25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @The Highway said: ARE YOU KIDDING? I gave it a 9/10

Oh, I didn't realize the whole world was supposed to agree with what they like in video games. I'll go change my review real quick.

My review was positive, I just didn't like it as much as the other episodes.

• @The Highway said: Shit, man. That's incredibly spoilery...

Yeah, I don't like to venture beyond the first act in any concrete details I put in my reviews. You can share how you feel about something without showing it, or even talking about it in detail. I understand the video review nature means you don't want to repeat a lot of footage, but I know personally I wouldn't have wanted to know about the shift that occurs half-way through the episode before playing. My favorite kind of review is something I can read before playing and get excited, then re-read after playing and understand some of the finer points addressed.

Not trying to call you out Zeitgeist. I'm just saying that I try to handle things differently.

• @KLind said: Yeah, I don't like to venture beyond the first act in any concrete details I put in my reviews. You can share how you feel about something without showing it, or even talking about it in detail. I understand the video review nature means you don't want to repeat a lot of footage, but I know personally I wouldn't have wanted to know about the shift that occurs half-way through the episode before playing. My favorite kind of review is something I can read before playing and get excited, then re-read after playing and understand some of the finer points addressed.

Not trying to call you out Zeitgeist. I'm just saying that I try to handle things differently.

Yup no problem. If every reviewer did everything identical, there would be no point for multiple reviewers. We all have our own style, some like it, some don't.

• @KLind said: Yeah, I don't like to venture beyond the first act in any concrete details I put in my reviews. You can share how you feel about something without showing it, or even talking about it in detail. I understand the video review nature means you don't want to repeat a lot of footage, but I know personally I wouldn't have wanted to know about the shift that occurs half-way through the episode before playing. My favorite kind of review is something I can read before playing and get excited, then re-read after playing and understand some of the finer points addressed.

Reviews aren't there to get you excited though, they exist to inform on the quality of something. If the half-way shift is something the reviewer thinks needs commenting on, I see no reason why it can't be mentioned. If you're being vague about it to the detriment of the actual analysis, then what's the point? I don't think huge plot points should be mentioned, but, for example, something like naming a character has to be done else the reader is in the dark as to who you mean.

Just my take. As Zeitgeit says above, we all have our own style.

To address the main post, I enjoyed your video review. Very professional and some good points raised.

• @Pinchpenny said: Reviews aren't there to get you excited though, they exist to inform on the quality of something. If the half-way shift is something the reviewer thinks needs commenting on, I see no reason why it can't be mentioned. If you're being vague about it to the detriment of the actual analysis, then what's the point? I don't think huge plot points should be mentioned, but, for example, something like naming a character has to be done else the reader is in the dark as to who you mean.

To address the main post, I enjoyed your video review. Very professional and some good points raised.

Thank you much.

• @Pinchpenny said:

YOU CAN'T HANDLE HIS STYLE. NO YOU CAN'T, NO YOU CAN'T (UH) HANDLE HIS STYLE.

Sorry. Strong Bad wanted me to let him onto the computer, and this is what happened.

• I watched it before playing the game and it's not very spoilery-y-y.
    I was actually glad to know beforehand that the most annoying part of the episode will not be longer than about 30 Minutes which it really was in the end (29 minutes for me)

• @der_ketzer said: I watched it before playing the game and it's not very spoilery-y-y.
    I was actually glad to know beforehand that the most annoying part of the episode will not be longer than about 30 Minutes which it really was in the end (29 minutes for me)

tbh when I started the episode and the interrogation I feared that the whole episode would consist of this (sounds stupid I know). I didn't hate the interrogation though... I welcomed the new gameplay variation. I thought it fit into the episode well and was good to see another side to Sam.

• Sounds like a pretty fair review, somewhat similar to my own opinions, if not a bit more forgiving.

Also watched your Alpha Protocol one, and have to agree with you there...

• Fair reasoning on what you liked/disliked about the game in this review, but WAAY too spoilery.

This video review will ruin it for the people who are just curious to know if its any good without having anything plot-wise given away.

Add Comment