better for what you describe.

• @Hassat Hunter said: I would have agreed with such if 303 wasn't basically "smear rhinoplasty on everything" lacking any other objects for interaction (either power, inventory item or set piece affecting other set piece)...

Teleportation and the reel device worked much better for what you describe.

i didn't feel very much for the use rhinoplasty on everything. i dont want the next two episodes to involve something like this.

• I thought it was easy-ish. My adventure gaming career started with Telltale (although I did play Pajama Sam as a kid),though , so I don't consider myself an experienced adventure gamer.

• So you're basically saying it needs to be harder so you can get off the game and read a walkthrough? To be honest that doesn't sound much fun.

• Well, I was playing season 2 around christmas-time, so the whole season was out, but I felt "stuck" most of the times, but I don't know whether that was because the season was already done or because I was really stuck, but I think these games in s3 are still good, because anyway, you want to beat these in one sitting, all in game, no walkthrough.

• Personally I mostly play for the story and awesome cutscenes and dialog, jokes, stuff like that, so it doesn't bother me that much that it was so easy.
    Still, I would like it if it were harder, if that is possible. Still we don't want to end up with another episode as buggy as 302, and having too many different puzzles is sure to get quite a few bugs.

• Changing the theme guys, in which moment we can start to annoy for the "Countdown to Ep 4" Thread? After the release of Puzzle Agent?

• @GinnyN said: Changing the theme guys, in which moment we can start to annoy for the "Countdown to Ep 4" Thread? After the release of Puzzle Agent?

no, we can start now!

Add Comment