User Avatar Image

Have episodes 2 & 3 been delayed on the iPad?

posted by G.byrne on - last edited - Viewed by 370 users

Not sure if they have been delayed or whether the whole series on the platform has been abandoned. There isn't very much talk on the subject, I did a few forum searches, but I don't see anything tangible on the subject. Any word from anybody on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

--I did see talk about a Wallace and Gromit game and a Puzzle detective game (which both look awesome by the way).

I just finished episode one, it had some minor hitches now and then (it could probably use an update), but overall, it was an awesome game. The iPad has the potential to be a great platform for games such as this.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @wildcardd said: *sigh* I was afraid this was the case. Damn...I loved the first ep on my iPad. Thought it was perfect for adventure gaming. Too bad that it got too complex for the 'pad. I need my fix while flying.

Perhaps Monkey Island?? Or an older season of S&M?

Tales of Monkey Island... Or Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People... I love that game title, somebody needs an award for coming up with that name.

I sure hope they don't give up on at least trying to make Sam & Max season 3 work.

• That is saddening. If the other Sam and Max episodes were available on iPad, I would buy them in an instant. In fact, I would probably be happy to pay a premium for the privillage. As it is, I won't be buying them for PC/Mac because I know I just won't have enough available time in front of my computer at home to really enjoy the game.

I guess I'll just have to just wait to see what else Telltale comes up with for the platform. Wallace and Gromit would be great, assuming we get more than just 20% of the game... :-P

• @Psy said: The second episode of The Devil's Playhouse was significantly larger than originally intended, both in terms of graphics complexity and sheer data size. Dealing with both of those on the iPad, a platform that we're already pushing to the limit, has made releasing the rest of season 3 incredibly problematic. I won't say that it's not coming out on the iPad since we're still considering it, but we don't have a set date.

Trust me, we've taken steps to ensure that future games can be ported to the iPad without these problems and we've already demonstrated Puzzle Agent on the iPad... we're not cutting out the platform or anything!

What sort of steps? Tomb of Sammun-Mak was one of my favorite episodes so far partly because of its size and complexity. I'd hate to see you hold yourselves back and deliberately create smaller and less graphically complex games purely for the sake of iPad ports. I can't help but think Tales of Monkey Island may have suffered a little bit because you had to make sure the games could be compressed to fit WiiWare's absurdly small download size limit.

• @thesporkman said: What sort of steps? Tomb of Sammun-Mak was one of my favorite episodes so far partly because of its size and complexity. I'd hate to see you hold yourselves back and deliberately create smaller and less graphically complex games purely for the sake of iPad ports. I can't help but think Tales of Monkey Island may have suffered a little bit because you had to make sure the games could be compressed to fit WiiWare's absurdly small download size limit.

Nobody wants them to sacrifice quality for the ipad... I would rather not have the game on this console than see that happen. (Speaking for myself)

@thesporkman said: That is saddening. If the other Sam and Max episodes were available on iPad, I would buy them in an instant. In fact, I would probably be happy to pay a premium for the privillage. As it is, I won't be buying them for PC/Mac because I know I just won't have enough available time in front of my computer at home to really enjoy the game.

I guess I'll just have to just wait to see what else Telltale comes up with for the platform. Wallace and Gromit would be great, assuming we get more than just 20% of the game... :-P

Considering what you just said, I would be skeptical about buying anymore episodic games on the iPad for the exact reason that they may be abandoned. Not saying it has been abandoned, I don't want to come across sounding apocalyptic here.

Puzzle Agent is different. The graphics lend well to the iPad and it isn't episodic.

• User Avatar Image
    Ben Telltale Staff

Sam and Max 3 was built for the PC, Mac, and PS3. When the iPad came along we decided we wanted in, so we evaluated several options for a launch release. Sam and Max 3 wasn't the only thing considered, but we really wanted to push the platform and release something new and impressive. After many late nights and lots of ARM assembly, we had it running, so we decided to go with it.

Unfortunately, as Psy said, episode 2 is even shinier than episode 1 and will require even more engineering time to get running on the iPad. I'd love to work on this, but at the moment we have kind of a lot going on. I REALLY want to get it out eventually though.

When we say future games will be ported to the iPad with no problem, we don't mean every game we make from now on will be built for the iPad. Puzzle Agent was built from the ground with the iPad/iPhone in mind and it runs great. Wallace and Gromit is running much better than Sam and Max on the iPad, so we're certainly not limited to mostly 2D sprite animations. But we will continue to target the more powerful platforms as well.

• @Ben said: Sam and Max 3 was built for the PC, Mac, and PS3. When the iPad came along we decided we wanted in, so we evaluated several options for a launch release. Sam and Max 3 wasn't the only thing considered, but we really wanted to push the platform and release something new and impressive. After many late nights and lots of ARM assembly, we had it running, so we decided to go with it.

Unfortunately, as Psy said, episode 2 is even shinier than episode 1 and will require even more engineering time to get running on the iPad. I'd love to work on this, but at the moment we have kind of a lot going on. I REALLY want to get it out eventually though.

When we say future games will be ported to the iPad with no problem, we don't mean every game we make from now on will be built for the iPad. Puzzle Agent was built from the ground with the iPad/iPhone in mind and it runs great. Wallace and Gromit is running much better than Sam and Max on the iPad, so we're certainly not limited to mostly 2D sprite animations. But we will continue to target the more powerful platforms as well.

Thanks for the reply! The information is appreciated.

• Makes sense, even though I was rather impressed with the performance of Sam and Max 301 on the iPad, especially with your short development time. You defintely showed the potential for folks to do even more impressive works and faster speeds given a longer development schedule. iOS4 should improve that further as I've already watched some of the developer's seminars which talked about some new speedy rendering options built into the APIs.

Still, to play Sam and Max on the iPad, and outside little bugs here and there, a solid performer all while the iPad remained cool to the touch, during the entire duration. My first hand-held device, I've ever had, where the device remained cool to the touch while really pushing it's graphics.

I look forward to Puzzle Agent. I'm also a big Prof. Layton fan, so this different take on it should be something quite entertaining and yet give Prof. Layton fans more of what they enjoy. Story-based Adventurous Puzzle Collections could become a sub-genre.

• I guess it is all about priorities. I have no idea how many copies of The Penal Zone have been sold for iPad, but being a very new platform, I would imagine that it would only be a fraction, compared to PC sales (for example). As a business, Telltale would presumably need to focus on areas that make the most money. Hopefully one day I might actually find out what happens in Sam and Max season 3, without just reading the walkthroughs. :-)

That said, Telltale really did set the bar high with the first iPad adventure game. It will be tough for other companies to better.

• I wouldn't say that. Remember, the game was released with a very short turnaround and a tight schedule. And on a completely new platform for them. Unless i'm mistaken, I haven't seen them make any game for the iOS(iPhone OS) before this game. Imagine the quality that could be produced with more time to develop. There is a good amount of talent, for devs on that system. Stuff like Real Racing is still a graphical tour de force for it. Just that you see something like episode 301 in such a short time to code. It says a lot for what people will eventually do with the unit. Especially once iOS4 comes out for it.

• @akaimizu said: I wouldn't say that. Remember, the game was released with a very short turnaround and a tight schedule. And on a completely new platform for them. Unless i'm mistaken, I haven't seen them make any game for the iOS(iPhone OS) before this game. Imagine the quality that could be produced with more time to develop. There is a good amount of talent, for devs on that system. Stuff like Real Racing is still a graphical tour de force for it. Just that you see something like episode 301 in such a short time to code. It says a lot for what people will eventually do with the unit. Especially once iOS4 comes out for it.

It was also a launch title... It came out before the iPad was even available for widespread purchase.

Add Comment